Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Stars Without Number: Scions of the Stars
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Welcome to the Shadows
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4
Buddha72
Ravenna raises an eyebrow at the easy admission of having been abandoned by his former crew. She continues to aid the captain while speaking to the new arrival.

"Ravenna and I don't mean to be rude but is that a common occurrence?"
Nemo157
"A common occurrence? Thankfully, no. I'd only been flying with them a few days, bunch of superstitious shriekers but they promised a good payout to help them find the Saving Grace. Then when their spike drive failed they were all 'must be our punishment for working with a heathen' and dumped me here."

Stepping up to Ravenna's side of the sick man Iorund offers his arm, "Here, why don't I help get him to the medbay".
Fenris
Sereth eyes Iorund for a moment. Military men could go either way, and ex-military tended to be one extreme or the other. But Harken's situation didn't really favor in-action, and if Harken was going to be out of it for a while, they might actually need someone with a close familiarity with violence.

"I'm Sereth, and the poor, unfortunate soul you're helping to the med-bay is Harken, our captain. We're with the Terra Firma." Sereth follows the small group down towards the med-bay, nodding for Alice to follow, helping to situate Harken when they had to navigate the occasional step up or elevator. It said a lot to Sereth that the man was chivalrous to offer to help with their ill captain, considering that there was nothing in it for him. It might just have been the women, but he'd seen worse reactions in spacers to attractive women then to offer to help.

"We're actually refueling now to head out looking for the Saving Grace ourselves, and we seem to be down a crew member. It's not likely to be a long stint, but if you're interested, we could offer you a temporary spot on the crew?"
Nemo157
"Really? That would be amazing. I didn't really have anything planned since I was assuming I would be out for at least a few more weeks searching."

After a brief pause while carefully negotiating a tight bulkhead door Iorund turns back towards Sereth. "I presume you will need some sort of discussion about this amongst yourselves.... Tell you what, once we get Harken to the medbay I'll go wait in the bar; you guys can have a chance to finish your tour and chat about it, then come meet me there and I'll buy you all a round. It will be good to hear some news of what's happened in the last week at the least."
Lain
Alice raises a perfectly formed eyebrow behind her veil at her team’s quick acceptance of the stranger. Following behind Sereth her boots clicking on the metal floors she reflects on how open her team is and how its her job to protect her family and keep that innocence alive…

But just in case there is any chance of this guy going rogue she is prepared to drop a telekinetic shield in between him and the rest of her team.

Glad that Iorund realizes that they may want to talk a bit privately Alice smiles warmly.

“I think a private discussion is best, we’ll be along shortly, if only for the free beer”

Alice then looks once more at Harken and frowns

Hope he is going to be ok, its best to leave him I guess, but hate to do it. Get better quickly Harken
JxJxA
Iorund

While you were on the station, you did a little bit of digging. You know that the SOP for military ships is to allow their crew to have shore leave to give them a break from the monotonous drag of daily routine. The Saving Grace was no exception, and the station hosted the ship's crew for four days while the vessel refueled at Ismaar. Given the size of the station, the Sobek class cruiser needed to send its crew over in waves to keep from overwhelming the station's skeleton crew. There were a few snafus as people did not always report in on time. That issue usually raises a few red flags. Nevertheless, the ship did leave with a full crew complement.

When you see Ravenna, you catch the faint, sweet scent of incense. That perks your attention, and you notice that the woman's dress has more purpose than simply to blend with the rather eclectic nature of the group. You have heard tales of some psychics who follow a beneficent and ritualistic path to become vessels of healing, seeking balance between the physical and the spiritual within themselves so that they might translate their efforts into benefiting Humanity. They call themselves "iihkawa", a name that roughly translates to "companion."
Buddha72
With Iorund able assistance and then graceful departure she turns to the remainder of the crew.

"That was unexpected but hopefully the Captain will get the help he needs back at Waystation. I normally wouldn't hesitate to take help offered but I know this system is a little more unstable than others. Him being here was terribly convenient and looking for the Saving Grace as we are but I am inclined to give him a chance. I think between myself and Alice a saboteur would be hard pressed to keep his intentions hidden for long."

As she speaks, she runs her hands over her body quickly and efficiently laying the clothes back into their proper position and restoring her appearance to what it was when she exited the ship. It is done with out conscious thought and carries the familiar look of ritual that accompanies so many of her actions.
Lain
After ensuring Iorund is gone, and listening to Ravenna, Alice nods

“ I agree, though I’d rather not get into a position where we have to stop a potential aggressor”

“Sereth, do you think you can do some background checks on our possible new friend? I would feel better if we did some electronic research before we accept him at face value.”

She pauses for a second, wondering if she is being too nervous, mentally shakes her head

“we got lucky with Ezri, can’t count on everyone to work out”

Alice chuckles a little when she realizes she admitted that Ezri isn't all bad
Fenris
Sereth nods, partitioning away part of his attention to start sending out the communications he'd need, information requests to Re, mostly, even as he motioned out the way Iorund had gone.

"If we're looking for possible information on the ship or it's activities, the bar's probably the most likely place to start, given the size of this thing. Couldn't hurt to drum up some information before we take off, regardless of what comes back on Iorun."

As he walks, he works through the message in his head, mentally composing it before he reaches out with the internal electric buzz that was his sense of the cyberware within him, and tapped the station's systems to reach out across the stars.

<<@Lieutenant Vreetwi,Re offices, Waypoint Station [Sereth Stanson, Terra Firma]: I need information about a potential recruit.>> Sereth provided the man's name and ship, waiting to hear if there was any official word as he strolled towards their meeting.
JxJxA
Sereth

After a few minutes, you receive a reply over the FTL system. Ensign Jexon has sent a reply along with a data packet.

<<Consulate of Re, Waypoint Station: Message received, sending information regarding Iorund Värmodsun. Was attached to Freemerchant Dauntless. Authorized for S&R mission. Please provide him with this message to verify that you also are working in conjuction with Re.>>

The data packet gives you basic information on Iorund. Everything matches up with what you have seen and heard from him so far. Ensign Jexon also thought to provide information on you, your ship, and your crew so that you can give the information to Iorund and verify that you are also working for Re.
Fenris
Sereth gives a nod as they move down the hallway, and sends the information out to the rest of his crew.

<<@Terra Firma Crew [Sereth]: Looks like our erstwhile new companion checks out. Here's the info on his ship and mission, and a note we can pass over to him for the same. Any complaints about the idea? With Harkin out of commission for a bit, I'd feel safer with a verified person that's good with a gun.>>
Lain
Alice, looks down at her commlink, reading Sereth's message she grins ruefully at the idea of Re giving us the documents to prove our identity.

Verified? interesting.. not sure I would call this verified.. Oh well, can always shoot him into space if it doesn't work out I guess..

<<@Terra Firma Crew>>:ok
Buddha72
Ravenna sees the information scroll by her field of vision. She skims it then assigns it to her personal data stores for her to look over later when she had more time. She falls into an easy stride with the rest of the crew as they make their way back to Iorund

"While we're here I would prefer keep everyone linked through me. This place seems less.....organized then Waypoint. I am concerned things here are less civil and we need to ensure our safety as best we can. Does anyone object?"

She looks to each crew member to see if they agree while they walk.
Lain
Looking around, Alice keeps an eye out for people who seem slightly more interested in the team than they should, or interesting shops.
Alice nods her agreement with Ravenna, appreciating the request even though Ravenna knows Alice would agree anyway.
Fenris
With his eyes doing the same casual inspection as Alice's, Sereth nods.

"I'd agree. Definitely a far cry from the previous station, and I wouldn't be surprised if the crew considers it more like a ship than a station, with all the loyal territoriality that goes with it."
JxJxA
All

The sickbay is little more than a pair of expanded quarters, a row of cots, portable med devices, and staffed by a grand total of two Humans. The doctor is a portly, elderly gentleman who is missing his left ear and has a cybernetic leg. The nurse is a lanky and distressed looking woman. When they see you bringing Harken the nurse rushes over to help while the doctor covers his mouth.

"Why the shriek did you bring that infection vector on board? Haven't you ever heard of quarantine? You could infect the whole ship!"

"Too late now, Doc," answers Zax, moving Harken to a bed.

Doc shakes his head, grabs a face mask and a pair of disposable gloves. The nurse grabs a med scanner and runs it up and down the length of Harken's body. She frowns as she sees the result.

"Looks like food poisoning, but more severe," she says.

"He's waiting for a shuttle. Should we freeze him until then?" Zax asks.

"Probably a good idea," Doc answers while prodding Harken's body. "Our air scrubbers aren't that gre---oh, hell. Your breath smells like shit, son."

"We'll take it from here," says the nurse, giving you a reassuring smile. She politely shoos you away from the sickbay, hoping to spare you from the stream of curses and diatribe spouting from Doc as he discovers more "unsightly issues" with the sick Harken

As you leave the sickbay, you go your separate ways. Iorund heads to the bar, while the others are standing outside the sickbay.

Alice and Sereth

Most of the shops on this station deal in selling/exchanging asteroid ore for necessities. There is the odd stand that sells curios, but most of them seem to cater to lonely miners marooned in space. However, the stand owners are more than happy to have you look at their wares.
Nemo157
Making it back to the bar Iorund grabs another glass of moonshine and settles back into the armchair he was in before. Leaning back he takes a sip and relaxes before pulling out his compad and composing a message to his Re contact.

<<@Ensign Josh, Re offices, Tefnut, Wosriwi [Iorund]: You know how that crew I was helping up and left me out here? Well another crew claiming to be on the S&R mission just turned up. They're a man down and looking for some help, just thought I better check that they're on the up-and-up before I go heading into deep space with them.>>

Attaching the names he'd learned of the crew along with their ship's designation Iorund leaned back even further into his chair as he starts thinking back over the encounter. Recognising Ravenna as being of the iihkawa he knew there should be no real issues with her, unless she has completely abandoned her faith she would be taking no part in any foul deeds. Sereth on the other hand, he looked like someone who could handle himself at least a bit, and he was awfully quick to offer a space on the crew. Could just be that he wants a hand to protect the fine ladies. That Alice is certainly a fine dresser, even if that means she looks like she's almost ready to head to a ball while exploring a rusty old space station. And then there’s the unknown piloting their ship out for refuelling, could be some sort of psychopath.
JxJxA
Iorund

It takes Ensign Veker Josh a handful of minutes to reply, given the distance between Ibraheim and Wosriwi. When your commlink alerts you to his message, you notice a datapacket attached to it.

<<Re offices-Anubis Division, Tefnut, Wosriwi: Message received, sending information regarding Terra Firma and crew. Only ship authorized for S&R mission that meets description. Please provide them with this message to verify that you also are working in conjunction with Re. Please contact consulate at Waypoint Station in future for faster reply.>>

The datapacket gives basic information that matches well with the names and faces of the people you just met. The datapacket also includes information on you so that you can verify your own involvement. Clearly they are used to dealing with these sorts of things...
JxJxA
All

With your respective errands complete, you reach the station's bar. For the newcomers, it is an entirely underwhelming experience. Crates and kegs make up walls and booths, and glasses filled with nameless freespacer hooch. For Iorund, it is simply more of the same. Few others are at the bar, telling more about the station's current crew complement than about the bar's actually ability to attract customers. Few are on board, and those that are on the station are still working.

Iorund has selected a booth in the corner. It is close enough to the bartender to catch their eye for service, but also out of the line of sight for most other patrons---if there were any...
Lain
Stepping into the bar, Alice looks around

ugh, what a filthy hovel, like damn near every small station

Noticing Iorund, Alice touches Sereth lightly on the shoulder and nods over to Iorund heading in his direction

I'm not drinking here, I don't trust it, keep an eye out for danger
Fenris
Fair enough, Lady. It isn't exactly as grand as our last port, is it?

Turning to move over to Iorund's booth, Sereth waits until the two women have seated themselves before he takes his own seat. It's obvious he'd rather be pulling out chairs, but one must deal with one's reality. A mental flick sends the confirmation packet he received over to the waiting man.

"Well, I think we've both gotten such assurances as can be had from others. Are you interested in signing up? For the duration of the mission, at least."
Buddha72
Ravenna sits serenely, her body relaxed and her hands lightly resting on her lap. She feels the delicate tendrils of psionic energy holding all their minds connected. The thrill of using this much of her gift rests easy on her spirit. It was rare she got to use her gifts so freely. Most places had restrictions on her kind and she had to walk a fine line to keep people at ease. She looked over their newest addition and let an open smile settle on her features.
Nemo157
Standing up as the others approach Iorund greets them warmly, "Welcome, welcome; grab yourselves a round on me."

Making himself comfortable again he replies to Sereth's data packet with his corresponding confirmation. "Yes, Re was helpful enough to confirm that you're working on the search and rescue. As to whether I am interested, darn sure I am. When the best alternative is spending a few days or weeks looking for other work or transport at Waypoint, I'll gladly help you on this S&R. You lot seem like fine folk as well, should be much more enjoyable to work with than my last crew."

Taking a sip from his glass Iorund eyed Sereth discreetly, he really does seem quite protective of them, good to see that chivalry isn't completely a dead quality.
Lain
Looking at her team briefly before commenting,
" I would suggest the best place to start is to talk about how far we have gotten and share information so we don't work the same place twice."
Alice pauses a second, pulling on her sleeve, smoothing out the wrinkles unconsciously.
"We just got into the area so don't have much to go on, tha'ts why we are starting here, to see if we can get any information and avoid areas that are already searched."
Pausing because she doesn't want to seem to be grilling Iorund,
"What areas did your previous crew search, and do you have any information that you may have gathered while you were here that can help speed the search?"
Buddha72
Ravenna take s small sip from her glass after it arrives. She is careful to have some but to make sure not to over do it. Her exposure to spirits and the like have been limited.

"How far had you gotten in your search? We had thought to ask around the station to see what we could learn but if you've already inquired there is no reason to waste our time doing so again unless you encountered significant resistance."
Nemo157
"I've talked to a few of the folk that live here, but haven't discovered much. Far as I could tell the Saving Grace stopped here as scheduled for refuelling, then left as scheduled with the full crew. There were a few issues with some crew members not returning from R&R on time, but that's expected with such a large crew."
Buddha72
She nods as he speaks, looking to the others to gauge their reactions and to keep herself keyed into the mood at the small cramped table.

"Do you think anyone here might have known their next point after leaving here? We could ask around or see if people here who deal with the comings and goings of the ships know where they left to?"

Evident on her face is the struggle to translate a space faring craft's departure with something like an ocean going vessel. Those that know of her home world know their tech was low by comparison.

"Do they have to tell someone where they are going next? Or is there a way to track a ship if we know where it left from here?"
JxJxA
Sereth

Following spike drills are a lot more complicated than simply following realspace engine trails. The metadimensional currents are always changing, which is why navigational computers are needed to make sure that a ship does not accidentally crash into one of the metadimensional anomalies that Ezri showed you earlier. However, you do remember that spike drives can leave "shock waves"---a little like how aquatic boats leave wake as they travel. The size of the wake is directly proportional to the power of the spike drive---the bigger the class the larger the residual shock wave. If you performed a metadimensonal scan of the area where the Saving Grace drilled out of the system, it is possible that you could find the wake and plot a course to follow it.

As for drill procedures...Ezri normally handles those things, so you are at a loss of where to start.

When it comes to station sensor procedures...you're certain that they must have scans of something. Alas, you have no idea as to scans of what or how long they would keep them...
Fenris
"Well, the best we can do in terms of tracking them with tech is get station readouts or try to check their wake. I can try and track down the readouts - Ravenna and Alice, you may be our best sources of information. Perhaps we can split up, Iorund and Ravenna, and Alice and I, and see what we can get from the few people that are here on the station? We have to spend a few days here, we might as well make them useful." He looks to his companions as he speaks, looking for affirmation or negation.
Buddha72
Ravenna nods in agreement. She looks to Iorund when she speaks.

"How skilled are you at small talk? I can certainly verify the truth of what they say in most cases and perhaps even see if there is more there to pursue. Can you steer the conversation towards the crew and the ship we are after?"
Lain
Alice nods, as she looks around,
"Sounds good, let's get started, Iorund, are there places you haven't checked out yet?"
She stands up and looks to Sereth ready to head out.
Fenris
As Sereth rises from his seat, he focuses on Ravenna for the briefest of moments.

I trust that you can handle yourself, but the station isn't that large - if you need help, let me know, and I'll do whatever I have to to get to you.

He smiles and sketches a bow to Iorund, and offers his arm to Alice as they step away from the bar.

"Where to first, do you think?"
Buddha72
The Bar
Nodding to the others as she rises she moves to a more central area of the ramshackle bar. Centering herself and breathing evenly, she opens her mouth and begins to sing a joyful and light song of free spirits and crafting one's own destiny - trying to appeal to the frontier spirit of these souls around her. Her face radiant as she reaches out to connect each person she sings to. She flows one song to the next, keeping the mood light and fun. After a few songs she selects the most responsive people and offers to buy them drinks. She shows genuine interest in their lives and their histories as she begins to build the trust she needs to ask about the Saving Grace. She waits for a few rounds to happen before steering the topic around.

"Have any of you heard of the Saving Grace? My captain is chasing it, trying to deliver something or other to their ship and until we find it we keep wandering around. Any help would be appreciated."
JxJxA
The people at the bar are genuinely pleased to see someone new, talented, and fairly attractive take interest in them. All of them are quick to accept Ravenna's offer of attention. They happily spout out the details of their lives---from mining space rocks to settling on board the station. None can offer any information on the whereabouts of the Saving Grace. However, they tell you what they can of the crew that they met. Most appear to have been genuinely surprised by the discipline and politeness of the crew.

The bartender soon proves to be the most valuable source of information. He offers a few points of insight that the others failed to mention.

"They said they were headed towards Bolgium with a stop in Welkin. Unfortunately, spike drives don't give you straight shots from star system to star system. You might try checking with Zax to see if the station has the old drill charts. It's a shame you can't find them, most seemed fairly polite. All except for one, a Lieutenant Fel. He seemed to have a bulkhead brace jammed up his ass."
Buddha72
The Bar
She reaches out and shares the infromation through the mental link she has established. The bartender's observation intrigues her.

"What was it about Lieutenant Fel? Did his bad attitude seem to have a focus? I know a lot of deep spacers can lose the shine and ease of interacting with people when they come station side."

She keeps her voice low and conspiratorial, as if engaging in idle but fun gossip.
JxJxA
The bartender shakes his head.

"No, I don't think it had a focus... Now that I think about it, he seemed decent enough at first. Most Re folk are polite if distant. However, a few days into shore leave he seemed like a completely different person. He snapped at one of the serving staff for offering him the wrong drink. Funny thing is, she was giving him one on the house, and she swears it was what he ordered before."
Buddha72
The Bar
Ravenna laughs and takes another demure sip of her drink as she does so she deftly reaches out and sifts through his memories for the identity of the server that had the encounter with the Re lieutenant.

"Some people just aren't cut out for deep space work I think, it can take its toll but some people won't hear a word about it. Not being able to hack it."

She reaches out to the other members of the crew sharing her thoughts with all of them.

Does anyone know of any tech or disease that could lead to radical personality shifts and cognitive lapses?
JxJxA
Three weeks later, at the edge of the Sirocco Nebula...

<<Terra Firma, this is the Guiding Light. Thank you for your assistance in tracking down our lost ship. Ambassador Silas has just transferred your payment to your account. We can take it from here.>>

One week later, at Waypoint Station...

Ezri stands at the base of the Terra Firma's gangplank. She has a backpack slung over one shoulder and a duffle bag at her feet.

"Looks like this is where we part ways," she says. "I talked with some of the other Re pilots, and I've decided to sign up for their academy. They're always looking for new people, and it'd offer me a fresh start. I'd like to thank you for keeping me on board. Goodbyes aren't my thing, so let's just say I'll see you next time."

Four years later, stranded in space...

The Terra Firma drifts listlessly in space, venting gas and coolant from several hull breaches. The helmsman's attempt to ride push the ship into shearspace in order to outrun the pirates worked, but at a huge cost. Most of the hired crew is injured, or dead. Life support is failing, the spike drive is fried, propulsion is down to maneuvering thrusters, and weapons are offline. The only thing that seems to still work is communications.

Thanks to frantic repairs by the surviving crew, you manage to jury rig the spike drive to send one FTL message. You cross your fingers and hope that it works.

<<This is the Freemerchant Terra Firma sending out a Priority One distress call to any Re ships in the sector. We are stranded and drifting in space. Please send help to these coordinates.>>

Seconds feel like hours as you wait for a response...

<<Freemerchant Terra Firma, this is Osiris Pantheon vessel Truth Seeker. Distress signal received. We are altering course to assist you, best possible speed. ETA 2 days.>>

Survival will be difficult, but at least you have a fighting chance...

2 days later, on board the Truth Seeker...

"I have some good news and bad news for you, my friends," says Captain Petr Olumese. The captain is a dark skinned Human, entering the silver years of his age. He has a kindly face, gray curly hair cut close to the side of his head, and dark brown eyes. He sits ramrod straight in his chair as he addresses you, his vocal cadences hinting that he is used to issuing quick, curt orders without ever questioning his subordinates' intention of following them.

"The good news is that your ship is salvageable. The bad news is that it will require extensive repairs, likely costing more than a new ship would. I am afraid that we do not have the time or resources to conduct the repairs ourselves, but are willing to tow you back to a friendly station that should be able to accommodate you." He pauses for a moment, allowing that information to sink in.

"However," he continues, "I can offer you another option. We are currently looking into a...delicate situation that might become complicated by Re's direct involvement. If you are willing to act as our agents, I can authorize your ship's repairs. You would, of course, be compensated for your work, with a portion of it discounted towards paying off your repair debts.

"I am afraid that I cannot offer more specifics on the situation until you agree. That being said, you are free to decline the offer and travel to the station where you will have to spend millions of credits and several weeks to get your vessel into working order once again."

Captain Olumese puts his hands on his desk, lacing his fingers together, and waits for your response...
Buddha72
Ravenna listens and feels the heart break of losing the Terra Firma, it had been her home now for years and while it was just a ship she couldn't help feeling the loss. There was no way for them to afford the repairs on their own. The best they could do is sell the ship off piece by piece or at least the sections that were usable, in the hopes they could get enough money together to go........somewhere or sign on with another crew and hope for the best. Her pain diminishes at the possibility of keeping the ship as the Re officer speaks.

She can sense the ripple of emotions and thoughts pass through the others, it brushes against her awareness but she keeps herself firmly rooted in her own thoughts and feelings. She deciders to give voice to concerns she is certain others have as well.

"The offer is tempting Captain but I think we would need to know a little more about these delicate situations we would be asked to involve ourselves in. I can't speak for the others but I know I have no interest in doing anything untoward even for the chance of saving our ship. Are these diplomatic situations or something else? We will be required to engage in violence on Re's behalf? There are some activities governments like to distance themselves from that I want no part of."
JxJxA
Captain Olumese gives Ravenna a tight smile, and places his palms flat on the table before replying.

"I can appreciate your concern. I could list the reasons why you can trust us, but I will allow our reputation and past actions to speak for us instead. As you are aware, Re consists of different pantheons named after ancient Terran mythology. I believe the nomenclature is a relic of Re's original mission, but the divisions still serve now. I see you have worked with the Anubis and Isis pantheons in the past. They deal with diplomatic and medical missions respectively.

"This ship is in the service of the Osiris pantheon,"
he explains, "and we deal with studying and recovering the technology of the past. As a result, our presence in a system sometimes draws the attention of relic seekers, pirates, and other interested parties. Seeing as you have worked with us in the past, I see this as an opportunity to have a third party look into a site while we draw away other scavengers. You would not be doing anything untoward. However, I cannot say whether or not you would find yourselves in a position where you would have to defend yourselves."
Fenris
Listening quietly, Sereth glances at Ravenna, hearing her voice the worry that was likely present for all of them. Relaxing slightly at the captain's response, he nods.

"Based on those circumstances, Captain, I can say that I, at least, would be willing to take you up on your offer. I've had an urge to explore some of the less populated areas of the galaxy anyway, and this sounds like a better opportunity for that with the extra bonus of being able to keep the Terra Firma. My crew will speak for themselves, but I, for one, am in."
Lain
Alice frowns momentarily thinking about whether or not she wants to work for someone else. Thinking about refusing, she listens to Sereth and Ravenna's acceptance.
Mentally shrugging and deciding she likes the crew more then she dislikes authority,

Alice nods.
"I accept as well"
Buddha72
Ravenna listens and sets aside the man's emotional reaction to having his motives questioned, these moments come and go in the course of a discussion and did not warrant undue attention. Upon hearing more of the division she feels relieved somewhat but also a small trickle of dread. Pre-Scream is a dangerous era and things from then held just as much capacity to help as to harm. They would need to be mindful of what they turned over or let loose into the larger universe.

"That sounds acceptable to me as well. So much was lost from that time that could be instrumental in bringing civility and helping to elevate the lost worlds that were shattered by the Scream."
JxJxA
"Excellent," says Captain Olumese, pleased that his guests have agreed to his proposal. He begins punching a few buttons on the data slab on his desk.

"I believe I can hold you to your word. I am authorizing funds to repair your ship. Once we reach Rajeon Station, we shall begin making the appropriate preparations. Now for the more details of the mission."

A holo image of the sector appears in front of you. An image of the Truth Seeker appears near a star in the upper right section of the sector map. A large station icon is in the middle of the sector map.

"I am not sure how familiar you are with the area of space we are currently in. This is sector Sigma Tau, an area of space far removed from Re space and most Human civilization. Several systems are claimed by the Bray Imperium and the Qotah world-flock Hlil Kilool, known to us as the Scarlet Talons. The remaining sectors are either unexplored, Freespacer holdings, or unclaimed territories."

As Captain Olumese mentions the different polities, areas of space light up with appropriate markings. A large swath of Sigma Tau's upper left corner pops up with generic names, whereas the bottom corners light up with alien script.

"The Thoth pantheon scout ship Inquiring Mind was assigned to explore the sector, with strict instructions to avoid the Bray and Qotah holdings at all costs. During its mission, it managed to pick up faint metadimensional readings---readings that are found in several Mandate-era devices. It was able to isolate the signals as coming from the Haleth-Norr system."

The system sandwiched between Bray and Qotah territory lights up. The area enlarges, replacing the sector map with one of Haleth-Norr. Three rocky terrestrial worlds and two gas giants orbit a yellow giant star.

"Pantheon Command assigned us to investigate the area. The Truth Seeker a Mark IV Khnum class cruiser, designed to operate discretely with a minimum crew, and equipped with the facilities to acquire, analyze, and---if necessary---neutralize pre-Scream technology. Under normal circumstances, I would not hesitate to take us directly to the area. Indeed, I was prepared to do so. However, I am worried that our presence might draw the attention of the Bray and Qotah. Your presence gives me an alternative.

"Right now,"
Captain Olumese explains, "the Bray and Qotah are treating Haleth-Norr as neutral territory in order to avoid an all-out war. The Bray have the advantage in numbers, but the Qotah have the edge in technology. This balance of power is enough to keep the Imperium's Living Avatar and the Scarlet Talon's Eyrie Matron from ordering an attack. However, that could quickly change if either polity decided that Haleth-Norr housed technology that could give them an advantage.

"What I am proposing,"
he finishes, "is a deception. I shall order the Truth Seeker to the Sigma Tau Beta system while you travel to Haleth-Norr on a hired ship. A group of Freespacer resource hunters will attract less attention than a Re expedition. We would arrange for the ship, the fuel necessary for such a trip, and the necessary sensor equipment, as well as assign a Re officer to act as pilot and liason. Your orders are to scan the area and report what you find, nothing more. If you find trouble, simply report back using an assigned encoded frequency. Sigma Tau Beta is nearly half a sector away, but this ship is equipped with a Class 5 spike drive. We could reach you in a little over a week, where it would take another ship a little less than a month."

Captain Olumese returns the sector map image with the different waypoints and travel routes necessary for the mission.

"Now, do you have any questions?"
Buddha72
Ravenna looks over the map of the region and once again feels the dizziness wash over her, she has always struggled to keep an idea of how vast the galaxy truly was but failed time and time again. Looking away from the map she directs her question to the group as well as Captain Olumese.

"Do we know anything about those planets? Was there a settlement here from before? Any historical records at all?"
JxJxA
Ravenna

You remember that the Terran Mandate explored vast swaths of the galaxy before the Scream. Sigma Tau is located at what would have been the very edge of their influence, so it is possible that they established a colony here. However, it is hard to say for sure.

You remember more about the Bray Imperium and Qotah world-flocks. The Bray Imperium is an reptilian-like alien civilization ruled by the Living Avatar, who the Bray believe to be a mortal incarnation of their god. What he or she says is considered law without question, and followed by all Bray. They view non-Bray as apostates---souls who rejected the truth of the Bray god---and view them as lesser beings. At best, Bray will treat others condescendingly. At worst, they will kill them. Any agreements made with them are only as solid as the whims of the Bray, who do not feel bound to honor treaties with non-Bray.

Qotah are a more complicated social group. The Post-Scream Qotah are divided into two large groups based on their views towards Humans. The first still consider themselves honor bound their code---the Kri---to abide by the Vow of Red Feathers, a treaty negotiated by the Terran Mandate that prevents the Qotah from firing first on a Human, colonizing a world where a Human was born, or forbidding Humans from moving through their space. The second has rejected this Vow, often for a variety of reasons. Each group loathes the other, and encounters often devolve into violence.

You know nothing about the Scarlet Talons world-flock, which could mean that it is a small Qotah polity. Based on Captain Olumese's reluctance to bring a Re ship near their space, you suspect that they fall into the group of Qotah who reject the Vow of Red Feathers. The fact that some Qotah world-flocks are part of Re would only complicate this problem.

All

"We know a little about Haleth-Norr. What I have shown you are the long distance scans which Captain Hoon Yisoo managed to take from the Baladjeel system before being ordered to leave. We also have some records recovered from Terran Mandate databases. The three rocky planets are Velaya, Hintafel, and Perath, in order from closest to farthest from the sun. The larger gas giant is Delafor, and the smaller one is Kendora. The rocky planets do not have satellites, while Delafor has five and Kendora has twelve. I understand that makes for a large area to search. However, the Inquiring Mind only identified one signal. It is likely you will be able to isolate the source once in the system."
Lain
Alice looks over the maps and listens to Ravenna and the Captain talk. She thinks back to the little dirt farm she grew up on and is saddened that no matter how long she lives she wont see everything..

"If the resources on the ship, food, water fuel are taken care off, I have no further questions"
JxJxA
"Incidentals will be arranged for and deducted from your compensation," answers Captain Olumese. "You will be charged cost, rather than cost plus whatever a merchant might consider 'profitable.' Now, are there any other questions?"
Fenris
Perusing the maps, looking up only when Alice or Ravenna asks a question, Sereth gives a firm shake of his head.

"You've given us a better than fair shake, Captain. The least we can do is do a little scouting and sending back some information. Unlesss my compatriots have more questions, I think we're good to go."

He turns, nodding to his two female ship-mates and companions, and begins to leave, pausing only if a question arises from one or the other.
Buddha72
Ravenna nods and follows Sereth as he exits.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012