Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: My SR5 Wireless Bonuses Revised
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Moirdryd
Hey folks.

I said I would do it when I'd had a read through and looked at the rules etc.

So here's my reconciling of things like the Wireless Bonuses and so forth to fit with the way the Fluff has both worked and feels like it should work for a consistent Sixth World that has advanced which I thought I'd share.

Wireless Bonuses:

Where Dice Pool + are the Wireless bonus and Limit+ is the standard function. Switch them.

Wireless functions that relay information about the Device function the same way if they are connected through DNI (or if they are Cyberware, in which case DNI is automatically assumed). The key example here being the Internal Air tank, however the character must have a method of viewing that information (image link etc). Information that has to have a broadcast element to it remains Wireless.

Wired Reflexes and Reaction Enhancers stack (like they almost always have) but max out at the +4 Aug. To get them to go beyond this max, then you have to go Wireless (as they begin reacting in “bullet time” fashion with superfast realtime-realspace updates piped through the matrix). However using this interface can cause addiction similar to Hot Sim as it’s the Wires reacting and not You and the sensation could be considered “Overwhelming” or “Godlike” to surpass the limits of Man and Machine.

Devices may be connected via wired DNI through a Datajack (although a datajack only has 1 cable, so multiple are needed for multiple devices). The Smartlink (for Smartguns) or a Trode Headset for which I am playing as having 2 cables.
A Device that has a Wireless bonus that reduces actions to activate, change-mode, ect gains the same bonus on the DNI wired link (also the Wireless for action reduction only works if you can sent a DNI wireless link if you’re running Wireless.) An Observe in Detail can be used to spot the Wires (Threshold/Conceal set by GM) and a Called Shot may be used to target the Wires to Disconnect the DNI. This cannot be attempted against Smartlink cyberware.
However. To retain some of the Wireless flavour a character may run their Devices Wireless with the following benefits instead: If employing Wireless Active devices then for the same action cost that the Wireless Bonus would have been the Character may Activate/Deactivate etc, a number of Devices = to their Intuition rating. This represents the “Active Assessment Program” governing the Devices and your immediate situation/desires and reacting faster that you’re conscious thoughts (or even instincts). If a device gets bricked though then along with the Hardware repairs the Software must also be reset with Software+Logic [Mental] (DR/1hour) extended test.

New Toys for Getting through the Wired defenses:

So, to keep the Hackers in the game when everyone is running Paranoid and looped fibreoptics everywhere, there are some new gizmo’s to open up the Cyberware and Gear.

Nanite Uplink Intrusion Grenade: Avail 12F Cost 1,000Y Blast 10m DR6
It’s an expensive way to work but sometimes it’s what is needed. This cylinder is around half the size of a flashbang and delivers a very different payload. Upon detonation this “grenade” releases a cloud of nanites running their own Wireless signal. They physically hack into any Device they come into contact with (an Opposed Device Rating vs Device Rating roll) and open up a Wireless connection. However this only lasts for 1D6 Combat turns before the nanites burn out and the connection drops.

Neural Intruder Transponder SlapPatch: Avail10R Cost 300Y
Technically a Medical Patch like any other Slap Patch. The NIT activates the Wireless function on a piece of Cyberware. Designed as an emergency measure to allow access to Offline damaged Cyberware it can be used in combat (Sr5 450), this requires the called shot to place the patch either on the Cyberware itself or at a neural pathway (Spine meets neck region). If there is no external cyberware and the nerve trunks are covered then the patch cannot work.

I'm also working on some ammo types and a drone or two to add into the mix.

Wired_SR_AEGIS
I love that Nanite Uplink Intrusion Grenade! Very nice! smile.gif

-Wired_SR_AEGIS
LurkerOutThere
Honestly this is kind of similar to where I'm going with my own rules. The only difference is i'm a lot more restrictive in how people get DNI requiring semi obstrusive trodes (think those extra firewall protection setups they used in ghost in the shell), internal ware, or datajacks. One thing I intensely disliked about 4th edition that 5th made worse is the way they trivialized DNI and how big of a game changer it would really be in everyday life.
cndblank
Not bad.

If a data jack can handle hot VR then I think it can multitask for several devices.
You only really need to talk to one device at a time.
Moirdryd
It totally can cndblank, wirelessly, but it's only got the one FibreOp cable.
Sendaz
Unless you get the Jack(son) Five option. biggrin.gif

Caution: Use of this option may occasionally cause involuntary moonwalking.
Moirdryd
Horizon "Jackson Five" DataJack: Ess 0.3 Availability 6L Cost 3000Y
Providing all the functions of a regular DataJack the HJF comes with 5 fibreoptic cable spools to hard wire jack in to your gear and devices providing a full DNI link.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012