Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Waitaminute...huh? Correct me if I'm wrong...
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Kakkaraun
Okay, am I interpreting this right? Let's say a human character with Charisma 6 takes this, and then has Charisma 7? Right?
A Clockwork Lime
Right. But it can only be used in that fashion on a single Attribute (that's what makes it an Edge instead of just another Attribute point). If you take Bonus Attribute Point again for another attribute, it's limited by the Racial Modified Limit.
Kakkaraun
Kay...

...Excellent.
FXcalibur
If you take Bonus Attribute Point again for another attribute, it's limited by the Racial Modified Limit.

I'm confuzzled.

Page 17 of the SRC: Bonus Att Point
"Only one attribute per character may be increased in this manner, and only one bonus point can be apllied to any single attribute."
A Clockwork Lime
"In this manner" refers to the part about going above the Racial Modified Limit. You can still take the edge once for each of the other five attributes, but it can't raise it about the RML like it did the first time.
Kagetenshi
The reasons why a player might take it sub-RML are twofold. First, if they're using priorities or sum-to-10 and want to get another point in something without rearranging priorities. Second, if they would otherwise go over the unbalanced flaw limit.

~J
Kakkaraun
I'm very worried that this character might be considered munchy, or at least his stats would be. Take a look:

Attributes
B Q S C I W E M R Init
3 8 4 5 6 6 6 6 6 6+1d6

He's an elf mage.

And the power of his atts are kind of balanced by having limited skills.
Kakkaraun
I'm very worried that this character might be considered munchy, or at least his stats would be. Take a look:

Attributes
B Q S C I W E M R Init
3 8 4 5 6 6 6 6 6 6+1d6

He's an elf mage.

And the power of his atts are kind of balanced by having limited skills. And some rather crippling flaws (consider that he has trouble dealing with rich people...and most Johnsons are quite wealthy...).
Kagetenshi
Not as munchy as 1 1 1 9 9 8.

~J
Kakkaraun
That long row of sixes just looks really weird to me. Oh, reaction is 7...hmm.
Eyeless Blond
QUOTE (Kagetenshi)

~J

Also known as "playing an Otaku". nyahnyah.gif I find it odd that Otaku are encouraged to do this to themselves too; I for one wouldn't dare try munching it up like this if the rules didn't actually give you a bonus for it.
Glyph
Ehhh... every character has to have Priority A for something. Either you'll have "munchy" Attributes, "munchy" awakened abilities, "munchy" skills, or "munchy" resources. So I wouldn't worry about it too much.

Besides, I would hardly call an elf mage with a 5 Charisma munchy, when elves can have a Charisma of 8 (9 if you used the Bonus Attribute Edge on it, instead) - which, for a full mage, is (usually) far more important than a high Quickness.
gknoy
What about combining bonus attribute pont, and exceptional attribute (lets yuo normally raise above RL via normal attrib points)?

Might not be able to have both affect the same stat, but couldn't one have 7 int and 7 willpower?
A Clockwork Lime
Technically, you can't do it. SR3 has a firm limit that you can only place 6 points into an Attribute. Bonuses and penalties can modify that, but you can't add a 7th point just because your RML has been increased via Exceptional Attribute. It just makes improving it in the future easier.
Kagetenshi
Though whether or not that rule holds with the Companion is questionable given that it's extremely unlikely that Otaku were intended to have a starting cap of 6 in their Attributes.

If you do drop the 6-point cap, you can use it to either put two attributes over usual RML or a single attribute two points above.

~J
tete
QUOTE (gknoy @ Apr 26 2004, 05:31 AM)
What about combining bonus attribute pont, and exceptional attribute (lets yuo normally raise above RL via normal attrib points)?

Might not be able to have both affect the same stat, but couldn't one have 7 int and 7 willpower?

bonus attribute point gives you +1. iif you take it and exceptional on the same attribute
exceptional lets your take it to 7 (not as a starting character though)
and you cant have a 7 without having exceptional attribute
remeber you can actualy take it as high as 9 (being human) but only with alot of karma and not as a starting character (BBB pg. 245)

And yes all your attributes "could be" 7 if a GM allowed it however seeing how it is an edge I would only let one attibute be exceptional.

to sum up a human can have a 7 in any attibute he/she take both bonus attribute and exceptional attribute.
Shockwave_IIc
QUOTE (Kagetenshi)

~J

Hey!! Her Stats are 1 2 1 10 9 10 !!

Oh that doesn't do me any favours does it.....
Siege
I might swap out body and strength given the relative values.

-Siege
gknoy
QUOTE (A Clockwork Lime)
Technically, you can't do it. SR3 has a firm limit that you can only place 6 points into an Attribute. Bonuses and penalties can modify that, but you can't add a 7th point just because your RML has been increased via Exceptional Attribute. It just makes improving it in the future easier.

Hmm .. that is either incorrect, or a bug in NSRCG. wink.gif

I know SR3 says there's a 6 point cap -- but doesn't Exceptional Attribute let you spend a 7th point? That's how NSRCG treats it, and I thought it made sense (why buy an edge now that you can't use for a LONG time later, and probably never, as would be the case in it only affecting the highest you can go?)

In fact, did it really say "no more than 6 pts", instead of "no higher than the <whatever> Limit"? I'll look when I get home, if I remember ...
A Clockwork Lime
Nope, Exceptional Attribute does one thing and one thing only. It raises your Racial Modified Limit by +1. That's it.

And yes, the rules state that you can only put 6 points into a single attribute during character creation. Lemme grab my book and I'll give you a quote and page reference. It's stupid, but dem's the rules.

SR3 p. 55, Choosing Attributes: "No character may start the game with any Attribute higher than 6 (before applicable racial modifiers)."

Exceptional Attribute only raises your RML, it doesn't give you a racial modifier, let alone a bonus point for it. What that means is that you can only start, say, with Willpower 6 and then apply racial modifiers to that. Exceptional Attribute only influences how much it's going to cost to increase it by one point the next time you want to go and do it. It doesn't let you put a 7th point there.
Shockwave_IIc
CL is right. thats how it works, NSRCG treats it differently. And a LOT of Peeps House otherwise for Otaku but neither are Canon
Kagetenshi
Though Exceptional Attribute still has a use. Give a Human Quickness 6, then up it by 1 with Extra Attribute Point, then up the Racial Max to 11 with Exceptional Attribute, then buy four levels of Muscle Toners for a Quickness of 11.

~J
Glyph
QUOTE (tete)
QUOTE (gknoy @ Apr 26 2004, 05:31 AM)

bonus attribute point gives you +1. iif you take it and exceptional on the same attribute
exceptional lets your take it to 7 (not as a starting character though)
and you cant have a 7 without having exceptional attribute
remeber you can actualy take it as high as 9 (being human) but only with alot of karma and not as a starting character (BBB pg. 245)

And yes all your attributes "could be" 7 if a GM allowed it however seeing how it is an edge I would only let one attibute be exceptional.

to sum up a human can have a 7 in any attibute he/she take both bonus attribute and exceptional attribute.

You can't put more than 6 points into a starting Attribute, so you need Bonus Attribute Point to start out with a 7 for a normal human, but you DON'T need the Exceptional Attribute Edge to get that 7. That seems to be a common misconception, but the Bonus Attribute Edge explicitly states that it can take an Attribute over the Racial Modified Limit.
RedmondLarry
A literal interpretation of the two edges (SC.17) is that Exceptional Attribute can raise a character's Racial Modified Limit (RML) to 7 (for human), and that Bonus Attribute allows the starting attribute to be one higher than the RML (now 7 for this character), and thus can be 8. As special cases override standard rules, this must mean that the player can put 7 starting points into that attribute.
Kagetenshi
On the one hand, that's how I treat it.

On the other hand, I'm not seeing the justification for it by the book. Explicate?

~J
mcmackie
QUOTE (gknoy)
QUOTE (A Clockwork Lime @ Apr 26 2004, 12:44 AM)
Technically, you can't do it.  SR3 has a firm limit that you can only place 6 points into an Attribute.  Bonuses and penalties can modify that, but you can't add a 7th point just because your RML has been increased via Exceptional Attribute.  It just makes improving it in the future easier.

Hmm .. that is either incorrect, or a bug in NSRCG. wink.gif

I know SR3 says there's a 6 point cap -- but doesn't Exceptional Attribute let you spend a 7th point? That's how NSRCG treats it, and I thought it made sense (why buy an edge now that you can't use for a LONG time later, and probably never, as would be the case in it only affecting the highest you can go?)

In fact, did it really say "no more than 6 pts", instead of "no higher than the <whatever> Limit"? I'll look when I get home, if I remember ...

Hmm. Somebody must be hurt... severely... I was drunk and hit my head on something. My dog ate my homework. It was the other guy who looks just like me! biggrin.gif
In reviewing "Exceptional Attribute", I realized I shouldn't give a free attribute point. Maybe it was errata that was changed or what? But I had given into an argument about this (perhaps on the old boards). I originally had it correct so it won't be hard to change back. frown.gif Next version, I promise.
[whine] It's not my fault!![/whine] hmm ... wine.
Kakkaraun
Mmm...something good arises from my ignorance. Yum.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012