Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Code of Honor Flaw?
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Kakkaraun
Wasn't there an official Code of Honor Flaw for Shadowrun? I can't seem to find it in the Companion. Is it elsewhere?
Cold-Dragon
Code of Honor is in a Supplemental, not the Shadow Companion book. Check for the gunslinger issue and you'll find it.
Kakkaraun
Well, yeah...but that's /Gunslinger/ code of honor...which is rather different from the code of honor my character wants.
Kagetenshi
Dunno about 2nd ed, but there is not, nor has there ever been an official 3rd ed flaw by that name to my knowledge.

~J
Kakkaraun
There should be...darn.
moosegod
Just discuss it with your GM, maybe using "Impulsive Behavior" as a guideline.
Siege
It's not that hard to adapt -- change the particulars to fit the "Code of Honor" you want and submit it to your GM for approval.

Or, as suggested earlier, simply apply Compulsions -- you could even take an individual compulsion for each facet of the Code. It's point munchy, but you'll max your flaw limit pretty quickly. grinbig.gif

-Siege
Kakkaraun
Compulsion (Defend the Downtrodden)...that's a bit heavy, but whatever.
Intolerance (The Rich)

I'm not sure of point values, but hey...it's ROBIN HOOD!

While we're on the subject, what flaws are appropriate for a character who's just...kind of...bonkers? Someone prone to mumbling to himself, and acting generally strange...maybe something that requires a Willpower test, or else he'll receive a penalty to social interactions?
A Clockwork Lime
What would be the inherent mechanics behind these?

Edges & Flaws that only affect roleplaying shouldn't really be Edges & Flaws. It's bad enough ones like Vindicitive (about the only one I can think of that's not mechanically-inclined) exist... but something like "must be nice to bums" and "must scower at rich folk" is just a tad bit munchy. I mean, I could take on that says "must find women attractive" and "must use restroom on occassion" for extra points, but it'd be just as cheezy.
Kagetenshi
Vindictive, if played properly, can be crippling. Most of these other things tend to be… less so.

~J
Kakkaraun
The way intolerance works, right off, that's anywhere from +1 to +4 on ANY roll about dealing with some rich guy. For the Compulsion, that's a W(6) check not to go save the elven kid from eight trolls when you've left your guns at home...
Moonstone Spider
I don't know about you but when one of my players takes Vindictive I always have the obvious Cyberzombie step on his foot in the bar.
Herald of Verjigorm
I remind you that vindictive doesn't have a time-frame for the response. Said obvious cyberzombie might just be added to "the list" of people to royally frag once the opportunity arises. If that is the method, feel free to point out that the vindictive character "may have enough influence to make (NPC ID)'s life a living hell" and give the player a penalty if he fails to do so.

The vindictive impulsive combo is the one that invites instant death.
Shadow
QUOTE (Moonstone Spider)
I don't know about you but when one of my players takes Vindictive I always have the obvious Cyberzombie step on his foot in the bar.

Your on the list buddy.
Kagetenshi
What good is a list if the people on it know before it's too late?

~J
Fresno Bob
Psychological factor.

Oh shit, I'm on the list!
Glyph
I kind of agree with Clockwork Lime, except I think it's okay if, like Kakkaraun's examples, it has actual numeric penalties such as Willpower rolls to avoid an action detrimental to the character, or TN penalties for social interactions.

Actually, that's why I am very careful about taking those kind of Flaws for my characters. Not every pacifist character that I make, for instance, will have the Pacifist Flaw. For some of them, I like things like an impulsive character who can have thoughful moments, a cowardly character with rare moments of guts, a pacifist character who can be pushed too far, etc. And when I decide to have them break their normal patterns of behaviour, I want to be able to simply do it, not have to roll for it.
mfb
i've got a custom flaw, Oathbound, comes in levels 1-4. for every point of the flaw, you take a 10% hit in karma awards if you're not obeying your oath. the flaw shouldn't be combined with other flaws from a common source--for instance, you can't take Dependant (daughter) and Oathbound (must raise daughter). if you fulfill your oath completely (for instance, bringing the man that killed your wife to justice), or are somehow unable to fulfill it (the guy you swore to protect dies), Oathbound gets replaced with an appropriate flaw or flaws with equal value.
Siege
It depends on the players you have -- while a flaw may or may not include an entirely mechanical breakdown on the penalties for violating the flaw, but a creative GM will make a ruling.

Some players I have had the misfortune to witness will argue for hours that the GM has no right to make that ruling since it's not listed in the book.

-Siege
gknoy
QUOTE (mfb)
if you fulfill your oath completely (for instance, bringing the man that killed your wife to justice), or are somehow unable to fulfill it (the guy you swore to protect dies), Oathbound gets replaced with an appropriate flaw or flaws with equal value.

I think that's a raw deal as an inherent part of the the flaw.

I think that if the character took action, and completed their oath (hunted down the men that killed their family, etc), they should gain enough karma to buy off the flaw, and the flaw is automatically bought-off. Why not simply drop the flaw? Because if the character put effort into it, they should get karma, and karma pool goodies, IMO. smile.gif (Conversely, just drop the flaw and award karma as you see fit -- hiring a successful assassin might be less karma than hunting him down yourself and defeatin him in a duel in a burning plane as it plummets to the ground. YMMV. smile.gif)

If the oath is rendered permanently unfulfillable (someone else kills your family's murderer, or he is caught), then ... then you either let them buy off the flaw with existing karma (as if they have that hangin around wink.gif) or let them choose some more flaws. You might consider making them roleplay the failure of keepingthe oath (+'s to TNs, or whatever the penalty is) for a while, until they can find (or make, or have dropped on them) an in-game reason to pick up new flaws -- at which time they can pick those up in exchange, and spend karma to pay off the balance.

This is all IMO of course. smile.gif
Siege
Most GMs would object on game balance and mechanical terms -- creating flaws with inherent outs provide incentive for munchkin players to load up on these flaws and turn around and do everything possible to fulfill the criteria required to render these flaws inert.

-Siege
Abstruse
*cracks open 2nd Ed Companion*

*digs around frantically looking for 2nd Ed Companion*

*digs through boxes some more and makes a big mess of room looking for that damn book*

Grrrrr...I'll be back later to post something useful...

The Abstruse One
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012