Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Masking Help
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Kakkaraun
This is what I'm thinking...I want to initiate my character and have him learn Masking. Now, in addition to masking himself, he'll now be able to mask one force point worth of spells, foci, or whatever. So, let's say he has a Force 1 sustaining focus, this'll be completely masked (unless the mask is penetrated by another initiate). Okay...so unless there's an initiate around, my mage will look like some regular fellow with no foci. But if he's found out, the focus will be really, really, really easy to dispel.

Is my understanding correct? Any better ideas?
Ecclesiastes
Thats about it.
Kakkaraun
Okay...and how does Masking impact your astral signature?
A Clockwork Lime
That's basically it.

The big mistake your making is the assumption that an opponent is going to bother to waste time dispelling your sustaining focus. When he could much more quickly just "dispel" you. In all the games I've ever played as a player, I've never once saw anyone's focus ever get dispelled as a conscious effort by an attacking magician, whether it was force 1 or force 10. It's just not worth the time and effort even if it's an easy task to do.

I mean, what's the end result? Sure, you just lost a few dice on your Initiative, but now the enemy magician just let his existance be known blowing a perfectly good shot at a Surprise Test that could have caked the entire team. And of course you're still at full strength sans the initiative boost (assuming that's what it is, as there's only one other spell I'd ever consider putting in a Force 1 focus)... so he didn't really gain a remarkable advantage by doing it, either. Especially since you can just cast it again while the rest of the team focuses on the baddie.
Kakkaraun
Yeah, that makes sense, I guess. Thanks.
Kanada Ten
You also want to mask the spell sustained in the foci, which would require another level of initiation. Deliberate Masking (exclusive action) can mask a great deal more. Only other initiates with Masking can see through your Mask, so for the most part you'll be in the clear.

It has no affect on Signatures to my knowledge.
Kakkaraun
Wait, so for a Sustaining focus, you have to mask both the focus and the spell in it?

Sheesh. Really, you'd think that Masking would let you mask a lot more foci and spells and whatnot.
A Clockwork Lime
You would think. The rules seem to assume that high grade initiates (Grade 5 or higher) are apparently commonplace, though. Sadly, several of the techniques need high grades to really be useful. Masking, Shielding, and Invoking being the three big ones.
Eyeless Blond
The big one to learn at the beginning is Centering anyway. It helps with just about everything, and is pretty much the only metamagic technique that is pretty much independent of grade (IIRC).
Kakkaraun
I don't think it's as beneficial as the ability to hide from almost everyone the fact that you're Awakened...
RedmondLarry
QUOTE (Eyeless Blond)
The big one to learn at the beginning is Centering anyway. It helps with just about everything.

Sure, take the Centering metamagic technique and then with another 20 to 30 Karma you can learn the Centering Skill at a good rating (more if you don't already have a creative skill). A lot of magicians instead go for a metamagic technique that is useful right away, instead of after spending a bunch more Karma.

Besides Masking, another favorite is Quickening in the low grades.
Cain
Technically, you can *have* the centering skill at any time. You just can't *use* it until you initiate and learn Centering.
Kakkaraun
Hey...uhm...so does anyone know how masking impacts astral signatures?
Sunday_Gamer
Far as I know, it doesn't.

I play a shaman (Kong) with masking (because masking is my friend!)

I have 3 major "modes"

1) Unawakened human mundane.
2) Awakened non-initiate mage.
3) "FLying your colors" my actual grade III initiate status.

The BEST part of masking is the ability to go dual without it being obvious.

Sunday
Eyeless Blond
Can you use masking to get around wards and the like? I can't read that particular page of this copy of MitS (p. 88).
Zazen
QUOTE (A Clockwork Lime)
The big mistake your making is the assumption that an opponent is going to bother to waste time dispelling your sustaining focus. When he could much more quickly just "dispel" you. In all the games I've ever played as a player, I've never once saw anyone's focus ever get dispelled as a conscious effort by an attacking magician, whether it was force 1 or force 10. It's just not worth the time and effort even if it's an easy task to do.

Yeah, dispelling is usually a waste of time, but that's no reason for my NPC mages to ignore foci. They're ripe targets for astral spirits (who often have nothing better to do), and encasing the player in an astral barrier is a nice indirect way to deal with them.

It's pretty reasonable to want to mask it.
Cain
QUOTE (Eyeless Blond)
Can you use masking to get around wards and the like? I can't read that particular page of this copy of MitS (p. 88).

Yes, you can try to "synchronize" your aura to that of the ward's maker. It has certain benefits, like not tripping the alarm by attacking the ward; also, you can apparently get your foci through very readily.
RedmondLarry
Rarely have I seen dispelling, but I've sometimes seen a magician tell his low-force spirits to destroy the opponents low-force foci, while the magician and his team heads into battle.

QUOTE (Eyeless Blond)

Purchase a good, legal, readable copy of MitS.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012