Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Does this exist, is so how?
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Snow_Fox
I saw something recently in a film and yes I know we're playing Sci fi and so no reason it can't work but I wondered if it was real and if so things like cost and shelf life-

men breaking into a compound with a chain link fence took out an aerosol can, sprayed a line around the edge of it and after waiting a momment pulled and the whole section came apart in their hands creating an entrace without the issue of having to cut each link.

I assume cid would be too dangerous but wondered if it was some hyper cold element.
KarmaInferno
Nanite cutters in a can would work.

-k
Jaid
QUOTE (KarmaInferno @ May 5 2013, 12:13 PM) *
Nanite cutters in a can would work.

-k

sure, that sounds so much safer than acid nyahnyah.gif ^^

let's spray gray goo on everything! what could possibly go wrong wink.gif

@snow_fox: maybe if the guy using it was strong... http://www.popsci.com/diy/article/2012-08/...ps-bike-thieves

(you may get better results by using some similar substance that is even colder)
BishopMcQ
Would liquid nitrogen work? It's substantially colder than the compressed air. Make sure to wear gloves with cold protection (Industrial coveralls perhaps?)
Ixal
I remember that in the SR3 introductory adventure you do something like that.
BishopMcQ
Back in SR3 there was a spray that worked on a certain bad batch of plasticrete. You could spray it and turn the plasticrete soft for a little while. I only got to use it once, but tons of my characters had a can of the stuff in their backpack. It was like almost as fun as using a catalyst stick on the stealth rope while the opposition was on it.
CanRay
Yeah, likely either an acid (That can't eat the can?) or a freezing material to make the chainlink fence brittle.

Me, I'll pull out the Monofilament Chainsaw. biggrin.gif
hermit
There is an universal solvent for Plastisteel-7 (DNA-DOA).

men breaking into a compound with a chain link fence took out an aerosol can, sprayed a line around the edge of it and after waiting a momment pulled and the whole section came apart in their hands creating an entrace without the issue of having to cut each link.

A slightly dramatized version of Liquid Nitrogen, I guess. It could also be a compound to rapidly oxidize iron wire to Iron(II)oxide - rust is crumbly enough to just be kicked in after all.
CanRay
QUOTE (hermit @ May 5 2013, 02:01 PM) *
A slightly dramatized version of Liquid Nitrogen, I guess. It could also be a compound to rapidly oxidize iron wire to Iron(II)oxide - rust is crumbly enough to just be kicked in after all.
Yes, because movies and TV shows are so accurate to science and such things. nyahnyah.gif

BTW: The hacking scene in Far Cry 3: Blood Dragon is HILARIOUS!
Stahlseele
if you don't mind a thermal and maybe optical signature, strips of thermite ignited would make that hole quick.
kzt
As would a Stihl rescue saw if you didn't mind the noise. However I don't think that helps her either.
CanRay
QUOTE (kzt @ May 5 2013, 02:58 PM) *
As would a Stihl rescue saw if you didn't mind the noise. However I don't think that helps her either.
If you're going to make noise, go big: Bangalore Torpedo and then smash through the remnants with a BAAC!
KarmaInferno
The new GI Joe movie had magic gloves that could melt through chainlink like butter but somhow didn't burn the user.

Just a thought.

-k
Manunancy
QUOTE (Jaid @ May 5 2013, 08:16 PM) *
sure, that sounds so much safer than acid nyahnyah.gif ^^

let's spray gray goo on everything! what could possibly go wrong wink.gif

If your nanites are non-replicating and programmed to go only after a limited range of materials (namely, what's found in a chain link fence) and burn out after a short while, yes that would be safer. Especially with an acid strong enough to eat quickly through a few millimeters or iron/steel -and possibly the plastic coating on it too).

With the nanites, if the container gets broken, it might damage your clothes and armor, but your skin would be safe. Not with the acid .Depending on the design of the fence, it may also let the nanites leave embedded cut-detection wires (be they copper of fiberoptic) alone.

But for that sort of quiet work and if speed isn't critical, a Pocket-knife size declination of the vibroblade (or even a strng user and a small monoblade) would work nicely.
Rubic
You could also use the Micro-welder (Tools section of SR4 core and SR4A) if you don't mind the heat signature. It was probably a dramatized version of freeon or some other hyper-cool compressed chemical.
Shaidar
Kind of like Compressed Air Keyboard cleaner used by one Michael Weston on the show Burn Notice.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012