Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Free City of Hamburg
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
sk8bcn
Well, I have a big scenario in Germany (replacing the awfull one of Harlequin) and uses for that the Germany Sourcebook.

About Hamburg: nigh no reference in it (except the Venice of the North). Found that on internet:

http://shadowruncontracts.lefora.com/2011/...-german-states/

Known as the “Venice of the North”, a great part of the Free Hanseatic City of Hamburg is now underwater. A victim of the atrophic flooding that assailed the northern coast during the Black Tide of 2011, instead of giving up, Hamburg adapted to its new geography. Lower levels of flooded buildings were sealed off and upper stories were remodeled to serve as the ground floor. As a hotbed of political activism and anti-megacorprations currents, the Hamburg Senate has shown its strong sense of independence through its explicit disapproval of S-K’s and the Frankfurt Bank Association’s latest meddling in the country’s political and financial decision making. With the Allied German States inexorably sliding towards corporate democracy, Hamburg’s opposition has led to continued strife within the Bundestat.

From the few reference I've seen in Germany Sourcebook, the city seems very poor. Is that more detailed in Shadows of Europe? Or simply a decision they took? I'd see the city as a touristical one but that cannot work without infrastructure. And who says infrastructure says major investments. As they are free city, I'd only see corporate investement there.

I may make it half a touristic place but not yet corporate crowded, half a squatter place.
Mantis
From Shadow of Europe:

For years, the authorities have tried to make the free
and Hanseatic City of Hamburg a safer place to live-and
more importantly, to conduct business in. Though large parts
of Hamburg are flooded and beyond corporate control, the
government and corporations work together against the
influential and well-organized smuggler bands. Mitsuhama
Germany advertised the latest combined attempt to monitor
and control the naval traffic throughout Hamburg's channels
as the sonar-based version of the ALI (Autofahrer Leit- und
Informationssystem, the German equivalent of GridGuide).
By dropping sonar-equipped buoys throughout the
channels and issuing permits to corporate, government and
some civilian transports, recognition of non-authorized traffic
will immediately trigger an alarm signal and inform the
nearest security force patrol. The SUNS (Sonar Underwater
Navigation System) project's weak link, however, is the level
of maintenance needed for those buoys-thousands are
required for complete surveillance of the submerged parts of
the city. So far, MCf has only planted half of them, and only
half of these function properly.

It is also used in the Dawn of Artifacts adventure, Darkest Hour, but as I am playing that one right now, I'm not going to go through it to dig up info.
Blade
If you read French, you'll find here and here an alternate version of Hamburg, based on what was available in Runner Havens.

I've never been to Hamburg so I don't know how realistic it is, but it was a great setting for one of my campaigns.
Stahlseele
It is pretty realistic.
The German version of the SR4 City Book got a BIG chapter on Hamburg too.
As for venice of the north:
We are that even today.
We have more channels and bridges than both Venice and Amsterdam combined.
The flood has destroyed the north/western part of the city and the parts closest to the Elbe of course.
On the other hand, this also gives the corps that what they want even today: more room for a new harbour with deeper water for bigger ships.
The bigger island in the elbe is basically half sunk, with buildings leaning a bit sideways kinda like the crooked tower in italy, because the ground softened up.
They secured that and kept it like that for the most part, remaking it into the new in/entertainment sector of the city, the musical island.
Don't forget that Hamburg ain't just the city, or even just the megaplex. Hamburg is it's own little state with way more room around the core city.
The big graveyard is a den of ghouls. And it is REALLY big . . Today, the graveyard itself hs on it's premises no less than 10 bus stops. That Big.
The botanical garden/planten un blomen (plants and flowers) in shadowrun is interesting for magical types because of plant telesma, but of course belongs to somebody else.
Of course, there is still an airport around too, and a pretty big one with sub orbitals and the such. This makes hamburg still an important point for traveling overseas.
Hovercrafts are the preferred method of transportation, because of the large open water-spaces and flat land around and in the city electrical water-ski with some minisubs here and there.
There is still normal pedestrian stuff happening too, Hamburg just took what we have today in our harbour and made that par for the course for the flooded parts of the city. Swimming pontons.

Hamburg had one really big flooding in real life history, hamburg KNOWS how to deal with the blank hans. (Which is northerner for the Norhsea)
Thanee
QUOTE (sk8bcn @ May 15 2013, 10:27 AM) *
Well, I have a big scenario in Germany (replacing the awfull one of Harlequin) ...

Welcome Chumlichen*!

* the german word for Chummer (which, BTW, is complete and utter nonsense; Chumlichen isn't even a word, much less a german one biggrin.gif).

Bye
Thanee
Stahlseele
Yeah the Gratuitous German is really bad in shadowrun for the most part . .
[ Spoiler ]

*points left and downwards a bit*
sk8bcn
Thanks for the stuff! Good to know.

I'll read that french version of Hamburg.

By the way, I speak french (I'm french) but german too and yes that "chumlichen" sounds stupid.

But anyway I don't care a lot about shadowslang. It doesn't sound cool in french. (Neither does german words into that book, like those Junge).

I like dumpshock as that goldmine informations, garçons!
Stahlseele
if your german is up to snuff:
http://www.shadowiki.de/Hamburg
BishopMcQ
For Darkest Hour, all mistakes about Hamburg are mine entirely. It would have been worse if the German freelancers hadn't smacked me around a bit and helped with maps, facts from German source material etc. But yes, there is a write-up and locations in DotA 3.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012