Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Favorite negative qualities to ensure hilarity
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Raiden
so I am a tad bored today. what are you favorite combinations of negative qualities for ensured trouble and hilarity? personally I enjoy the thrill seeking, high danger, combat monster following the shark mentor :3. any stories applicable that you wish to share and or have rights to share would be awesome as well. (yes the above did happen, yes it was hilarious, and no, somehow he made it out alive)
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
I always liked Bad Luck... Always has a Hard Mechanic to it. There is no ambiguity at all.
Seerow
I'm a fan of Gremlins and/or Computer Illiterate when I can get away with it. My last character had Computer Illiterate, and would always offer to do things like run the data search... often to rather hilarious results if the rest of the group forgot about my incompetence.
DamHawke
Addiction (Moderate, Simsense) + Simsense Vertigo.

Gotta have it, want it, need it! This is the best thing ever-*barf*
White Buffalo
In 3E I had a charicter Harvey who had severe phobia of water (lakes, rivers, et al.) and the goofy no sea legs flaw out of Cyberpirates. Fast forword to the Harlaquin campaign when half the teams been kidnaped by Dr. What and the other half comes to the rescue via the watercave entrance. As soon as my charicter sees the boat during the running gunfight I start to go for the dice and the other players cut me off. "nope, we trank Harvy with the patch and toss him in the boat." Never let me even try to RP it out, not that their solution wasn't funnyer.
Seerow
QUOTE (White Buffalo @ May 29 2013, 07:09 PM) *
In 3E I had a charicter Harvey who had severe phobia of water (lakes, rivers, et al.) and the goofy no sea legs flaw out of Cyberpirates. Fast forword to the Harlaquin campaign when half the teams been kidnaped by Dr. What and the other half comes to the rescue via the watercave entrance. As soon as my charicter sees the boat during the running gunfight I start to go for the dice and the other players cut me off. "nope, we trank Harvy with the patch and toss him in the boat." Never let me even try to RP it out, not that their solution wasn't funnyer.

Had something like this happen to me once. Played a Shaman from the desert who had a severe phobia of water (which I will comment, the GM insisted was not common, because we never run into water in our missions), first mission with this character involved getting on a boat to an island, kidnapping someone and getting away on the boat.

Well, getting to the island, the group knocked out my character when he started to freak out, they got there, we did the mission... then on the way back out, failed the test again, started freaking out. Someone tried to come up to hit the character with something to knock him out again, this time he sees it coming and overcasts a fireball on the group as a whole. The overcast manages to kill him, and deal no damage at all to anyone else (thanks to penalties from the triggered phobia making his successes on the casting test abysmal).

Since that character died, we have yet to see water in another mission.
Nal0n
Records on File (DocWagon) + SINner + DayJob (at DocWagon)...

In the middle of the Run, the Runners manage to get out of the Coorporate Grounds ... DocWagon shows up to collect one of them ... they recognise the Char with above negative Qualities = FUN!
MortVent
most fun and diabolical...

Are the simple ones that don't seem so major

Day job : Bad guy comes to the dry cleaner to get his suit cleaned, guess who the cashier is..

Lost loved one - missing/unkown parent : bwahahahah! Guess who's coming to dinner!

so many of the simple ones that don't seem so bad are the ones a good gm can use to really hammer home fate or give the character a surprise (hey guess what! Your daddy happens to be Kid Stealth, and he's not happy with the guy that just punched his lil girl)
Grak
Spirit bane, (watchers)

You just happen to piss off watcher spirits wherever you go and worse the little bastards are everywhere.
After reading Burning Bright I found out they act like little kids, cute and endearing when they're on your side but an angry one is going to pester you with all sorts of silly songs and annoying stuff.

If you have a cool GM they will give you headphones to wear with a spirit's voice looping some off key song or simply repeat the word Turtle into your ear until you banish it. God help you if you're a mundane.
toturi
QUOTE (Grak @ May 30 2013, 12:08 PM) *
Spirit bane, (watchers)

You just happen to piss off watcher spirits wherever you go and worse the little bastards are everywhere.
After reading Burning Bright I found out they act like little kids, cute and endearing when they're on your side but an angry one is going to pester you with all sorts of silly songs and annoying stuff.

If you have a cool GM they will give you headphones to wear with a spirit's voice looping some off key song or simply repeat the word Turtle into your ear until you banish it. God help you if you're a mundane.

Astral Hazing with Spirit Bane (Watchers) - Astrally it would look it those electric bug zappers, annoying insect incoming, bzzt!

Unless your Astral Space has a lot of unbound but non-Free spirits hanging out there, it is difficult to justify why the Watchers would be able to annoy you. Sure, if the Watchers are bound to patrol a certain area and you are in that area, sucks to be you. But Watchers will still be bound by their summoners' orders. So a messenger Watcher happening upon you is still bound by its summoner's orders to go deliver its message, sure it would love to come piss you off, but it can't (unless the summoner's orders somehow allow it to).

Day job : Bad guy comes to the dry cleaner to get his suit cleaned, guess who the cashier is..
No, no, you got this backwards. Big Bad calls tech support/customer service and guess who is the guy on the other side of the line... Mwahahaha!
Grak
QUOTE (toturi @ May 30 2013, 05:39 AM) *
Astral Hazing with Spirit Bane (Watchers) - Astrally it would look it those electric bug zappers, annoying insect incoming, bzzt!

Unless your Astral Space has a lot of unbound but non-Free spirits hanging out there, it is difficult to justify why the Watchers would be able to annoy you. Sure, if the Watchers are bound to patrol a certain area and you are in that area, sucks to be you. But Watchers will still be bound by their summoners' orders. So a messenger Watcher happening upon you is still bound by its summoner's orders to go deliver its message, sure it would love to come piss you off, but it can't (unless the summoner's orders somehow allow it to).

No, no, you got this backwards. Big Bad calls tech support/customer service and guess who is the guy on the other side of the line... Mwahahaha!

I always presume the corps will have a couple Watcher's patrolling their buildings to keep an eye out for a spying mage. It could also work in Denver ever since Zebulon came home and changed the rules.
Umidori
My first character ever was Uncouth.

I had a reasonable idea how big an impact it would have on some things, but others I never expected. I mean, he was supposed to be a crotchety old mountain man who hated people and did things his own way, and Uncouth was perfect for representing that in your everyday situations, but I never intended for things like having him end up wearing frilly bows in his beard and an ill fitting glittery dress because his teammates could con him into doing most anything for laughs if they could only make some sort of logical argument that the GM would allow.

~Umi
Grak
QUOTE (Umidori @ May 31 2013, 05:29 AM) *
My first character ever was Uncouth.

I had a reasonable idea how big an impact it would have on some things, but others I never expected. I mean, he was supposed to be a crotchety old mountain man who hated people and did things his own way, and Uncouth was perfect for representing that in your everyday situations, but I never intended for things like having him end up wearing frilly bows in his beard and an ill fitting glittery dress because his teammates could con him into doing most anything for laughs if they could only make some sort of logical argument that the GM would allow.

~Umi

Oh poor Umi. What horribly wonderful friends you posses. Was your mountain man a lumberjack by any chance?
toturi
QUOTE (Grak @ May 30 2013, 01:13 PM) *
I always presume the corps will have a couple Watcher's patrolling their buildings to keep an eye out for a spying mage. It could also work in Denver ever since Zebulon came home and changed the rules.

So the watchers try to annoy the character outside of his portable background count. And the watchers will have to first spot the character. How many dice does a watcher have for Perception or Assensing? Oh, and the Background Count applies negative modifiers.
CanRay
QUOTE (DamHawke @ May 29 2013, 12:35 PM) *
Addiction (Moderate, Simsense) + Simsense Vertigo.

Gotta have it, want it, need it! This is the best thing ever-*barf*
Now with more rules and fluff!
Umidori
QUOTE (Grak @ May 31 2013, 01:11 AM) *
Oh poor Umi. What horribly wonderful friends you posses. Was your mountain man a lumberjack by any chance?

Sadly, no. Rifle toting hunter in woodland camouflage, definitely a crazy bastard, eventually turned to hunting people just out of spite and psychotic nature. This up in the Canadian Rockies, in the boonies of Alberta. Only ever entered the shadows to track down someone he has a hellaciously nasty obsession over. Trail is pretty cold, so he runs the shadows to try and find leads. Should have given him Lost Loved One, but never did for whatever reason, may not have had all the books at the time.

~Umi
CanRay
QUOTE (Umidori @ May 31 2013, 09:36 PM) *
Sadly, no. Rifle toting hunter in woodland camouflage, definitely a crazy bastard, eventually turned to hunting people just out of spite and psychotic nature. This up in the Canadian Rockies, in the boonies of Alberta. Only ever entered the shadows to track down someone he has a hellaciously nasty obsession over. Trail is pretty cold, so he runs the shadows to try and find leads. Should have given him Lost Loved One, but never did for whatever reason, may not have had all the books at the time.

~Umi
Pinkskin or NAN?
Umidori
Pinkskin. Big white beard. Grizzled and wrinkley.

~Umi
RHat
Here's a combination with some potential: Enemy, Evil Twin, and Lost Loved One. All three qualities represent the same person - the character's actual twin. Alternatively, take Evil Twin and make them your Dependent - your sibling lives with you, gets up to all manner of trouble, and you're the one that ends up getting harassed about it.

Grak
QUOTE (Umidori @ Jun 1 2013, 03:12 AM) *
Pinkskin. Big white beard. Grizzled and wrinkley.

~Umi

I love the fact they decided to play dress-up with that particular pyschopath.
If he ever figures it out, they will be in for some serious hurt. Do the other runners even know about his penchant for hunting people?
Umidori
They suspected it the first run, when he suggested skinning a couple of corporate goons (who he'd already blown the heads off of, pre-emptively ending a firefight about to unfold), and they knew it the second run, when he went out of his way to backtrack through a facility to put a bullet in the head of a prone and helpless corpsec lieutenant they'd knocked out moments beforehand, simply because he learned that the guy was the trainer in charge of handling the guard dog that he got bit by while breaking in (and which he summarily put down with his hatchet).

Bill was a nasty piece of work. That said, while he made plenty of threats, he never really felt like killing off his team for the "minor" things - they were too valuable in the short term. If we'd played longer, though, he might have started to change his mind as his options opened up. Been awhile since I was able to play, rather than GM... might want to rebuild Bill and play him some more if I ever get the chance. I'm a LOT better at optimization now. ork.gif

~Umi
Umidori
QUOTE (RHat @ May 31 2013, 09:28 PM) *
Here's a combination with some potential: Enemy, Evil Twin, and Lost Loved One. All three qualities represent the same person - the character's actual twin.

...Trigun? wink.gif

~Umi
Blade
Allergy [something] + addiction [same thing]

If you don't have the thing you're addicted to: -2 (addiction)
If you have it: -2 (allergy)
If you use the Alleviate Allergy spell: -2 (spell sustaining)
Umidori
You could always use a sustaining focus... unless the addiction is a Focus Addiction? (Which, I suppose, would necessitate Allergy [Telesma] or Allergy [Mana] or similar, wouldn't it?)

~Umi
CanRay
Blank Slate and Dead Emotion (Joy). biggrin.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012