Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Preview #6
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2, 3
Daedelus
Any Idea on when this will be released to us?
tasti man LH
Presumably this week, as it didn't come out last week, and this is the week before the PDF hits.
hermit
Maybe it has been canned.
Daedelus
QUOTE (hermit @ Jul 1 2013, 02:21 PM) *

That is ok too. I just want an update on what to expect. The wait until the 11th is killing me, and while I'd like something in the meantime to slake my thirst, it would help me mentally gird myself if I knew it was not coming.
tasti man LH
Guess we'll just have to wait and see if anything happens between now and the 11th.
CanRay
QUOTE (hermit @ Jul 1 2013, 04:21 PM) *
*Looks up from the Mason Jars* Huh?
Umidori
"Let's see how you like the taste of my latest invention, The Can-Ray! With the mere push of a button, I can instantly capture any object within the confines of an airtight metallic container, thus providing it with a shelf life of one to five years! Any object at all! ...or anyone! You're in quite the pickle now, my friend!"

*brrzap!*

~Umi
phlapjack77
QUOTE (Umidori @ Jul 2 2013, 11:01 AM) *
You're in quite the pickle now, my friend!"

+1 internets

although your puns are a little rusty...
Umidori
They won't be once I switch from tin to aluminum...

~Umi
phlapjack77
if you do that then you've sealed your victory!
Fatum
Arrrrgh
CanRay
I'm finding all these puns sterile.
Umidori
Oh, well then let's put aside the puns and maybe you could actually confirm or deny the original question? nyahnyah.gif

It wouldn't surprise in the least me if Catalyst decided "No, screw it, all they've done so far is criticize things, we're tired of that, no more previews!" and just buried the thing under a rock somewhere. Of course, if NDA, eh, whatever, no big. wink.gif

~Umi
Fatum
You'd prefer dirty ones, CanRay?
cndblank
So the last Friday before release.

What do you guys think the odds are we get some type of a sixth preview or maybe the English Quick Start Rules for Shadowrun 5 dropping before the release date?

I think I'd like to see some of the archetype PCs like the Street Samurai (which was in the German quick start rules).
hermit
What do you guys think the odds are we get some type of a sixth preview or maybe the English Quick Start Rules for Shadowrun 5 dropping before the release date?

Spitball in the Sun.

I think I'd like to see some of the archetype PCs like the Street Samurai (which was in the German quick start rules).

I can do that.

QUOTE ("Shadowrun Schnellstartregeln (my own translation)")
BODY: 5
AGILITY: 5
REACTION: 3(5)
STRENGTH: 6
WILLPOWER: 3
LOGIC: 3
INTUITION: 5
CHARISMA: 2

ACTIVE SKILLS
[Dice pools are the values in [], (skill+stat).]
Gymnastics 2[9], Intimidation 3[5], First Aid 3[6], Long Arms 2[7], Climb 2[9], Bladed Weapons 5[10], Run 2[9], Pistols 4[9], Automatics 5[10], Survival 2[5], Unarmed 3[8]

GEAR
Commlink [Device Rating 3]
Armoured Jacket [Armour 12]

WEAPONS
Ceska Black Scorpion [Automatics| Acucuracy 5(7) | Damage 6P | AP – | 35© |Range: 0-5 m (K, 0), 6-15 m (L,-1) | Smartgun System]
Remington Roomsweeper [Pistols| Accuracy 4(6) | Damage7P | AP –1 | 8(m) | Range:0-5 m (K, -0), 6-20 m (L, -1) | Smartgun System]
Ruger 100 [Long Rifles| Accuracy 7 | Damage 11P | AP –1 | 5(m) | Range: 0-100 m (K, -0), 101-250 m (L, -0) | Scope (disregard the –1 pool at long range)]
Schwert [Bladed Weapons| Accuracy 6 | Damage 10P | AP –2 | Range 1]

AUGMENTATIONS
[The effects of Augmentations have already been factored into the character's stats.]
Cybereyes [Level3; Eye Recorder, Image Link, Low Light Vision, Smartlink (allows use of the Accuracy bonus of Smartgun Systems), Vision Enhancement 3 (+3 dice on visual Perception checks)]
Dermal Plating 1 [Armour Rating +1]
Wired Reflexes 2 [Reaction +2, +2 Initiative Dice]

KNOWLEDGE SKILLS AND LANGUAGES
Gardening 2, Motorcycles 3, Police Tactics 4, Streets of Seattle 4, Street Gangs 4, Weapons Manufacturers 4
Afrikaans 3, English N

QUALITIES
Courageous

CONNECTIONS
Barkeeper, Pawn Shop Owner, Black Market Weapons Dealer
Bull
*Shakes Magic 8-Ball*

Signs point to "Yes"
cndblank
QUOTE (hermit @ Jul 5 2013, 01:10 PM) *
I can do that.

Thanks all!
Sengir
Well, the MARKs system as described in the QSR seems to be pretty close to the real thing, biggest question for me would be what it takes to simply get into a node...provided that concept still exists at all...
Aaron
QUOTE (Sengir @ Jul 6 2013, 07:29 AM) *
Well, the MARKs system as described in the QSR seems to be pretty close to the real thing, biggest question for me would be what it takes to simply get into a node...provided that concept still exists at all...

Hosts are places in the Matrix you can go. You need a mark on a host to enter it. Nodes aren't a thing in the core rule book.
Sengir
QUOTE (Aaron @ Jul 6 2013, 07:34 PM) *
Hosts are places in the Matrix you can go. You need a mark on a host to enter it. Nodes aren't a thing in the core rule book.

Hmm, so (assuming the QSRs reflect the actual game) getting into $CORP's mainframe just for the bragging rights is a Logic + Hacking (Firewall) test, which also is the kind of test you need to gain further MARKs and do stuff once inside ...

Nodes aren't a thing in the core rule book.

What's the difference besides terminology? One host = one device?
Aaron
QUOTE (Sengir @ Jul 6 2013, 02:04 PM) *
Hmm, so (assuming the QSRs reflect the actual game) getting into $CORP's mainframe just for the bragging rights is a Logic + Hacking (Firewall) test, which also is the kind of test you need to gain further MARKs and do stuff once inside ...

That's one approach, yeah. There's more than one way to skin an icon. EDIT: also the skill and attribute (and limit) that you need once you're inside a host depend a lot on what you're trying to do in there.

What's the difference besides terminology? One host = one device?

In SR4, everything was both an object and a place. We thought that made things really complicated really quickly. So in SR5, everything is either an object (devices, personas, and files) or a place (hosts). So a host is a host, a device is a device, a persona's a persona, and a file's a file. Unless I'm forgetting a fifth type of Matrix icon. I think it's only four.
Epicedion
QUOTE (Aaron @ Jul 6 2013, 02:17 PM) *
That's one approach, yeah. There's more than one way to skin an icon. EDIT: also the skill and attribute (and limit) that you need once you're inside a host depend a lot on what you're trying to do in there.

In SR4, everything was both an object and a place. We thought that made things really complicated really quickly. So in SR5, everything is either an object (devices, personas, and files) or a place (hosts). So a host is a host, a device is a device, a persona's a persona, and a file's a file. Unless I'm forgetting a fifth type of Matrix icon. I think it's only four.

That's a good shift. I do want to see how a host might interact with another host, though. Linked hosts? Subhosts?
hermit
Unless I'm forgetting a fifth type of Matrix icon. I think it's only four.

Programs?
Aaron
QUOTE (Epicedion @ Jul 6 2013, 02:27 PM) *
That's a good shift. I do want to see how a host might interact with another host, though. Linked hosts? Subhosts?

No rules for that, at least in the core rules. Although if you want a house rule, you could probably extend the slaving rules to hosts.
Slacker
QUOTE (hermit @ Jul 6 2013, 01:38 PM) *
Programs?

Programs really just modify your actions, they aren't required the various Matrix actions as hacking is now focused squarely on the skill + attribute test.
For instance, the Armor Hacking program gives you a + 2 dice pool modifier to resist Matrix damage. The Exploit program gives you a +2 bonus on your Sleaze attribute when attempting to Hack on the Fly, etc.
hermit
For instance, the Armor Hacking program gives you a + 2 dice pool modifier to resist Matrix damage. The Exploit program gives you a +2 bonus on your Sleaze attribute when attempting to Hack on the Fly, etc.

I see. Are there programs that affect limits? And can programs still be crashed with a targeted attack?
Aaron
QUOTE (hermit @ Jul 6 2013, 03:00 PM) *
I see. Are there programs that affect limits? And can programs still be crashed with a targeted attack?

Yes and yes.
Sengir
QUOTE (Aaron @ Jul 6 2013, 08:17 PM) *
EDIT: also the skill and attribute (and limit) that you need once you're inside a host depend a lot on what you're trying to do in there.

Sure, spending the marks often requires a test, but first you need to get those marks. And getting those apparently is the same process for the initial access and every subsequent one. I'd have preferred something which reflects the fluff of having overcome the outer defenses in crunch, but oh well, if that ends being my worst complaint about the new matrix...

So in SR5, everything is either an object (devices, personas, and files) or a place (hosts).

So a host is something you can get inside of, and the rest is some icon you interact with?
Epicedion
QUOTE (Sengir @ Jul 6 2013, 05:48 PM) *
Sure, spending the marks often requires a test, but first you need to get those marks. And getting those apparently is the same process for the initial access and every subsequent one. I'd have preferred something which reflects the fluff of having overcome the outer defenses in crunch, but oh well, if that ends being my worst complaint about the new matrix...

So a host is something you can get inside of, and the rest is some icon you interact with?

Yeah, cracking the outer defenses ended up being boring. It looks like it's a simple break-in now followed by avoiding/defeating defenses like ICE.

The Host idea is a good one, and will probably make creating Matrix sites on the fly very easy, which is something that has historically been very time consuming for the GM.

Also if I'm mistaken stuff like door locks and cameras will be addressable ad hoc as icons rather than only through a security node. Much more hack-and-run rather than extended Matrix segments.
Bull
Preview 6 is up now, by the way.

Grab it here: http://www.shadowruntabletop.com/downloads/
Archaos
QUOTE (Fatum @ Jul 2 2013, 12:10 PM) *
Arrrrgh

Why ?
Sengir
You can “hop” between grids, but which grids you can access depend on where you are in the world. You can get on the public or any global grid from anywhere on the planet. Local grids can only be accessed if you’re physically in the grid’s service area. For example, if you’re on Netzwerks Berlin, you could see and interact with a commlink that is on Seattle’s Emerald City, but you wouldn’t be able to hop to Emerald City grid itself

And you lost me, right there. Grids are like a cell network, OK. I can see devices which are not on my grid, huh? But I can't get on the remote grid myself, huh²? If I have access to devices on other grids, why do I care about those things? For a subchapter that allegedly wants to explain the concept of grids, it leaves open more questions than it answers...
Fatum
QUOTE (Archaos @ Jul 7 2013, 04:43 AM) *
Why ?
Their puns killed me. I'm dead because of their puns.
(Also, because of the new Matrix rules which bring me so much despair I don't want to comment on them, just cry in the corner, but that's beside the point because that's not what I was replying to)
Epicedion
QUOTE (Sengir @ Jul 6 2013, 07:43 PM) *
And you lost me, right there. Grids are like a cell network, OK. I can see devices which are not on my grid, huh? But I can't get on the remote grid myself, huh²? If I have access to devices on other grids, why do I care about those things? For a subchapter that allegedly wants to explain the concept of grids, it leaves open more questions than it answers...

The idea is that grids largely overlap. You can be on the Renraku grid and access proximate icons on the Seattle grid or the public grid but there's some interference between them (my Verizon phone can call your Sprint phone).

Hosts interface every grid that overlap them.

You can hop grids if you have access rights or break in.

EDIT: Think of it like an LTG, but locally all LTGs are cross-connected in the same space. You can hop LTGs for better access to stuff on that particular LTG, but each is connected to the hosts.
Tzeentch
Egads at some of the weird grammar and sentence fragments in this preview.

Huh. The visualization stuff sounds just as bad and unworkable as the original Matrix that it harkens back to . . . but as long as the mechanics work I'm copacetic.
Chimera
The idea of grid overlap is interesting. I wonder if there will be a visual representation in the rulebook, just so I know I'm interpreting it correctly. This game reminds me of Planescape at times smile.gif
Umidori
Okay, so, conflicting information from two spots on the same page.

QUOTE ("P. 222 @ DNI Side Box")
...if you’re using a sim module along with your DNI, you can get a sort of “super AR mode” where you can also feel, smell, and taste your AR experience.

QUOTE ("P. 222")
...if you use AR with a direct neural interface like trodes or an implant, you can use all of your senses to view AR without any extra devices.

Which is it? Is DNI alone enough to use all your senses, or do you in fact need an additional sim module to experience smell, taste, and touch?

Addendum: A couple pages later, in the hacking example, you're honestly telling me that a bank 1) has an emergency exit in a deserted back alley that is not covered by security cameras, 2) has outfitted this emergency exit with a maglock instead of a mechanical one-way locking system, and 3) has outfitted a universal access port to the outside of this door? Why?!? What possible reason could they have for this utter security idiocy? They're a goddamn bank!

~Umi
Epicedion
QUOTE (Umidori @ Jul 6 2013, 11:39 PM) *
Okay, so, conflicting information from two spots on the same page.

Which is it? Is DNI alone enough to use all your senses, or do you in fact need an additional sim module to experience smell, taste, and touch?

Sounds like either/or?

Addendum: A couple pages later, in the hacking example, you're honestly telling me that a bank 1) has an emergency exit in a deserted back alley that is not covered by security cameras, 2) has outfitted this emergency exit with a maglock instead of a mechanical one-way locking system, and 3) has outfitted a universal access port to the outside of this door? Why?!? What possible reason could they have for this utter security idiocy? They're a goddamn bank!

~Umi

Maybe it's a shitty bank. Society's largely cashless.
hermit
No actual rules covered. Fabulous. That answers all the questions I had. It does raise a number of further questions though.

So it's a half-old style, half-SR4 Matrix now, with LTGs that seem really meaningless except for the malus you get when accessing across a grid (to stay with Epicedion's example, a Verizon phone can call a Sprint phone, but the call will be lousy quality, I guess). Then there are local LTGs, as opposed to global LTGs (RTGs?), and if you do not happen to be in the city the local network is bound to you cannot access it? Did I get that right?

Also, there is so much Strange in the example Matrix run, aside from the weird security setup of the bank itself. Why does the Decker tap into the lock with a data cable? Isn't this supposed to be, you know, a wireless Matrix? Is wireless hacking so bad it is unviable now? Why doesn't someone else watch the hacker's meatbod? Does Overwatch log a character's actions in the Matrix ... a day? until re-log? forever? If so, why on earth is the guy hacking some waitresses' s commlink while on a run? And damage to his Icon means his deck is ... on fire? Or at least sizzling? But it can be repaired in a few hours, so I guess it's only got non-vital components that are highly flamable. I wonder if Technomancers get the same treatment, though. And even an elegant jackout gives you dumpshock now? That'll go well with corp deckers and wage slaves.
Sendaz
QUOTE (hermit @ Jul 7 2013, 02:27 AM) *
And damage to his Icon means his deck is ... on fire? Or at least sizzling? But it can be repaired in a few hours, so I guess it's only got non-vital components that are highly flamable. now?

In hindsight, Novatech later admitted that the new redesign replacing some of the tiny plastic components in the decks with tiny plastic explosives may not have been as cool as originally anticipated. biggrin.gif

On a sidenote: To trigger ALL of the tiny charges at once in your deck type in the following:

Load "Gandalf",8,1

Password: YOUSHALLNOTPASS (case-sensitive)

3 second delay to allow for dramatic posing
Tzeentch
Commlinks are made with the same 'energetic' materials as Star Trek consoles.
Epicedion
QUOTE (hermit @ Jul 7 2013, 01:27 AM) *
No actual rules covered. Fabulous. That answers all the questions I had. It does raise a number of further questions though.

So it's a half-old style, half-SR4 Matrix now, with LTGs that seem really meaningless except for the malus you get when accessing across a grid (to stay with Epicedion's example, a Verizon phone can call a Sprint phone, but the call will be lousy quality, I guess). Then there are local LTGs, as opposed to global LTGs (RTGs?), and if you do not happen to be in the city the local network is bound to you cannot access it? Did I get that right?

Also, there is so much Strange in the example Matrix run, aside from the weird security setup of the bank itself. Why does the Decker tap into the lock with a data cable? Isn't this supposed to be, you know, a wireless Matrix? Is wireless hacking so bad it is unviable now? Why doesn't someone else watch the hacker's meatbod? Does Overwatch log a character's actions in the Matrix ... a day? until re-log? forever? If so, why on earth is the guy hacking some waitresses' s commlink while on a run? And damage to his Icon means his deck is ... on fire? Or at least sizzling? But it can be repaired in a few hours, so I guess it's only got non-vital components that are highly flamable. I wonder if Technomancers get the same treatment, though. And even an elegant jackout gives you dumpshock now? That'll go well with corp deckers and wage slaves.

Parsing the example, I'm getting this:

Apparently there are (at least) two ways to get into a host -- one is to hack it directly from the Matrix, which puts you in contact with the host's firewall. The other would be to directly interface with a device that's attached to the host, and then you only have to deal with the Device Rating of whatever you're connecting to.

So I'm guessing that by plugging a wire directly into the maglock, the decker is bypassing the slave/master wireless protection the host is granting it. It's called a 'security hole' for a reason.

It appears that Matrix Combat Damage = Deck Damage. Sizzles are for dramatic effect (though maybe part of the repair process is replacing onboard surge protectors and capacitors). It reads sort of like Grey IC, but not as bad. Your OMG IT SAID CRACKLES SO IT MUST HAVE CAUGHT FIRE WITH THE FLAMES OF A THOUSAND MILLION SUNS is funny, but probably inaccurate.

I'm guessing GOD gets some sort of roll to detect shenanigans.

I'm guessing he didn't gracefully logoff from that encounter.
RHat
QUOTE (Epicedion @ Jul 7 2013, 01:05 AM) *
It appears that Matrix Combat Damage = Deck Damage.

Which MAY help balance things out if Matrix Damage still works the same way for Technomancers - after all, if Matrix Damage is more common, and if it still goes directly to the technomancer's stun track...
Umidori
So here's a question...

Hosts: who can "host" one, and how much control do they have over it? I assume not just anyone can set up a Host, and I also assume that GOD mandates limits on how an "owner" can restrict access or otherwise control their own Host. Just how does this all work?

If I own a nightclub and want to create a Host for it, can I do that myself, or do I have to ask GOD to do it for me? Given the degree of control GOD seems to have, as well as the dispersed "cloud" nature of Hosts, I have trouble imagining that someone could build and operate one without "the grace of GOD".

Which leads me to the preview's small glimpse at the JackPoint Host. I'm having a very hard time imagining that it operates at all like the old JackPoint, much less Shadowland before that. A dangerous community of criminals somehow manage to operate their own private Host and GOD doesn't just smite them down from the digital sky? Yeah, sure. No, especially combined with the Hidden Stories stuff about FastJack and the Ares mind-control nanites and whatnot, it seems like JackPoint as a Host would have to be GOD controlled, meaning it's one giant idiot trap.

Of course, I have a highly incomplete picture without the full book...

~Umi
Sengir
QUOTE (Epicedion @ Jul 7 2013, 02:15 AM) *
The idea is that grids largely overlap. You can be on the Renraku grid and access proximate icons on the Seattle grid or the public grid but there's some interference between them (my Verizon phone can call your Sprint phone).

Proximate? We're talking UCAS western seaboard to east Germany here. Unless it's one of the other 50 Berlins in the former US. The "Netzwerks" might be seen as an indication for that, but weird foreign names in RPGs are the norm, so I guess they mean Berlin, AGS, Europe.

You can hop grids if you have access rights or break in.

Local grids can only be accessed if you’re physically in the grid’s service area

EDIT: Think of it like an LTG

That was my initial idea, until I read the chapter purportedly about "one of the keys to the new system". Where I learned that "grid" is a fancy name for your telco and it does not really matter which grid you and your remote partner are on. All the description of grids, "which need to be understood if you plan on doing any serious Matrix work", tells me is that the whole concept does not matter more than my choice of telcos. The only reason my grid would ever matter would be when I travel somewhere outside of my grid provider's coverage area. Which, unless you are travelling to present-day Germany, would entail the truly gigantic task of getting a short-term prepaid plan from one of the local providers...

Now, all the hue and cry about the new system and how it was strongarmed by the GOD as an end-all to matrix crime could make one suspect that there is perhaps a bit more to grids. In that case, whoever wrote that section wasted half a page without touching upon the important points AT ALL. Congratulations whoever you are, you'd make a great speechwriter.
Chimera
QUOTE (Umidori @ Jul 7 2013, 08:14 AM) *
Which leads me to the preview's small glimpse at the JackPoint Host. I'm having a very hard time imagining that it operates at all like the old JackPoint, much less Shadowland before that. A dangerous community of criminals somehow manage to operate their own private Host and GOD doesn't just smite them down from the digital sky? Yeah, sure. No, especially combined with the Hidden Stories stuff about FastJack and the Ares mind-control nanites and whatnot, it seems like JackPoint as a Host would have be GOD controlled, meaning it's one giant idiot trap.

~Umi

I've found that rules tend to collapse when they pertain to NPCs that advance or are important to the story. That goes for Shadowrun and nearly every other game system. Which doesn't mean that it doesn't sometimes irk me.
Sendaz
QUOTE (Umidori @ Jul 7 2013, 08:14 AM) *
So here's a question...

Hosts: who can "host" one, and how much control do they have over it? I assume not just anyone can set up a Host, and I also assume that GOD mandates limits on how an "owner" can restrict access or otherwise control their own Host. Just how does this all work?

If I own a nightclub and want to create a Host for it, can I do that myself, or do I have to ask GOD to do it for me?
~Umi

Some say you can use the new PRAISE (Priority Request for Answers Involving System Essentials) system when wanting to contact GOD. biggrin.gif

Joking aside, GOD just lays down the protocols and guidelines along with enforcement for same, you should still be able to hire someone qualified and probably GOD certified like PRIESTs (Pubicly Registerd Information & Electronic Systems Technician) to put this together for you. Fees may vary and rumors persist about Fallen PRIESTs who help set up underground nodes that somehow hide within the Matrix.
Fatum
If you can hide hosts on the Matrix, doesn't the whole GOD-everwhere setup lose any semblance of reason?
Shinobi Killfist
QUOTE (Fatum @ Jul 7 2013, 10:21 AM) *
If you can hide hosts on the Matrix, doesn't the whole GOD-everwhere setup lose any semblance of reason?

Maybe. Is GOD everywhere or just everywhere connected to main corp Hosts. It can easily be that Hosts can be seperate enough from the other hosts so that they are hidden from even GOD. I'd expect this to actually e a requirement for the coprs to go along with it as they wont have super secret facility on a Host that can be easily found and patrolled by GOD.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012