Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Physical Mages in 2nd/1st Ed
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Kakkaraun
I finally found a use for the topic description line wink.gif.

Anywho, one complaint I've always had about magician's way adepts is that they're adepts first, mages second...and what I'm wondering is, did they work differently in earlier editions, maybe in a fashion more to my liking?

Thanks.
Talia Invierno
They were introduced in Awakenings (late 2nd edition).

Although the structure was slightly different (they were classified as a variant of full magician, not adept), the end result was effectively the same as that of the 3rd edition: astral access traded for access to physical adept abilities on a point-by-point Magic trade-off.

It was recommended that the class be limited to NPCs.
Kakkaraun
Shite. Oh well. Looks like sustaining foci and Increase Reflexes +3 frown.gif.

(As opposed to the adept power, see. smile.gif)
blakkie
QUOTE (Kakkaraun)
Shite. Oh well. Looks like sustaining foci and Increase Reflexes +3 frown.gif.

(As opposed to the adept power, see. smile.gif)

I'm curious, in which way were you expecting them that would allow you to avoid using a sustained Increased Reflexes spells? If you could live with an Init of Reaction+2+3d6 (an average only 1.5 less than Reaction+4d6 you get from Increased Reflexes 3) and a geasa on all your adept powers you can use the level 2 of the adept powers and still have a spell casting Magic of 5. Of course that means no other adept powers till you Initiate. But you do get 30 spell points for building so you can initiate at least a couple times and have a few points left over for spells.

Kakkaraun
I wanted to build a very fast mage, that's the thing. Not, like, munchie fast. But fast.
Herald of Verjigorm
Gecko crawl. At force 6 with 6 successes and natural unaltered magic rating, you can skitter at 36 meters per combat turn. That's equivalent to a human with a quickness of 12, that's pretty fast.

(yes, you don't mean movement speed, you mean action speed, fine)

Either pay the cash and have some magic loss, or go with the reaction and reflex boosting magic and sustaining foci.
blakkie
QUOTE (Kakkaraun)
I wanted to build a very fast mage, that's the thing. Not, like, munchie fast. But fast.

Init = Reaction+2+3d6 is pretty fast. For an Int 5, Quickness 5 that means 7+3d6, which is a range of 10 - 25, average of 17.5. Except for every 200th or so roll you'll have 2 actions, with 3 actions sprinkled in from time to time.
Kakkaraun
7 Q, 6 Int. Increase Reflexes +3 makes the initiative be...okay...6+4d6. Yum. And there's plenty of ways to easily raise that Reaction by one, thus eliminating the very freakish possibility of a one-Phase combat turn wink.gif.

Okay, as long as we're on the subject, how easy is it to dispell that (I'm rusty, I've just returned from a year-long gaming hiatus)? Let's say we toss it into a force 3 Sustaining focus (which isn't too bright, astrally, right?), and get...3 successes. Is it likely that any sec-mage is going to just...flomp it? And is it reasonable to walk around all day with that focus active?
tisoz
QUOTE (Kakkaraun)
Okay, as long as we're on the subject, how easy is it to dispell that (I'm rusty, I've just returned from a year-long gaming hiatus)? Let's say we toss it into a force 3 Sustaining focus (which isn't too bright, astrally, right?), and get...3 successes. Is it likely that any sec-mage is going to just...flomp it? And is it reasonable to walk around all day with that focus active?

Have the sustaining focus be something in your pocket, under your shirt, etc.. Somewhere out of LOS and that can benefit from your armor. Then only need to really worry about astral barriers.
mfb
a neat trick i'm working on is anchoring an instant-draw spell to my weapon, linked to a Detect Melee Attack Directed At Me spell. once that's done, i'll link a personal-range Redirect spell to it as well (maximum L drain = teh guud!).
Kakkaraun
Here's a foci question. I can't seem to remember how this works...when you deactivate a focus, it's a free action...if you deactivate a sustaining focus, do you have to recast the spell? And finally, it's a simple action to reactivate a focus, right?

Oh, and are there any canon rules for tattoo foci (not quickening)? I seem to remember something about that.
TinkerGnome
If you deactivate a sustaining focus, the spell dissipates. If you want to turn it back on, you need to take an exclusive complex action to recast the spell into it (following normal sorcery & drain rules).
Kakkaraun
Oi.

But hey, you do need LOS to dispell a foci, right? Or do you just need to be able to see it on the astral?
TinkerGnome
Neither. You just have to be able to see the target of the spell and be on the same plane.
blakkie
QUOTE (Kakkaraun)
Oi.

But hey, you do need LOS to dispell a foci, right? Or do you just need to be able to see it on the astral?

If you can see it then it is in Line Of Sight, no? Anyway with a sustained focus i've always thought that both the spell, if you can detect the signature, or the focus could be the target of dispelling.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012