Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Possessed cars
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Bearclaw
The description of possession spirits specifically mentions a car being possessed and able to drive. But, as none of the possession type spirits seem to be able to learn any pilot skills, would they just default? It seems like a possessed car should be a good thing, but I'm not finding anything in the rules to back that up. Mostly, I'd like to be able to prepare a van as a vessel, and let a task spirit be the teams wheel man, but .... ?
Any help would be appreciated.
ChromeZephyr
Bad idea.
Stahlseele
QUOTE (ChromeZephyr @ May 10 2013, 09:18 PM) *

Bubblegum Crysis

Episode 4
"Revenge Road" 1988-07-24 (40 min)
A racer modifies his car into a weapon of vengeance against the biker gangs of Megatokyo, but the car soon develops a mind of its own.

A bit more fitting to Shadowrun i think.

Alternatively:
His Evil Twin
Bearclaw
So all of these drive pretty well. Probably not just defaulting to reaction -2
Stahlseele
KARR, at least, probbly has AT LEAST the Pilot-Soft Groud-Vehicle installed i think, which would give him what? CPU+Soft Dice-pool to drive around.
Which is enough to get from a to b safely. with some logic installed, he could follow simple instructions as well i would guess.

Christine is NOT a good car. It's a beautifull car. It drives like crap. It just. does. not. care. As it simply regenerates the damage from that driving style.
Which would probably work kinda with a prepared as a vessel car . . BUT and here is the BIG BUTT and i can not lie: why have a spirit actually try and possess a Car?
Get a Spirit with the Materialization power and give him the form of a car, bam, presto, perfection!
3D Movement, no fuel needed, no signature at all, no disrupted spirit with a destroyed vessel. And it vanishes into thin air when not needed anymore!
And even more importante: YOU CAN DRIVE IT AROUND ON THE ASTRAL AND IN THE META PLANES! And in meatspace, into the air, because hey: 3D-Movement!
The Downside: This only works with a bound Ally Spirit. And there is actually precedent for this in both rule-book and novel i think.
Novel at least i KNOW there is something like this. Talon and his Motorbike-Ally-Spirit. And i think in one of the Magic Sourcebooks it talks about a Spirit in the Form of an OLD MUSTANG.
And a FREE SPIRIT in the form of a San Francisco Cable Car. Don't ask why, the spirit just enjoys carting people from a to b and back it seems . . .

Furthermore, a possession Spirit in the Car will eat through Services like players eat through snacks . .
It is, in concept, a nice idea . . but in the context of the rules, it is simply not feasible i am afraid . .

*pokes thread*
did i kill it? <.<;,
Bearclaw
QUOTE (Stahlseele @ May 10 2013, 12:54 PM) *
Furthermore, a possession Spirit in the Car will eat through Services like players eat through snacks . .
It is, in concept, a nice idea . . but in the context of the rules, it is simply not feasible i am afraid . .

I was thinking something like "get us to rally point A in one piece without being followed" would be a service. It's a task spirit possessing a car after all. I shouldn't need to micro manage.

edit> or maybe "(1)lose our pursuit and (2) get us to the rally point in one piece" would be 2 services.
Stahlseele
Better Two Services would be, if the Spirit has these Powers in this order:
Use Guard on the Car!
Use Movement on the Car!
And then you drive there at the speed of sound and only surface to surface or air to surface missles could actually catch up to you. Maybe.
And even if they do, Guard will keep you reasonably safe.
The Idea gets Bonus Points in the Style Department, but not in Useability.
CanRay
QUOTE (Stahlseele @ May 10 2013, 05:09 PM) *
Better Two Services would be, if the Spirit has these Powers in this order:
Use Guard on the Car!
Use Movement on the Car!
And then you drive there at the speed of sound and only surface to surface or air to surface missles could actually catch up to you. Maybe.
And even if they do, Guard will keep you reasonably safe.
The Idea gets Bonus Points in the Style Department, but not in Useability.
So... Back To The Future flaming tires? biggrin.gif
Stahlseele
QUOTE (CanRay @ May 11 2013, 12:39 AM) *
So... Back To The Future flaming tires? biggrin.gif

can't believe i actually forgot about that <.<;,
Seerow
Having a low force invoked plant spirit around to possess your vehicle after a run sounds like a great way to save money on repair bills.
CanRay
QUOTE (Seerow @ May 10 2013, 05:53 PM) *
Having a low force invoked plant spirit around to possess your vehicle after a run sounds like a great way to save money on repair bills.
"Please state the Make and Model of vehicle you're pursuing." "A Quercus Robusta of unknown year." "... Damnit Harvey, quit using Latin on the radio!"
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012