Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: How many programs can you run?
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Charon
How many programs can your deck run? I'm guessing it has to do with your device rating. So... Equal to your rating? Twice your rating?
DireRadiant
p. 243 SR5 "You can’t run more than one program of the same
type on your deck at once"

But later

"Programs come in two categories. Common programs
are ones that are pretty harmless and available most
everywhere for hobbyists and Matrix professionals.
Hacking programs are more dangerous and illegal to
buy, own, or use without a license."

So naturally the question becomes did they mean one Hacking and one Common?

However, going back to p. 227 we can see that Cyberdecks have a Programs atttribute, and here we can see they go from 1 to 6 depending which Cyberdeck you buy.
Charon
Oh, I read that part, I thought it just meant you can't run the same program twice. Especially because of the text that comes right after: (And no, changing the name of one copy of a program to run two copies doesn't work, chummer).

To me it implied you can run several programs, but not copies of the same, so you could net get Armor twice to get +4 to damage resistance, for example.

Did they had that solely for the purpose of Virtual Machine? Weird.
Slide
I'm assuming that it means "You can't run two [bio feedback] programs at once." To me that makes perfect since. I mean What happens to your computer when you run Norton, Spysweeper, McAfree and AVG all at once?
RelentlessImp
QUOTE (Slide @ Jul 14 2013, 05:09 PM) *
I'm assuming that it means "You can't run two [bio feedback] programs at once." To me that makes perfect since. I mean What happens to your computer when you run Norton, Spysweeper, McAfree and AVG all at once?

Your computer explodes into an orgy of virus sweeps, stealing viruses from each other's quarantine zones, labeling the other programs as viruses and attempting to remove them, eventually ending in a deathmatch in Quake 2075, winner take all.

...Someone get me Michael Bay on the phone, I've got the plot for his next film.
Seerow
QUOTE (RelentlessImp @ Jul 14 2013, 10:25 PM) *
Your computer explodes into an orgy of virus sweeps, stealing viruses from each other's quarantine zones, labeling the other programs as viruses and attempting to remove them, eventually ending in a deathmatch in Quake 2075, winner take all.

...Someone get me Michael Bay on the phone, I've got the plot for his next film.

I'd watch it.
Charon
Apparently, RCC can run as many program as their device rating (also, as long as they are not the same type). I'm starting to guess it's the same for the deck, they just forgot to actually write it.
Moirdryd
A Cyberdeck has a Programs trait
Tzeentch
Yeah, for some bizarre reason they don't explicitly reference Programs but it's the last sentence of Cyberdecks on SR5, p. 227.

QUOTE (Shadowrun @ Fifth Edition)
There’s also a listing for the number of programs you can run at a time on a deck, although you can have any number of them in storage.
Slide
QUOTE (RelentlessImp @ Jul 14 2013, 11:25 PM) *

Hi, I'm Slide, and I approve this posting.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012