Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Bloodbank
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
FuelDrop
Bloodbank: Availability -, price 300*rating, capacity [1], Rating 1-3
A cyberlimb fitted with a bloodbank contains an emergency supply of plasma in case the owner suffers severe bloodloss. in game terms, the character's body is considered [rating] higher for determining how quickly they bleed out. Attempts to stabilize them are made with a +1 DP modifier. A bloodbank slowly siphons the character's own blood to replenish itself after use, refilling 24 hours per point of rating after use.

Thoughts?
DamHawke
I'd wonder how it would keep, if the PC doesn't end up using it for long periods of time (or does the 'ware just cycle back the near-expiry blood into the user and refill anew slowly?)

Otherwise, I think it's a good extra option to have smile.gif so long as it doesn't end up leaking somehow cyber.gif
FuelDrop
QUOTE (DamHawke @ Jul 22 2013, 08:20 PM) *
(or does the 'ware just cycle back the near-expiry blood into the user and refill anew slowly?)

That works great smile.gif awesome idea!
Sendaz
Was going to add he could have an option to intentionally dump that excess blood back into their system (ie blood doping) loads up haemoglobin levels for better performance & endurance as the blood can carry more oxygen, but it normally has to be done 24 hours before it's needed, ie do it the day before a run and can cause long term kidney damage.
DamHawke
QUOTE (Sendaz @ Jul 22 2013, 10:21 PM) *
it normally has to be done 24 hours before it's needed, ie do it the day before a run and can cause long term kidney damage.

Sounds like some neat passive-aggressive sabotage though wink.gif
Sendaz
For added fun you can invest in the Lamprey™ Cyberlimb package. This unit modifies the cyberhand to include either five retractable syringes in the fingers or one large harpoon syringe in the classic cyberspur style. These have feeder tubes to draw blood from a victim back the the separation system located in the forearm where an anticoagulant from a refillable tank (10 charges per cylinder) is mixed in before the gyroscopic balanced centrifuge seperates out the plasma from the blood, storing this in the upper limb storage cylinder.

Perfect for topping up off of fallen foes. Just latch on and go!

X-Kalibur
QUOTE (Sendaz @ Jul 22 2013, 07:11 AM) *
For added fun you can invest in the Lamprey™ Cyberlimb package. This unit modifies the cyberhand to include either five retractable syringes in the fingers or one large harpoon syringe in the classic cyberspur style. These have feeder tubes to draw blood from a victim back the the separation system located in the forearm where an anticoagulant from a refillable tank (10 charges per cylinder) is mixed in before the gyroscopic balanced centrifuge seperates out the plasma from the blood, storing this in the upper limb storage cylinder.

And what do you do about Antigen/antibody incompatabilities? Or Rh factor?
Sendaz
QUOTE (X-Kalibur @ Jul 22 2013, 12:15 PM) *
And what do you do about Antigen/antibody incompatabilities? Or Rh factor?
Remember the OP was asking about Plasma systems.

The Lamprey system is storing the Plasma, separating it out via the coagulant/centrifuge system in the forearm. The red blood cells are 'waste' in this case and go to a separate receptacle which can be unloaded at user's convenience.

This avoids the majority of rejection factors as it is the red blood cells carrying the markers for blood type antigens and Rh Factor.

Plasma transfusions follow a different set of rules than red blood cells and whole blood (based on the antibodies in the plasma):
• People with type O blood can get any type of plasma.
• People with type A blood can get A or AB plasma.
• People with type B blood can get B or AB plasma.
• People with type AB blood can get only AB plasma.
• Rh type is usually not a factor in plasma transfusions.

For optimum safety, especially in the case of the user being AB blood type, we recommend using the wireless feature to scan for optimal 'donors'.

While the main draining system is fairly quiet, for 10% you can have a minispeaker system installed to amplify the drainage sounds (loud sucking sounds).
X-Kalibur
At that point (minus extrating blood from victims) I would think a bio-system spleen wouldn't be terribly expensive and just as useful.
Sendaz
QUOTE (X-Kalibur @ Jul 22 2013, 01:09 PM) *
At that point (minus extrating blood from victims) I would think a bio-system spleen wouldn't be terribly expensive and just as useful.

BUT the blood sucking is a bonus! Plus it makes the sammie using this look really fierce.. grrrrrr...especially with the bonus sound system. smile.gif

heh.

It could be done, while the spleen is primarily about filtering the blood and helping with the immune system, a normal metahuman spleen does contains about 5% of your red blood cells as a backup in case levels drop.

Horse spleens in comparison contain up to 30% of their red blood cells, which releases this for added energy.

So with a bit of modification you could have a new bioware item, and since the spleen can also help store up platelets it might even team up with the platelet factory, though exact effects are yet to be determined.
DeathStrobe
QUOTE (Sendaz @ Jul 22 2013, 10:45 AM) *
Remember the OP was asking about Plasma systems.

The Lamprey system is storing the Plasma, separating it out via the coagulant/centrifuge system in the forearm. The red blood cells are 'waste' in this case and go to a separate receptacle which can be unloaded at user's convenience.

This avoids the majority of rejection factors as it is the red blood cells carrying the markers for blood type antigens and Rh Factor.

Plasma transfusions follow a different set of rules than red blood cells and whole blood (based on the antibodies in the plasma):
• People with type O blood can get any type of plasma.
• People with type A blood can get A or AB plasma.
• People with type B blood can get B or AB plasma.
• People with type AB blood can get only AB plasma.
• Rh type is usually not a factor in plasma transfusions.

For optimum safety, especially in the case of the user being AB blood type, we recommend using the wireless feature to scan for optimal 'donors'.

While the main draining system is fairly quiet, for 10% you can have a minispeaker system installed to amplify the drainage sounds (loud sucking sounds).

Your blood is backwards.

O type can give to anyone, universal donor
AB can accept anyone's Blood, universal receiver.

And there is also the problem of proteins, Which is why blood types have a plus and minus. Plus means you have the protein mark in your blood and only people with plus can accept your blood. The minus means you don't have the protein mark so you can give to anyone (assuming the blood types match, of course).

The rarest of all blood is O-, which I assume is technically already in the game as the quality O system from augmentation, which comes with the handy dandy bonus of being able to accept all bioware as delta grade. One of the other downsides to being O- is that you can only accept blood from other O- donors and no one else, and seeing how its really rare, you're pretty screwed. Also blood only has a shelf life of a few weeks, meaning you can't really store it up for emergencies. But, assuming medical technology has advanced in SR by a lot, I assume they have a synthetic O- blood for the purposes of hospitalization for the PCs.

Also, on the flip side, AB+ can accept anyone's blood on earth, with little to no problems, but can't give to anyone but other AB+ people.

I was (and possibly still am) making a game all about blood types and magic with a friend, so I researched all of this. It was very interesting stuff.
X-Kalibur
No, he was correct, Plasma transfusions are different from PBRCs.

"Plasma is used in blood transfusions, typically as fresh frozen plasma (FFP) or Plasma Frozen Within 24 Hours After Phlebotomy (PF24). When donating whole blood or packed red blood cell (PRBC) transfusions, ABO blood type O- is the most desirable and is considered a "universal donor," since it has neither A nor B antigens and can be safely transfused to most recipients. Type AB+ is the "universal recipient" type for whole blood or PRBC donations. However, for plasma the situation is somewhat reversed. Blood donation centers will sometimes collect only plasma from AB donors through apheresis, as their plasma does not contain the antibodies that may cross react with recipient antigens. As such, AB is often considered the "universal donor" for plasma."
Sendaz
QUOTE (DeathStrobe @ Jul 22 2013, 01:47 PM) *
Your blood is backwards.

O type can give to anyone, universal donor
AB can accept anyone's Blood, universal receiver.

And there is also the problem of proteins, Which is why blood types have a plus and minus. Plus means you have the protein mark in your blood and only people with plus can accept your blood. The minus means you don't have the protein mark so you can give to anyone (assuming the blood types match, of course).

The rarest of all blood is O-, which I assume is technically already in the game as the quality O system from augmentation, which comes with the handy dandy bonus of being able to accept all bioware as delta grade. One of the other downsides to being O- is that you can only accept blood from other O- donors and no one else, and seeing how its really rare, you're pretty screwed. Also blood only has a shelf life of a few weeks, meaning you can't really store it up for emergencies. But, assuming medical technology has advanced in SR by a lot, I assume they have a synthetic O- blood for the purposes of hospitalization for the PCs.

Also, on the flip side, AB+ can accept anyone's blood on earth, with little to no problems, but can't give to anyone but other AB+ people.

I was (and possibly still am) making a game all about blood types and magic with a friend, so I researched all of this. It was very interesting stuff.

You are correct for Blood transfusion, however we did clearly state we are talking about Plasma, which does operate a bit differently from straight blood donations.

For plasma the banks actually prefer the AB Donor as their plasma does not contain the antibodies that may cross react with recipient antigens in the blood of the person receiving. This means AB is often considered the "universal donor" for plasma. Which is reflected in my table above.
DeathStrobe
QUOTE (Sendaz @ Jul 22 2013, 11:57 AM) *
You are correct for Blood transfusion, however we did clearly state we are talking about Plasma, which does operate a bit differently from straight blood donations.

For plasma the banks actually prefer the AB Donor as their plasma does not contain the antibodies that may cross react with recipient antigens in the blood of the person receiving. This means AB is often considered the "universal donor" for plasma. Which is reflected in my table above.

Ah. The more you know.
Sendaz
Of course this is presuming that all the metatypes have not added even further elements in play, though I have not seen anything to date about racial specific blood typing, except for dwarve's blood which always seem to contain a high amount of alcohol for some reason. wink.gif
Draco18s
QUOTE (Sendaz @ Jul 22 2013, 10:11 AM) *

You might like this fellow.
(I seriously can't find a better picture, much less a video showing off his fancy hand).

Admittedly he doesn't suck the blood out of people, but rather injects them with nanites to turn them into ranging monsters, but hey.
Sendaz
QUOTE (Draco18s @ Jul 22 2013, 04:16 PM) *
You might like this fellow.
(I seriously can't find a better picture, much less a video showing off his fancy hand).

Admittedly he doesn't suck the blood out of people, but rather injects them with nanites to turn them into ranging monsters, but hey.

So wait, he injects people and they suddenly get mad gun skills? awesome. nyahnyah.gif

Sign me up!

And yes, that is an awesome pic... may have to hijack it for the Lamprey Hardcore Line who like their metal as heavy metal.
Draco18s
QUOTE (Sendaz @ Jul 22 2013, 03:20 PM) *
So wait, he injects people and they suddenly get mad gun skills? awesome. nyahnyah.gif

Watch the show (Generator Rex).
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012