Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: What books to dump?
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
tete
Ok so i own every shadowrun rpg book except primerunners and a hard cover of 3rd, but alas I need to down size my rpg stock. Im getting rid of all my doubles except 3rd main and some other handy players books but what books could i get rid of completely? old grimore? street samurai? are there any 2nd and 1st edition books worth keeping at leased 1 copy? thanks for your opions.
RedmondLarry
/Edit: Sorry, on first reading your post, I thought you were asking what to toss. Here's my corrected comments:

If you only want to keep a limited set, here's what I'd keep from 1st and 2nd editions: adventures, Seattle Sourcebook, Sprawl Sites, Universal Brotherhood, Bug City, and Paranormal Animals of North America. And only if you're going to GM. As a player they are all dead weight. For a touch more flavor, keep Rigger Black Book (for the pictures) and Shadowbeat.
Drain Brain
And although SoE is going to cover most bases, Tir Nan Og, the London SB and the Germany SB as seperate entities each include information which will not (I understand) be duplicated there.

What am I saying? Keep them all! Find a way, young padawan...
shadd4d
Hang onto the Germany sourcebook; it's a gold mine of the political parties and some of the comments are pure gold (some aren't in the German original, such as the observation of Lofwyr's dislike of anarchy).

I'm still hanging onto my corporate security, neo-anarchist guide to real life, corp shadowfiles (only to have a pre-2060 game), bug city, RBB.

Fields of Fire has some good flavour text; probably my favorite in the entire sourcebook series. Awakenings has some decent flavour text; really makes you understand some magical viewpoints plus the magical threats chapter dealing with Lone Star, toxics, insects, infected, and other things. The chapter labelled "The Magical Arsenel" is almost a must for anyone to read; the power of astral perception is also noted in the one case. Shadowtech and Cybertechnology are interesting with the shadow text; it's one of the things I miss in the big, redone books, e.g. MitS, M&M, CC, R3, M.

Basically if it's got Shadowtext, it's worth holding onto for players to get some info.

Aztlan is pure gold; Ancient's annotations make it even more understandable, but it's also a great sourcebook on its own merits.

I find paranormals of Europe better, if only because the paranormals from NA are updated and discussed.

Don
Abstruse
I'm assuming you're meaning the books from 1st and 2nd ed that isn't duplicated in the 3rd Ed updates (M&M, MitS, R3, Matrix, etc).

Rigger Black Book - Pictures and shadowtalk

Paranormal Animals of NA/Europe - Pictures and shadowtalk, plus I believe a few were left out of the Critters book

Shadowtech - One of my favorite shadowtalk books, plus they explain a lot of background on genetech and bioware in general that's glossed over in the newer books for the most part.

Setting Books - All the setting books from 1st/2nd Ed are much more detailed in general than the 3rd Ed ones. Tir Tairngire, CFS, Tir nA nOg, London, and Germany all have one book describing and NAN has two books, as opposed to all of those nations crammed into 2 books (SoNA & SoE). A lot of info is left out for space, some of which is useless but some of which can come in handy at times.

That's all I can really think of off the top of my head. If you want to get rid of your UB book, send me a message and I'll take it off your hands nyahnyah.gif My copy is all screwed up.

The Abstruse One
CircuitBoyBlue
Yeah, I personally think you're crazy. I play a second edition game, and we're DYING to get our hands on some of the older sourcebooks that we didn't think to get when they were originally out. If you send me a message, I'll make you an offer on some of them.
FlakJacket
Stuff to Toss List:

Various Adventures - All of them, these take up a lot of space and once you've done them with people there's only so many ways you can still re-do them
Grimoire - Defunct now thanks to MitS
Awakenings - Ditto
DMZ - Bit on the crap side, chuck it
High Tech & Low Life - Pictures are nice and all, but just not nice enough
Virtual Realities 1 & 2 - Superseded by Matrix
Cybertechnology - Updated versions of the gear are in Man & Machine, only redeeming feature is the Hatchetman momologue and Cybermancy conversation
Fields of Fire - Again, the gear has been re-covered, SotA updated the merc situation so that only leaves the Matadore posting (cut those pages out if you just want them like with any Cybertechnology bits) smile.gif
Rigger Black Book- Updated again, only needed for the pictures and then you can either just use your memory or imagination
Rigger 2 - Likewise
Street Samurai Catalogue - So much wasted page space it made me feel cheated, just look at the text to layout/graphics ratio, plus whiney/useless shadowtalk comments
Germany/London Sourcebooks - Keep them if you think you might be wanting to go international some time, SoE will be updating but these will still have lots of background stuff they can't cover - although I've never ever really been that fon of London
Native American Nations 1 & 2 - Go right to the top of the to get rid of pile, a couple so/so adventures with a few pages of country information bolted to the back, SoNA does it better
Sprawl Maps/Sites - Use your imagination, plus IMHO, the archtypes were crap
Tir Na nOg - See Germany/London comments

There are probably more but I'm just going off of memory here so I'll most likely come up with some more suggestions later. smile.gif
moosegod
Get rid of all of them! eek.gif

And then give them to me. rotfl.gif
Caine Hazen
yeah I'm still missing 2 source books and 3 adventures, plus a BABy ..so if you want to get some money off of em, send caine_hazen@yahoo.com an email!!! I'll let you know what I'm missing!
SCLariat
Gah! Its like a pack of vultures in here! Shoo! Away from the corpse of this misguided soul! biggrin.gif wink.gif

I would say of all of the 1st & 2nd ed books, you don't want to get rid of the original Seattle Sourcebook or the Paranormal guides. The Seattle Sourcebook for the level of detail, and the paranormal guides for the pictures. Rigger 3 Revised takes care of the picture problem, so the Black Book, etc. is superfluous. I would keep the Street Sam Catalog and Fields of Fire for the pictures, too. It helps new players "visualize" what you're talking about. I like Sprawl Sites for the plot hooks. Real handy if you've got to either throw an adventure together quickly or if you're having god-block.
D.Generate
The question is why do you need to get rid of them? I'm sure if its a space issue you can get rid of other things. But to get rid of Shadowrun books.. thas just blasphemy. Theres got to be some d20 crap you can dump I'm sure. Anyways let me know what you intend to get rid off becasue I will buy them off of you since I never feel like i have enough SR books. Even though I have at least one copy of every book ever made.
tete
Space mostly and the fact my current group isnt playing it... Let's see my RPG collection includes the 3.5 main 3 and T20, A Full shellf (and im talking celling to floor and i cram for space) GURPS, Another one for shadowrun, and one for AD&D, Plus I have all but 3 old earthdawn, riddle of steel, obsidian, call of cthulu, middle earth (the old ICE game) and a whole bunch of other misc titals alot of which i never even played... then theres all the computer books in boxes under my bed and all my novels, plus it seams in my life right now i move every year so thats alot to carry and thats just the books i got guitar amps and PA gear, computers, and old 20inch monitor i bought in 1997....Magic cards and well my fiance saw it and said thats alot of crap (even more stuff stored at my parents place) and I agree with her I dont even need 1/4 of the stuff I have so im getting rid of eveything i dont use.
Topper28
Keep Žem all, you can never have to many RPG books!!
Erebus
I'm with Topper on this one... I have three full sized bookshelves filled with RPG sourcebooks, and another 2 bins full in my attic, and I'm still working on flushing out my Shadowrun collection.

TinkerGnome
I like used bookstores. I take in my old games I never play and they give me cash or trade credit. If I want them in the future, I just buy them again from ebay or a used bookstore. The difference in price is a "storage fee" in my mind wink.gif I'm down to two-three shelves of stuff instead of 8 wink.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012