Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Steve Jackson knew it all!
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > General Gaming
JongWK
Just when you thought human stupidity had a limit...

FNORD!
Kagetenshi
The New World Order is coming. Are you ready, citizen?

~J
A Clockwork Lime
God, I hate conspiracy theorists.

But then, you can't really blame them for being insane. Gotta love any religion that basically states that if world peace and harmony is ever achieved, the world is going to end. <wipes away a tear> That's beautiful.
Connor
I find consipacy theorists to be great fodder for game metaplot ideas. At least, in those games dealing with far reaching actions and consequences. Or even if you just want an elaborate story to give your players only a small piece of.

And that David Icke guy that's referenced on the page JongWK linked to...browse through his site if you have some time to kill...it's priceless!
Lindt
At first I was "Who could be THIS stupid?" then I noticed what domain its from. www.cuttingedge.org Lets hear it for christian fundamentalists.
Austere Emancipator
What the hell... I read it and thought it was a joke!
Ecclesiastes
Not all fundamentalists are as lame as this guy is.
Austere Emancipator
Enough are to ruin their reputation, though. You don't see that many agnostics or ther "free thinkers" (dunno what the proper English term is) bashing RPGs because they "corrupt the youth's morals" or something.

That goes for all fundamentalists, though, not just christians.
Ecclesiastes
I'm pretty much fundamentalist myself and I hang out here all day. Being christian doesn't mean you are into all the conspiracies and stuff like that, it just means you take the Bible at face falue, or its fundamentals if you will.
Austere Emancipator
My understanding is that you don't even have to put much value on the bible to be christian, you just have to believe in a (rather) christian god and Jesus. Note that even I didn't say all fundamentalists are like that, just enough to ruin their reputation. My comment about "all fundamentalists" just meant that there are rotten eggs among all different religions, or even fundamentalists of a non-religious nature.

Luckily here anti-RPG sentiments are a thing of the past. Even when they were expressed, they were limited to a few loonies somewhere in the Northern countryside -- all of which christians, of course, but that isn't surprising because 15 years ago ~98% of the people in our Northern countryside were.

It seems, though, that anti-RPG sentiments are quite uncommon there too. I haven't seen any news about them being banned or their makers sued for some time now. Is that just because of a lack of mass murders/suicides, or have new scapegoats been found?
Mr. Man
QUOTE (Ecclesiastes)
Not all fundamentalists are as lame as this guy is.

I have to admit it, you're right.

Many fundamentalists are even more lame!

TinkerGnome
Fundamentalist != moron. So called "fundamentalists" often don't have a whole lot of their actual religion in their beliefs. By and large, "fundamentalist" atheists are some of the most annoying people on earth.
Ecclesiastes
QUOTE (TinkerGnome @ Apr 27 2004, 11:06 AM)
By and large, "fundamentalist" atheists are some of the most annoying people on earth.

Amen.

edit: I can say that because I used to be one. wink.gif
Lindt
Ok, lets edit that. Radical Christian Fundamentalists. That better?
But then, I have about as much faith in cuttingedge.org as I do in moveon.org and abortionismurder.org extinguish.gif Im done now, dont kill me?
CountZero
Hey, don't forget banned-books.com in the "kind of weird" catagory. They might almost be a credible site, if it wasn't for their pimping of David Icke's books on their front page.

In fact, Dave, You Make Kitty Scared
Pthgar
Some fundalmentalists (like me and my friends) play rpgs. Agnostics and athiests have their own breed of embarasments.

Let's not forget the millions of American fundmentalists who think that stuff is big a load of baloney as you're gonna find anywhere.
Austere Emancipator
QUOTE (Pthgar)
Agnostics and athiests have their own breed of embarasments.

Relating to the misunderstanding of RPGs or other facets of gaming industries? I'm not saying it hasn't happened, but I've never seen agnostics spreading misinformation about games on a similar scale as religious fundamentalists.
Frag-o Delux
If want to hear some really good wack jobs listen to coast to coast am. It used to be hosted by Art Bell, well he still does on the weekends but now it si by a guy named George I think his last name is Noory or Nooray. Good stuff at 3am. They have site at www.coasttocoastam.com . all that Illuminati stuff has been covered and will be recorvered along with alien overlords all the way down to government experiements in our vacines. smile.gif
Kakkaraun
Hey, I'm a conspiracy theorist. Not that I necessarily BELIEVE lots of it (ESPECIALLY stuff like this), but I believe it's possible. A lot of it has some pretty good evidence.

Oh, shit! I forgot to put on my tinfoil hat! THEY'LL GET MEEEEEE!!!
Connor
Frag-o, you did forget to mention that they do occasionally cover real science on coast to coast. I've tuned into some good stuff there occasionally.
shadd4d
Man. Sometimes it's frankly disturbing that some people do actually believe this. It's also a tad freaky that this actually makes a bit of sense.

Don
Austere Emancipator
QUOTE (shadd4d)
this actually makes a bit of sense.

You mean, such as this pitiful excusive of an article? Might as well go back and say that Nostradamus really was a great foreteller because he could say for certain that "Some time in the future, lots of people will die".

No, this doesn't make one bit of sense.
Frag-o Delux
QUOTE (Connor)
Frag-o, you did forget to mention that they do occasionally cover real science on coast to coast. I've tuned into some good stuff there occasionally.

The problem with covering real science while surrounding it wiht so much crazy is most people will tend not to listen to that either.

Hey I believe aliens are real, I mean with billions of planets out there do you honestly believe we are the only planet with life on it. I have also seen some stuff that I can only explain as ghosts also, but then again I am no scientist with espensive equipment to prove other wise.

The problem is they have truck drivers calling up saying they time travel in their PeterBuilt. Maybe they do, but I am sure it is just a meth induced hallucination. OR the guy they had call up and sadi he was a IT professor and refuses to upgrade his classroom computers from 98 to 2000 ME or better because Bill Gates is spying on him for the government, not to mention XP doesn't offer anything better then 98 can do. Or a lady called up asking about solar flares. She was curious if we were exsposed to any strong solar flares in the last few days. Her computer stopped working, so it must have been solare flares, not the millions of things that could have possibily gone wrong with a computer. If here phone worked to call the radio station do you think a solar flare cooked her computer?

I love the show, but the listener call ins are just crazy wackos looking for exceptence. Some of the guest are not all together there either.
shadd4d
It makes sense to fruit-loops (whose god must be Toucan Sam). Kind of annoying that the internet gave them a voice. It's sometimes sad to see the dirrection even fringe elements take.

Don
Kanada Ten
At least the Internet lets us see them. No more pretending they don't exist until we have to bury three hundred bodies.
Connor
I had to turn the show on last night, since I hadn't bothered to listen in ages. The topic was "communicating with the dead". Quite exciting! There was a medium dude on there ala John Edwards or whatever his name is... and some guy that clones your pet cat. eek.gif

Good times I say!
Arethusa
That article is simply stunning. I have to say, it almost verges on barely kind of credible esque when it sticks to talking about the raid on SJ Games. And then, of course, demon faces. Right.
Kakkaraun
"refuses to upgrade his classroom computers from 98 to 2000 ME or better because Bill Gates is spying on him for the government, not to mention XP doesn't offer anything better then 98 can do."

Well, XP does have more advanced user-tracking ware, and...well, frankly, it sucks sweaty cock as an OS. So I don't really see what's wrong with that statement.
A Clockwork Lime
I use XP for one reason and one reason only. ClearType. It took 'em long enough to incorporate that into an operating system. If that means I've given up all my freedom, so be it.
Frag-o Delux
The problem with it is, if the students there are paying him to teach them about computers he is doing them a disservice. When they get out of school a lot of business computers will be using XP if not they will be using 2000. So he is ripping them off. Also XP also takes advantage of a lot more hardware. Sure you get use it with 98 but you will be haveing a hard time. Not to mention a lot of spy ware doesn't care which version of windows you have. Not to mention the government doesn't need BIlls help spying on us, they have already infiltrated Ma Bell, were they only need to work with the 5ESS system to listen in your communications, not the multitude of computer systems. They also can get your credit reports if they want to.

What would rather have Xp or Linux or OSX? YOu will be at a major disadvantage if yo take anything other then XP. Sure Linux is comeing up, but you can do that ina completely different class. OSX is not going ot be used in an office for the majority of computers, no matter how many TV shows and movies show apple computers

That is what is wrong with his statement.
Kagetenshi
I would rather have OSX, or barring that OS9, as the computer in my hands demonstrates.

Also, try going into music production. Video editing? There are fields that Apple pretty solidly dominates, so it all depends on what you're doing.

~J
Frag-o Delux
I understand OSX has its places but the vast majority is going to be a Windows world, not givng the class the latest technology is going to hurt them. Which is really sad, just because you think Bill and friends are trying to read your email. That is a screwball that really hurts the serious stuff that is on the fringe. That stuff will always be on the fringe as long as it stays close to these types of people.

Seeing that I own several Windows machines and do all my music and video on them I see no problem and I don't see any difference on things done on a Mac. I think that is all just a myth, but then again I have not used a Mac in almost 15 years. smile.gif
Kagetenshi
Let me put it this way: I have yet to hear anyone say anything better about Adobe Premier than "it works. Sometimes." On the other hand, glowing reports of Final Cut Pro abound amongst the people I know.

~J
Frag-o Delux
I can't debate the merits or short comings of each and every program out there. I have yet to find any software I am truely happy with, they all seem to leave me wanting and I have not used all them to make a fair comparison.

But the fact of the matter is, the vast majority of computers are and will be for the foreseeable future will be a Windows machine. Using an unreasonable fear of being spied on to short change paying cutomers in a field that is ever changing and needs to be kept upto date is very dissapointing. Bordering on criminal. If you went to medical school to learn to be a doctor and your professor was showing the latest in amputation to cure a infected toe nail, because he thought anti-biotics are the work of the devil, wouldn't you be a little pissed when malpractice suits started to roll in? If this gu wishes not to be spied on, don't hook them up to a internet connection. Or better yet go live in the woods away from society. I wonder if he relised his call to the show was logged, or his phone bill is stored somewhere. How about all the other bullshit he does every day. Just about every thing you do on a daily basis is being tracked by some corporation, short changing paying customers, customers who are expecting quality education to further their livelihood is wrong. If you walked into my classroom and started telling you how Big Brother is watching us all, so I will only teach you how to use a Commador 64, how would you feel?
Kagetenshi
Amused. And then I'd withdraw from his course and get my money back. You have a point, though; if he doesn't like Bill Gates, he should at the least be teaching the latest of some other system, which of course should be listed in the course description.

~J
Frag-o Delux
That is all I was saying. I can not say with out bias and being a total lair which system is best as I have not used an Apple in 15 years like I have stated. In fact I don't really care what side of th ePC/Apple fence you fall on. This guuy is just a wack job and is commiting in my mind some sort of acedemic fruad/theft.

But enough about that guy.

The cards I find no real "conspiracy" in either. All the disease cards and controlling the media BS is already in every Big Brother/NWO book out there, since Big Brother became the term to call it.

The bombing of the two building that sort of look like the twin towers is just a little strange. In philly they have a set of twin towers also. Not exactly like the ones in New York. Also there have been a few books published well before the first trade center bombing, that specificly talk about using planes in suicide terrorist attacks. What happened on 911 is just shocking because the vast majority of people on the planet never thought of it. Also th epart about the All seeing eye on the building behind it, so what the game is about the Illuminati, what else would they put in the picture, Chuck E. Cheese?

As to the pentagon card, gibberish also. That building is so freaking huge and so well built nothing short of a nuclear blast is going to stop it from doing its job and that is making sure we can continue to fight wars. In fact if the Pentagon was to be hit by something big enough to cause an evacuation the leaders that run our military will be in an off site command center running the show in minutes. Like I just said though that building is so freaking huge, with so many underground "bunkers" it will be ready to run wars for a long time.

The guy is also a complete wack job, talking about micro nuclear devices. If they were going to blow up the trade center with a nuclear bomb why slam planes into it first? I mean if I had a nuclear device that was capable to knock down a building I would have just blown up the buildings. The planes and late detonation of the bombs allowed people to escape. The bombs knocking down the buildings would have killed 40,000 people (?) is what I heard worked in the buildings. Sure it would not have been as scary looking as it was seeing planes slam into the builds, but the thought of terrorist with nuclear arms is even more menacing. Then they could have saved the plane trick for when the ran out of nuclear bombs.

Conspiracy nuts see conspiracies in everything even coincedences. If 10 cars drove past me and 8 were red I would just think, well nothing, red cars are popular. The Lone Gunman over there would think the governemnt is trying to make us all buy red cars, because the duponts make more money of off red paint. And with the help of the Vanderbelts and what ever other twisted family trees they can thng of joining in on the NWO of red cars every where. Not to mention the 8 red cars in a row is the manchurian candidate signal to start burning babies on alters to sacrafice to the moon goddess but don't foget the key os Solomon! don't forget the Skull and Bones society I am sure they have a hand in making all the cars red.
Herald of Verjigorm
"Any phenomena may be explained by a government conspiracy." -- Oliver Stone
Kakkaraun
Oliver Stone is a god among men. I really gotta wonder about the context of that quote, too wink.gif.
Fresno Bob
Probably someone asked him about some phenomonon, and that was his explanation.
Jpwoo
And he missed the point completely on the pentagon card. It is flaming because there is a demon being contained there.

I do like Art Bell's show because no matter how outlandish or crazy his callers are he isn't condescending. That must take incredible will. He occationally calls someone out for doing drugs or the like, but that is about all. The only time I ever heard him be closed minded or agressive toward a guest was when he was interveiwing some Ludite from Eugene OR who wants us to get rid of all tech.
Panzergeist
The theory of evolution is also part of the Illuminati plan to desensitize us to change. Remember, change is evil, unless of course it is merely the reversing of a previous change.

Also, has anyone played Deus Ex? In the first Deus Ex game, it is mentioned that the world trade center was destroyed by terrorists, and I believe it mentions that they did so by crashing planes into it. This game came out in 1999, or somewhere around there. Of course, it also puts the date of said terrorist attack in the 2040's, but don't let that stop you from tying it in with a short-lived eighteenth century Bavarian cult.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012