Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Scout/caser character.
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
last_of_the_great_mikeys
I designed a scout and location "caser" character. He's a mundane human designed to familiarize himself with an area and mark the locations of anything signifigant. Using Becks I gave him the nightvision and perceptive edges, but he's built around his cyber. He has the standard wired reflexes1 just 'cause he'll need to duke it out. However, his cyber systems are built around an orientation system/internal NAV Dat GPS system. Everything is linked through a router with the required number of ports. The list is as follows...

ORIENTATION SYSTEM/NAV DAT GPS

-Smartlink 2 with rangefinder

-Math SPU (for the stopwatch, alarm clock and chronometer functions) with jolt alert.

-Cybereyes with: protective eye covers, display link, flare compensation, electronic vision magnification 3, ultrasound vision with high frequency hearing discount

-Cyberears with: Dampener, hearing amplification, Select sound filter 5, spatial recognizer and high frequency hearing

-a datajack

-a knowsoft link

-a chipjack.

When I get more cash I intend to add a few hundred MP's of headwear memory. All the 'wear is alpha grade because reliability of his equipment is essential.

Now, when this is combined with his stealth skill of 5 and his intelligence of 5, I was curious what you muncher-crunchers out there believe he could do with all of this. The implications I see so far include:

-Whenever outside he has a complete understanding of his environment and can mark the locations of everyone/thing.

-Whenever inside the same to a slightly lesser effect (Roofs block satellites from the GPS).

-By feeding info from his datajack into a portable computer he could build 3 dimensional maps for others to use.

-With architectural blueprint chips in the datajack he could plot escape routes, points of entry, etc.

-with the proper emitters he could monitor the progression of teammates and give helpful suggestions through a transceiver/cellphone.

What else can you guys come up with? Surely I haven't exhausted the repertoire! Just so ya know, the cost of all this 'wear was a little under 400K nuyen assuming alphawear.
Berzerker
I'd go with a eye camera and ear recorder. Makes putting together reports of security much easier. Anyone who is involved in espionage should have access to at least an eye camera.
Garland
Are cybereyes and the Night Vision edge compatible? How?
Berzerker
I'd say you loose it. The cannon companion says:
This means human characters with this edge have the metahuman ability of low light vision.

Just like a metahuman looses lowlight vision with implants, so should the character with this edge.
Eyeless Blond
Extra-sensetive nerves perhaps?

(Edit): N/m
Lilt
I'd go with an Image link rather than that display link. The maps won't be accessible by a display link (which can only display textual info) or a knowsoft link/chipjack. It might be possible to convert the maps to knowsoft form, but most blueprints you find would need converted somehow and there are no real rules for that.

If you do have cybereyes then the natural low-light vision provided by the edge would go.
RangerJoe
I'd ditch the WR1. Yes, they come in handy in a fight, but they turn an otherwise potentially very street-legal character into someone who is going to at least upset a few cyberwear detectors.

Unless, of course, his usual cover is as "a bodyguard for VIP so and so, needing to assess security at a location. In such a case, wires make sense.
Rev
The cybereye laser range finder/laser microphone/laser comlink could be usefull, its rather a lot of essence though so you might not want it.

A second, concealed datajack could be usefull. Like an induction jack in your leg, or something so you could connect things to it while appearing unconnected.

I have always wanted to put an independant cybereye into a charachter. Maybe on the back of thier neck, or on thier hand someplace. smile.gif

Yea go for bioware and maybe boosted 1 instead of wired reflexes. Wired 1 just isn't worth it. The alternatives cost more money, but less bio index, are more concealable and have more beneficial side effects (eg synaptic accellerator 1 and or boosted 1, enhanced articulation, cerebral booster 2 maybe start with just one or two of these).

A good edge for such a charachter might be the blandness one, or some of the social ones.
Zazen
You should definitely get an opticam and ear recorder.

Laser microphones in your eye are a lot of fun too, but you won't have space if you get the opticam.
last_of_the_great_mikeys
I'd go with an Image link rather than that display link. The maps won't be accessible by a display link (which can only display textual info) or a knowsoft link/chipjack. It might be possible to convert the maps to knowsoft form, but most blueprints you find would need converted somehow and there are no real rules for that.

Image link, eh? Can do.

Yea go for bioware and maybe boosted 1 instead of wired reflexes. Wired 1 just isn't worth it. The alternatives cost more money, but less bio index, are more concealable and have more beneficial side effects (eg synaptic accellerator 1 and or boosted 1, enhanced articulation, cerebral booster 2 maybe start with just one or two of these).

Can't start with cultured biowear. He needs to be able to fight, too. I suppose I could go for boosted reflexes, too, but that's a permanent change.

I thought about the opticam, but decided to save the essence and just use the datajack to directly send all the sensory data into a portacomp or similar tool.

As for the Nightvision edge, it can be removed and replaced, I guess...maybe photographic memory...
Glyph
That's a good one, but for this type of character, a really appropriate Edge would be Blandness.

By the way, since you already has a knowsoft link, you don't really need a chipjack. If you want to have a free datajack when slotting a knowsoft, it would probably be better to get another datajack instead of a chipjack. That way, if you're not slotting a knowsoft at the moment, you have two functional datajacks to keep your options open, instead of one jack that is only good for softs.
Eyeless Blond
QUOTE (last_of_the_great_mikeys)
I thought about the opticam, but decided to save the essence and just use the datajack to directly send all the sensory data into a portacomp or similar tool.

Do you have a simrig? That's the only way I can think of for recording sensory data.
tisoz
QUOTE (Berserker)
I'd say you loose it. The cannon companion says:

This means human characters with this edge have the metahuman ability of low light vision.

Just like a metahuman looses lowlight vision with implants, so should the character with this edge.

It doesn't say the character was born with it. He could have had it develop as a side affect of having cybereye modifications. The Part about comparing it to metahumans is so that everyone can see the visibility modifiers are for natural - not cybernetic.
Siege
I have to admit, that's an interesting spin Tisoz, but I've always understood it to mean the ability is tied to the meat eyes -- if the meat eyes go, so does the inherent ability embedded in the eye(s).

Some interesting ideas to consider for the character:

Spatial recognition, SSF, amp/damp

GPS + Orientation system (did you have this already?)

*Combining the GPS/OS together gives some scary ideas. If you convince your crew to wear coded transponders, you can become a walking tactical advisor -- you'd have a map with real-time locations of all your people to coordinate information. You might have to link to a multi-channel transceiver, but the potential is there. Even better if you can use the sec guards' radios to fix their positions...

Ditto the lowlight/thermo enhancements

-Siege
shadd4d
Taking that to a further extreme, I see BattleTac in your future.

You could do tactical support then, and using small-units tactics to really mess up a corpsec's day. This doesn't have to be lethal, mind you, but it really makes a runner team a lot better.

Heck if you can position the corpers with theri own radio signals (they are recieving, so you could pinpoint them) then you've got a great advantage. Get your mates to have snake-eyes or other Battletac stuff and you're getting some decent bonus dice.

This hinges, however, on convincing them to carry transponder chips. Good luck on that one (Wear this transponder chip. Heck no. Then wear this set of cuff-links. Okay).

Don
last_of_the_great_mikeys
Spatial recognition, SSF, amp/damp

GPS + Orientation system (did you have this already?)

-Cyberears with: Dampener, hearing amplification, Select sound filter 5, spatial recognizer and high frequency hearing

By the way, since you already has a knowsoft link, you don't really need a chipjack. If you want to have a free datajack when slotting a knowsoft, it would probably be better to get another datajack instead of a chipjack. That way, if you're not slotting a knowsoft at the moment, you have two functional datajacks to keep your options open, instead of one jack that is only good for softs.

The knowsoft link is there for future concerns. I intend to have some headwear memory installed.

Do you have a simrig? That's the only way I can think of for recording sensory data.

Not yet. Need more cash first.

*Combining the GPS/OS together gives some scary ideas. If you convince your crew to wear coded transponders, you can become a walking tactical advisor -- you'd have a map with real-time locations of all your people to coordinate information. You might have to link to a multi-channel transceiver, but the potential is there. Even better if you can use the sec guards' radios to fix their positions...

Hmmm...if I got a safe targeting system installed and they all wore the ID thingees for that, would those do if the cyber linked through a router (like the one my smartlink 2 allready has)?
LRDocwagon
IIRC doesn't city electronic noise drown out weakly satelite signals and make GPS just so much silicon in the cities?

just my 2 nuyen
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012