Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Help me design a spell (I'm rusty)
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Kakkaraun
Okay, I wanna make a spell that basically amounts to taking a shower, washing your clothes, and maybe adding some makeup. The character it's for is homeless and doesn't like truck stop showers/laundromats smile.gif. Also, he likes warpaint or camo paint for running.

So...help?
KillaJ
Is there any particular reason the character chooses to be homeless?
I would use the time spent designing the spell looking for work. wink.gif

On a marginally more helpful note, how about;

Transformation Manip
Major Physical Change drain S
Caster only -3 drain level
Permanant +1 drain level
Physical change +1 drain power

For a grand total of +1(L).

Im not too hot with the spell design myself so there is a good chance that I'm missing something rather important.
Kakkaraun
I'd call that a minor physical change...and, hell, why not be able to cast it on others...but still with touch range...

...for +1(M).

Hey, is it munchy to learn it as a Force 2 exclusive spell at chargen, so it costs nothing? I mean, it really doesn't have a practical game effect...
KillaJ
why not be able to cast it on others...

Now just how many homeless runners are on your team anyway? wink.gif

I'd call that a minor physical change...

I set it to major because it accomplishes several things at once instead of just one thing for spells like makeover and fashion. I, for one would have no real trouble accepting it as minor, I just think this will head off any problems with anyone else who might be less lenient.

Hey, is it munchy to learn it as a Force 2 exclusive spell at chargen, so it costs nothing? I mean, it really doesn't have a practical game effect...

I dont think there is such a thing as a totally free spell, but it's worth a try I suppose.
A Clockwork Lime
Uhm, isn't this essentially what Healthy Glow is? With Makeover for the makeup department?
KillaJ
I think that he was planning on using it quite often(in place of showers/laundry) so he just wanted to kill two birds with one stone.
Kakkaraun
Well, healthy glow doesn't wash your clothes and Makeover changes them entirely (thus giving it MUCH more practical value, ya see).

And yes, he kind of does have a reason for being homeless. smile.gif
moosegod
Not related to running out of money and/or build points, of course.

smile.gif
Kakkaraun
No...I actually am having trouble figuring out what to blow his 500 nuyen (lowest you can go in BP system) on. I could buy five months of squatter, but I don't want to...doesn't fit the concept.
moosegod
I find a Predator and 50 rounds of ammo tend to take care of that pretty well. Even if he doesn't use a pistol, he can use it to scare people off.
KillaJ
No...I actually am having trouble figuring out what to blow his 500 nuyen (lowest you can go in BP system) on. I could buy five months of squatter, but I don't want to...doesn't fit the concept.

How about a custom shopping cart and a bottle of fortified wine? wink.gif
KillaJ
Ooops
RangerJoe
I'd go with gin & juice and a nice door stoop to sit on.
A Clockwork Lime
Eh, nothing stops Makeover from only doing a little bit of cleaning up... but in any case, try this on for size.

Sterilize Bum (Transformation Manipulation)
Type: P · Target: 4 · Duration: P · Drain: +1(M)

This spell cleans up even the most disgusting vagrant, giving them the equivalence of a good scrubbing. Every success (to a maximum equal to the Force of the spell) determines how clean the derelict becomes. With 1 success, the spell does little more than kill off a few mundane lice and tone the wino smell down a notch, basically as if some old troll woman took a wire brush to him. With five or more successes, the wastrel looks like he just stepped out of a first class spa.

Design Notes: Minor Physical Change (Appearance), Physical Spell, Permanent Spell, Touch Range.
KillaJ
Genius
Kakkaraun
How 'bout...Colt Manhunter (425) one clip (5) ten bullets (20) and one set of ordinary clothes (50)? It kind of makes sense for the guy to have two-thirds of a clip or something like that smile.gif.
Kakkaraun
Heh heh @ Lime...

Oh, and yes, he does have the skills for a harmonica, and I was gonna buy one for him...sweet...
KillaJ
Dont forget a stick and a hankerchief to transport all your worldly possessions.
A Clockwork Lime
Don't forget that he also starts off with 3d6x100 nuyen on top of the 500 nuyen from Resources.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012