Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Insane GM hits you with boom characters
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Raiden
Here it is the banned characters and rule bending and contorting to make the game breakers post them here. Anything from the gm beat you with a book to finger of god because you got a great dragon to do your bidding out of char gen. The most ridiculous broken by the rules characters you have made or played with :3 post it
Umidori
Uh... let me see now...

Back before I took up GMing, I once tried to play a Free Spirit of Man (a Garbage Spirit, to be exact) inhabiting a dog as a Hybrid Form, which isn't strictly legal, and the GM shot it down. More recently as an experiment I created a Gnome that quite literally only has two modes, Off and Drug-Fueled Berserking Murderfest. I also tried to build a T'skrang Taildancer from Earthdawn, and made the rules (and some of my fellow rules lawyers) cry in doing so. Oh, and in my current campaign I have an escaped NPC jarhead cyborg who doesn't have access to the typical "nutrient bath" needed to keep her alive, so I fudged the effects of the "Nutrition" spell a bit.

I try to only flirt with the boundaries of the system, personally. Better fellows than I have been reduced to ashes sprinting across the deadly borders.

~Umi
DireRadiant
My GM won't allow me read or post to Dumpshock....
binarywraith
I am the GM who has nice, polite talks with players for trying to break the system in rules lawyerly ways, then simply stops inviting them to play if they can't cooperate with the idea of everyone at the table having fun.

That said, in SR3 I ran an decker who literally made more money off of selling incidental paydata than the entire group did off of running.
hermit
In SR3, I frequently used the "poor man's Move By Wire" combnation of synaptic accelerator, boosted reflexes, enhanced atriculation, and reaction enhancers for one-time characters. No skillwires, but only half the essence cost (less than wired 3 by a good margin too), and 5 initiative dice.
Stahlseele
a one-shot character i once made named one-shot . .
hit you for something like 24M Damage in close combat and then you got 2x10D Stun damage from drugs to boot.
so if he only hit something once, chances were good that he'd outright kill it, because first physical damage from the close combat attack, then 10D stun and then another 10D stun which overflows into physical.
and only natural body and very little else helps against the 10D stun damage.

right now, i smuggled a Troll with skillwires by my GM that has 17 skills with 8 or more dice in them at character start.

and who here has never tasted the pure undistilled awesome that a Trollbow is with things like 22M Damage, completely legal and silent out to more than 1000m and a base TN of 3 to hit with?
Umidori
Yeah, they nerfed Trollbow insanity after awhile in 4th. No real need to use a troll anymore either, since a human can hit the exact same damage maximums if you want.

~Umi
Nal0n
Through a sinister combination of contacts, black market pipeline and similar one of my chars was about to buy an Ares Thunderstruck modded to FA with enough RC to get away with it.
The GM, and the other players, hit me with books and other things and talked me out of it...

Other than that? One GM told me to make a Char that "can shoot the fuck anthing he can see up to the horizon and kill it quickly" ... I warned him about me liking to Min/Max too, asked if I should be able to do anything else at all ... he said: No, as long as you can shoot...

I brought him a char with 20+ dice for almost any firearms, an Ares Desert Strike modded for BF, and some other nice stuff ... he just threw the char into the bin frown.gif
Blade
- A character with Fame and Evil Twin. He's known as a great philanthropist, so when something bad happens he blames it on his Evil Twin (because no one would suspect that he would do such a thing).

- A capoerist centaur who runs at 350km/h (217mph)
Stahlseele
i have no reports heard of Binky being used yet
toturi
QUOTE (Stahlseele @ Jun 6 2013, 05:40 AM) *
and who here has never tasted the pure undistilled awesome that a Trollbow is with things like 22M Damage, completely legal and silent out to more than 1000m and a base TN of 3 to hit with?

Mine was a Troll hunter, not as high as 22M but certainly high teens.

Human Virtuso adept - Background Count caused by Virtuso was ruled to be aspected to adept

Mage with Free Spirit Hidden Life
Raiden
IMO the most game breaking character is a mystic adept face. with commanding voice. grab att increase cha, att drainwill. mod mind/influence/compel + CV. its easy to get 20+ dp with social skills. noone will not listen to you. until the GM starts through select sound filters and the like at you. silence spell op.
Udoshi
QUOTE (Umidori @ Jun 5 2013, 04:33 PM) *
Yeah, they nerfed Trollbow insanity after awhile in 4th. No real need to use a troll anymore either, since a human can hit the exact same damage maximums if you want.

~Umi

Worth noting, it IS possible to restore trollbows to their former glory, even after the nerf. It just takes some DOING.
Mostly revolves around possession shenanigans to raise the rating of the bow again, and that they didn't put a cap on arrow ratings. You will probably have to make your own, but you CAN make arrows above rating 8.
Tashiro
This thread is amusing on a number of levels, but also leaves me confused. As a GM, if the player comes up with an interesting concept, no matter how 'broken' it is, I allow it. If the character needs a few rule tweaks to be viable, and it fits within the setting itself, I'll also go for that as well.

I had a player make an artificial human crafted by a dragon using alchemy and dragon magic, that acted as a personal servant and the 'eyes and ears' for the dragon within the PC party. She was a possession shaman, and was pretty scary. The same player also made a character stuffed with bioware and cyberware, which was being used as an experiment by a corporation, whose memory was wiped at the start of every day, rescued by the PCs. This character could punch through walls (and did so a few times to grab the target on the other side). I also had one player whose character was possessed by his mentor spirit (a flaming lion). Then of course, there's my character, who's dead sister is using him as a spirit vessel, and the two swap places from time to time.

The characters are odd. Some are fairly powerful, even out-of-the-box, but the players have fun and as a GM I'm able to keep control of the campaign in spite of everything, so I have trouble seeing why these could be considered 'bad'.
Raiden
I never said not to allow them or that ensuing things cannot be fun. But some of the things I have seen. Most of them still got to play BTW. But they still got me. Or said other person hit by AT LEAST one book lol
Umidori
I think the important concern is just how illegal or rules-breaking those character are, Tashiro. It's not so much the concepts, it's the execution.

Playing an artificial human crafted by a dragon using alchemy and dragon magic? That sounds kinda crazy, but is it in any way mechanically different than playing an ordinary human? Because if it isn't, then the character could just as readily be some random actual human who is simply highly dilusional and whom their dragon handler simply humors. All that really changes is the backstory and how the group develops the adventure together.

A character who can punch through walls isn't actually all that bad, especially compared to such quasi-legendary figures as Bear Who Walks Through Walls, and even then, that's not really overly egregious rule bending (kind of minor, actually). Now if they could shoot through walls by using some absurd Intuition-based sniping build and the only way to create a challenge was to use overwhelming force? That would be pushing things. Or if the aforementioned artificial human possession shaman could create their own artificial humans, that'd be too much. Or if they abused their possession tradition and went around wielding a possessed combat axe while wearing possessed MilSpec, FFBA, and PPP, while also being themselves possessed, that'd be an issue.

Strange concepts are up to your group and GM. But broken characters are something else entirely.

~Umi
Cochise
QUOTE (Umidori @ Jun 12 2013, 03:38 AM) *
But broken characters are something else entirely.

So I guess a SR3 character with Wired Reflexes III with an Essence cost of 0.01 could be considered "broken"?
Just for the record: Such a character would be perfectly legal, just near impossible to get due to the needed die rolls and results. And even there you could "cheat" with characters with 900 (norm), 1800 (norm with bad karma or meta) or 3600 (meta with bad karma) ... and going by some of the karma numbers I have seen on character sheets the first two aren't necessarily "uncommon".
Neraph
QUOTE (Umidori @ Jun 11 2013, 08:38 PM) *
Now if they could shoot through walls by using some absurd Intuition-based sniping build and the only way to create a challenge was to use overwhelming force? That would be pushing things.

I've been kicking this idea around for a while... That -6 makes me uncomfortable though.

... Actually, I think I may have just solved it.
QUOTE (Umidori @ Jun 11 2013, 08:38 PM) *
Or if the aforementioned artificial human possession shaman could create their own artificial humans, that'd be too much. Or if they abused their possession tradition and went around wielding a possessed combat axe while wearing possessed MilSpec, FFBA, and PPP, while also being themselves possessed, that'd be an issue.

Thinking small. Now take that and put it inside a possessed, armored (with rigger coccoon) Horseman which is itself inside an armored, rigger coccooned, possessed walker-mode Hyun-Sheng (or whichever). Now you're starting to talk.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012