Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Upgrading Ware
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
yesferatu
Hey guys,

How does upgrading bio/cyberware work?

Cyberware:
(e.g.) Buying from Wired Reflexes 1 to 2.
Do you need to remove the old ware and reinstall the next level?

Bioware
(e.g) Muscle Toner 1 to 4.
Do you need to grow a new level 4 organ or can you increase the level incrementally?

Nal0n
QUOTE (yesferatu @ May 22 2013, 09:20 PM) *
Hey guys,

How does upgrading bio/cyberware work?

Cyberware:
(e.g.) Buying from Wired Reflexes 1 to 2.
Do you need to remove the old ware and reinstall the next level?

Yes! You can sell the old one as used ware though.

QUOTE (yesferatu @ May 22 2013, 09:20 PM) *
Bioware
(e.g) Muscle Toner 1 to 4.
Do you need to grow a new level 4 organ or can you increase the level incrementally?

Grow and implant a new one! Every time you upgrade. And no used cultured Bioware either. So better save those Nuyen 'til you can get the level you want.
Aaron
You kinda pull out the old version and put in the new one. When you take out the old system, you leave an "Essence hole" because you don't get the Essence back, but it remains "unoccupied." The short version is that if you put in a system more expensive Essence-wise than the one you're replacing, you lose the difference between the Essence costs.

For example, if all you have is Rating 1 wired reflexes and you put in a Rating 2 system, you'll go from having Essence 4.0 to Essence 3.0.

Does that help?
yesferatu
So I couldn't just buy level 1 bone density and then add density every couple months until I max out at level 4?
I'd actually need to yank out the old version & grow the next level every time?
Iduno
Bone Density seems like it would be one of the very few augmentations that could make sense as being increased, if they rules allowed for it. It's a treatment done to the bones already in your body, from what I understand.

I'd also like to see what is required to upgrade an implanted comlink, and if a cyber skull makes a difference. Full brain surgery for removal and re-implanting? Unscrew a plastic plate from the side of your head? Some third option?
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (Iduno @ May 22 2013, 03:31 PM) *
Bone Density seems like it would be one of the very few augmentations that could make sense as being increased, if they rules allowed for it. It's a treatment done to the bones already in your body, from what I understand.

I'd also like to see what is required to upgrade an implanted comlink, and if a cyber skull makes a difference. Full brain surgery for removal and re-implanting? Unscrew a plastic plate from the side of your head? Some third option?

Ever see Farscape... Remember Scorpius and his cooling rod thingamajig in his skill? That is how we resolved the upgrading the comlink dilemma. smile.gif
Aaron
QUOTE (yesferatu @ May 22 2013, 03:09 PM) *
So I couldn't just buy level 1 bone density and then add density every couple months until I max out at level 4?
I'd actually need to yank out the old version & grow the next level every time?

According the rules, it's the yanking and next level adding.

According to your GM, I can't really say.

If you're talking about a Missions character, you're boned (couldn't resist the pun); they go by the book.
Mantis
We tend to go with the yanking option for cyberware and the just add new stuff option for bioware, so long as you aren't changing grades. The bioware makes sense this way as most times it is just growing and adding new biomatter. Bone Density is a really good example of this. Orthoskin on the other hand, not so much.
NiL_FisK_Urd
QUOTE (Mantis @ May 23 2013, 05:31 AM) *
We tend to go with the yanking option for cyberware and the just add new stuff option for bioware, so long as you aren't changing grades. The bioware makes sense this way as most times it is just growing and adding new biomatter. Bone Density is a really good example of this. Orthoskin on the other hand, not so much.

If you define upgrading Orthoskin as adding a second/third protective layer, then upgrading it makes also sense.
Stahlseele
As far as i remember(remember, that's not saying much), everything that comes in levels can simply be upgraded without needing to replace.
So Muscle Aug, Muscle Tone, Orthoskin, Bone Density all have Levels 1-3 or 4 and you can simply tack on more levels untill you hit the maximum level.
Same with Muscle Replacement and Dermal-Plating and wired Reflexes and the such.
Going from alpha to beta for example would need a replacement though.
StealthSigma
QUOTE (Tymeaus Jalynsfein @ May 22 2013, 06:06 PM) *
Ever see Farscape... Remember Scorpius and his cooling rod thingamajig in his skill? That is how we resolved the upgrading the comlink dilemma. smile.gif

You installed a brain coolant system in order to support the upgrades?

Does it come with a sexy leather clad accessory that performs the coolant replacements for you?
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (StealthSigma @ May 23 2013, 06:17 AM) *
You installed a brain coolant system in order to support the upgrades?

Does it come with a sexy leather clad accessory that performs the coolant replacements for you?

Heh... No. You use a similar retractable system (into the skull) to extrude the comlink for upgrades or replacement. smile.gif
As for the sexy leather clad accessory, well, that would be nice... smile.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012