Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Helping new GMs
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Tinyemperor
The Table of Contents entries for the Game Master's Advice chapter brought a smile to my face.

I'm not a new GM by any means, but I've seen my share of new players attempt to GM after a few runs. It often feels like an awkward puberty, even if they are seasoned GMs in other games. Running a SR game is Hard compared to many other "mainstream" RPGs. And here are 40 pages full of helpful GM entries that look to cover all the parts of what makes a classic run.

Sometimes, Shadowrun has felt like it was only focused on the die-hard fans.

Thanks guys.

PS: 4th edition gave 4 pages to GMs about how to run a game. Ouch.
Epicedion
QUOTE (Tinyemperor @ Jul 7 2013, 02:03 AM) *
The Table of Contents entries for the Game Master's Advice chapter brought a smile to my face.

I'm not a new GM by any means, but I've seen my share of new players attempt to GM after a few runs. It often feels like an awkward puberty, even if they are seasoned GMs in other games. Running a SR game is Hard compared to many other "mainstream" RPGs. And here are 40 pages full of helpful GM entries that look to cover all the parts of what makes a classic run.

Sometimes, Shadowrun has felt like it was only focused on the die-hard fans.

Thanks guys.

PS: 4th edition gave 4 pages to GMs about how to run a game. Ouch.

Yes, Shadowrun has always sort of assumed you know what you're doing, and has never gone out of its way to answer questions like "how do I power-balance encounters" and "how much security is too much security?" and "how do I spin this into a connected campaign?"

Even as a seasoned veteran, I'm looking forward to the GM section. Especially some of the random tables. I love random tables.
RHat
A good GM section is always a good thing, even for the experience GM's.
Larsine
I always like how Esoterrorist handled the "What is a roleplaying game".
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012