Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Are they that brilliant?
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
White Buffalo
After reading the feedback about Origins; the small print on demand run, the new rules, errata popping up already, no final release date it begs the question. What if it's all an open playtest similar to the new FFG Star Wars Game? Sell a few book, get people to try out the rule set, tinker for a few months and then release a more polished and final product. And if it isn’t a corp conspiracy to create a better product, why not take this opportunity and make it one. Balls in your court CGL.
Patrick Goodman
For the record, errata starting turning up the day after they said, "The book is off to the printer!!" So it's not like it's "popping up already," This wasn't an open playtest; the book really is at the printer, and annoyingly, there's a lot of typos that didn't get fixed that are in there. So no, I guess CGL isn't as brilliant as all that.

What is happening, though, is an errata doc is being compiled (a rough draft is sitting on my thumb drive as we speak, so I know it's being done). Errata is being prepared for first printing books, a less buggy version is supposed to be available to the printers for subsequent printings, and with half an ounce of luck, the for-sale PDF will have many of these bugs squashed before it goes on sale.
apple
QUOTE (Patrick Goodman @ Jun 17 2013, 01:13 PM) *
there's a lot of typos that didn't get fixed that are in there. So no, I guess CGL isn't as brilliant as all that.

Only typos? Or typos, site references, wrong rules (like cyberware/bioware +50% for trolls), missing pages, missing pictures etc?

SYL
forgarn
QUOTE (apple @ Jun 17 2013, 02:30 PM) *
Only typos? Or typos, site references, wrong rules (like cyberware/bioware +50% for trolls), missing pages, missing pictures etc?

SYL

Who said that +50% was wrong? Could it be a change that maybe some people don't like?
Patrick Goodman
QUOTE (apple @ Jun 17 2013, 01:30 PM) *

I've got typos and rules corrections in there. I'm not sure what you mean by "site references." I'm unaware of missing pages and missing pictures.

Care to fill me in?
White Buffalo
wrong rules (like cyberware/bioware +50% for trolls)

But if it was a playtest this is the chance for the "testers" to say this doens't work for reasons XY&Z. Granted I haven't read the 5E rules yet so I have no first hand examples but it would give CGL a chance to say "maybe we overcorected here lets bring it down a notch" and have cyber/bio +25% for trolls. If the real deal is at the printer than it's to late but if its siting in Jason Hardy's flash drive then there's a chance to make it not just ok or even good but great.
Fatum
QUOTE (forgarn @ Jun 17 2013, 10:32 PM) *
Who said that +50% was wrong? Could it be a change that maybe some people don't like?
I seem to recall Cratias saying it was an earlier draft going into a preview by mistake.
Seerow
QUOTE (Fatum @ Jun 17 2013, 06:43 PM) *
I seem to recall Cratias saying it was an earlier draft going into a preview by mistake.

It was either Critias or Bull. I'm pretty sure it was actually Bull, but I could be wrong.
apple
See above. But of course it would be great if one of the authors could confirm again if it is an error or workign as intended that the previews#3 pdf said, that cyberware and bioware for trolls costs 50% more.

And of course I meant "page references". Stupid German "Falscher Fehler". wink.gif

SYL
Patrick Goodman
QUOTE (apple @ Jun 17 2013, 02:04 PM) *
See above. But of course it would be great if one of the authors could confirm again if it is an error or workign as intended that the previews#3 pdf said, that cyberware and bioware for trolls costs 50% more.

That's mentioned in the doc I'm working on. My brain is sufficiently muddy at the moment, and my thumb drive's out in my car, so I'm not going to quote something off the top of my head at the moment. My memory says the +100% lifestyle increase is the correct answer, but my memory's played tricks on my before.
And of course I meant "page references". Stupid German "Falscher Fehler". wink.gif

Ah, okay, that makes more sense. I think most of the page refs are correct at this point, but if you find any, please point them out so that they can get fixed.
Critias
+100% lifestyle is the correct financial penalty. There is no +50% cost increase. No, this had nothing to do with Origins.
Bigity
I'm also interested in errata going forward after printing. If I buy into SR5 beyond the core book, I'm going to buy printed copies most likely.

Will errata incorporated into the print draft and the PDF be made available?
Patrick Goodman
If it's not, I'm going to be seriously, seriously pissed.
CanRay
QUOTE (Critias @ Jun 17 2013, 02:44 PM) *
+100% lifestyle is the correct financial penalty. There is no +50% cost increase. No, this had nothing to do with Origins.
Mungo iz eyerate ahbutt Troll-Sizezd Soysloppiez costinz moarzorz!!!
Wakshaani
QUOTE (Critias @ Jun 17 2013, 02:44 PM) *

That being said, I didn't get the memo until after the fact, so, one of teh sample characters should have more cash. D'oh!
White Buffalo
That being said, I didn't get the memo until after the fact, so, one of teh sample characters should have more cash. D'oh!

I remember a 3E tournament character, several years into the 3E run, that didn't even have the thrown weapon skill despite being an adapt with thrown weapon powers. They made all the tables default for all 3 rounds.
DWC
QUOTE (Patrick Goodman @ Jun 17 2013, 09:32 PM) *
If it's not, I'm going to be seriously, seriously pissed.

Given that we've seen printings of books that removed errata added in previous printings, I'd get the spittin' nails ready.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012