Full Version: In Depth Look at Contents of Box Set
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Opti
This is the extended description for the 5th ed. book

http://www.gametrademagazine.com/Home/1/1/...rticleID=133378
Opti
" revamped technomancers that are more distinct from hackers"
Draco18s
A nice article, but it's not really an in-depth look at what the kit actually is. Sure, it lists all of the things and gives an overview, but that overview is brief and contains no depth of detail.

Ah well.
Bigity
I like modular maps aka dungeon tile sets.

Never liked the price on them though.
Draco18s
QUOTE (Bigity @ May 20 2013, 12:48 PM) *
I like modular maps aka dungeon tile sets.

Never liked the price on them though.

A friend of mine paid like $280 for some via Kickstarter. Worked out to like 50 cents a tile (that is, 50 cents per square inch) or something like that.

But yeah. I agree.
MADness
I don't think the author of this article is familiar with first, second, or third edition. They keep referencing mechanics from fourth as from "previous editions." Specifically Edge, which was used in fourth, but not the prior three.
Shaidar
SR1-3 called what Edge does Karma Pool. The mechanic has existed from the beginning, it was never a choice you could make at character gen before SR4 though.
BishopMcQ
MADness--Looking at the author's name, I'd say it's a safe bet that he is familiar with the previous editions.
Mach_Ten
QUOTE (BishopMcQ @ May 21 2013, 03:50 AM) *
MADness--Looking at the author's name, I'd say it's a safe bet that he is familiar with the previous editions.

his LinkedIn photo is amezzing smile.gif

Shadowrun Line Developer ... Mad Scientist ....
Epicedion
Easier to use Matrix rules? Get out! No other edition has ever promised easier to use Matrix rules.
Iduno
QUOTE (BishopMcQ @ May 20 2013, 09:50 PM) *

Right. It's 4th edition where he had problems.
lokii
QUOTE (CanRay @ May 21 2013, 08:27 PM) *
You mean:

Box, Box... Who's got the Box?

Box, Box... Who wants the Box?

Box, Box... What's in the Box?
Grak
I didn't see a GM screen listed in that package which is pretty disheartening. I really hope this has more for us older runners then custom dice.

What's do you think the chances of CGL releasing another Runners Toolkit with the GM screen and those combat cards? Cause that's what I was looking for in this thing. Those cards made teaching new comers so much easier and GM screens are always brilliant for us folk who hide behind em.
tasti man LH
Starter box sets for RPGs typically don't have the GM screen.

It's usually sold seperately from the starter box set.
Larsine
So there will be a starter box for beginners, and Shadowrun Fifth Edition Quick-Start Rules?

http://www.catalystgamelabs.com/2013/03/12...e-rpg-day-2013/
tasti man LH
Looks like it...

Quick Start's the way to go if you don't want the other fancy pamphlets and dice. biggrin.gif
Grak
QUOTE (Larsine @ May 24 2013, 09:22 AM) *
So there will be a starter box for beginners, and Shadowrun Fifth Edition Quick-Start Rules?

http://www.catalystgamelabs.com/2013/03/12...e-rpg-day-2013/

I get the feeling the quick-start rules will be in the starter set. Why make two different sets of rules for newbies?
The set is a more rounded out starter kit from the look of it and I like the idea of a hacker adventure. I'll probably pick it up to glance that over and for those specialized dice I covet.

Damn CGL. They know Shadowrun grants instant access to my wallet.
KarmaInferno
Aww, not available til after Origins Game Fair has already started...

-k
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012