Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Jane Foster
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Tashiro
I'm certain I remember reading someplace that Jane Foster had some new metamagic techniques, but I don't know which book it's in. Can someone enlighten me? Much appreciated!
Freya
Here you go, from Storm Front:

Metamagics: Geomancy, masking, extended masking, shielding, Wheel 1, Sacrifice, Sacrifice 2, Flexible Signature
Wheel 1: Jane adds her Initiate Grade to Social tests requiring empathy.
Sacrifice 2: This technique allows the use of Sacrifice on oneself or a willing victim without creating a background count.

Add in the usual disclaimer that Wheel 1 and Sacrifice 2 are "unique"/suitably rare.

Edit: Hrm. Storm Front lists her initiate grade as 11 but only includes 8 metamagics for her. Could've sworn the stats were copied from a different book, too, but I can't actually find them in any of the Artifacts books.
SpellBinder
From Artifacts Unbound: Geomancy, masking, extended masking, shielding, Wheel 1, Sacrifice, Sacrifice 2, Flexible Signature

Wheel 1:Understanding. Jane adds her Initiate Grade to Social tests requiring empathy.

Sacrifice 2:This technique allows the use of sacrifice on oneself or a willing victim without creating a background count.
Freya
QUOTE (SpellBinder @ Jul 22 2013, 08:35 PM) *
From Artifacts Unbound:

That would be the one I didn't check. nyahnyah.gif
Tashiro
Ah, thank you very much. My group has interaction with a free blood spirit. A metaplanar quest was performed to 'de-toxify' the spirit (with the suitably harrowing events associated with such a thing). Now, one of the players is learning sacrificing metamagics from it, after learning there were some forms of blood magic which doesn't do horrible things.
CanRay
Contacts: Harlequin and JackPoint? No, that'd be something different. nyahnyah.gif
Tashiro
One thing I want to see in 5th Edition at some point - the Wheel laid out in detail (much as they did with the Tir book). I can do most of the conversion myself, but I'd like to see it done. The thing is, as a game master, I'd love to see the deeper secrets given some crunch, in something other than adventure paths or secondary books. Like, the Grimoire / Street Magic can deal with a bunch of stuff for players, then have a GM section with some other things (we already see toxics, bug spirits, and such so why not 'higher magics / dragon magics'...?)
Freya
QUOTE (Tashiro @ Jul 22 2013, 09:53 PM) *
The thing is, as a game master, I'd love to see the deeper secrets given some crunch, in something other than adventure paths or secondary books. Like, the Grimoire / Street Magic can deal with a bunch of stuff for players, then have a GM section with some other things (we already see toxics, bug spirits, and such so why not 'higher magics / dragon magics'...?)

I can already see Bull having an aneurysm over this. grinbig.gif

More seriously, I think the answer could be any combination of "we don't want to lose the mystique of some of the most powerful entities in the setting" (even though they've already statted out Hestaby, Lofwyr and Harlequin, to name a few), "we don't want to limit ourselves later on by spelling out exactly what these abilities can and can't do", "we frankly don't know everything they do because we've never had reason to sit down and write it all out", "it's not going to matter anyway if the players can't access it because it's draconic magic", and "we don't want a writer to spend a bunch of time on something with that narrow an application".

Just to be clear, I don't mean that as a criticism of your wanting to see that stuff. I'd be curious myself if they ever did release it. On the other hand, if it's that important to your game, it might be a bit faster to write it up yourself instead of waiting for them to do it. wink.gif
SpellBinder
Some secrets might be better off left to individual GMs. For a friend, a nail in the coffin for SR4 was finding out that Harlequin was statted out...
Tanegar
When I read the title of this thread, I thought it was about Natalie Portman's character in Thor. Cross-pollinating nerdery, ho!
toturi
QUOTE (Tanegar @ Jul 23 2013, 03:30 PM) *
When I read the title of this thread, I thought it was about Natalie Portman's character in Thor. Cross-pollinating nerdery, ho!

Actually I kept mentally adding elf ears on Jane Foster whenever she appears in a panel in the comics. "Just cast the heal spell already, damnit!"
toturi
QUOTE (CanRay @ Jul 23 2013, 11:26 AM) *
Contacts: Harlequin and JackPoint? No, that'd be something different. nyahnyah.gif

Now that Hestaby is no longer a Great Dragon... Well, well, vegm.gif (I wish there was a Very Evil Player smilie).
Grinder
QUOTE (SpellBinder @ Jul 23 2013, 06:45 AM) *
Some secrets might be better off left to individual GMs. For a friend, a nail in the coffin for SR4 was finding out that Harlequin was statted out...

Statting out major NPCs - some will hate it, some will love it. wink.gif
Grinder
QUOTE (Freya @ Jul 23 2013, 06:29 AM) *
I can already see Bull having an aneurysm over this. grinbig.gif

Thankfully, there are others who might step in.
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (toturi @ Jul 23 2013, 02:25 AM) *
Now that Hestaby is no longer a Great Dragon... Well, well, vegm.gif (I wish there was a Very Evil Player smilie).

And how, exactly, is Hestaby NOT still a great? Even if she IS on the outs with the rest of the Dragon Concalve.
Tashiro
The thing is, I prefer a minimum of secrets for the GM. I like to know what the canon on things are when I run games, and when I'm a player, I hate it when the GM makes something up for an NPC and doesn't have a solid mechanic for it. I don't want to write up reams of house rules for what NPCs can do.

Not too long ago, the PCs learned that an NPC has an advanced metamagic technique to 'free' other people's spirits. Not 'banish', but 'Free'. This is something I've statting out. if a GM had said 'this is a thing', but hand-waved the mechanics saying 'this is just something that NPC can do', I'd be annoyed. If the GM has it codified, so that it's a 'thing', then I'm more accepting of it, because it's technically set in stone for how it works, and I know the GM's thought out the mechanics.

But the more that the company puts down on paper, the less work I have to do for when I'm peeling back the layers of the setting to give the PCs a glimpse, and as a player, I'm happier because I know the mechanics are pinned down, and there's less hand-waving.

Just my particular hang-up.
Bigity
QUOTE (Tymeaus Jalynsfein @ Jul 23 2013, 07:47 AM) *
And how, exactly, is Hestaby NOT still a great? Even if she IS on the outs with the rest of the Dragon Concalve.

Yes, my reaction to that post was 'What?'.

Great dragons are a race (or subtype of a race at least). It isn't a title.
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (Bigity @ Jul 23 2013, 08:56 AM) *
Yes, my reaction to that post was 'What?'.

Great dragons are a race (or subtype of a race at least). It isn't a title.

Maybe her Wireless "Great Dragon" Bonus got bricked.
Freya
QUOTE (Tymeaus Jalynsfein @ Jul 23 2013, 09:03 AM) *

You're never going to let this wireless thing go, are you? grinbig.gif
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (Freya @ Jul 23 2013, 09:04 AM) *
You're never going to let this wireless thing go, are you? grinbig.gif

Hey, it is now Canon... Can't let it go... Just have to embrace it. wobble.gif
CanRay
QUOTE (Tymeaus Jalynsfein @ Jul 23 2013, 10:03 AM) *
Considering that Dunkie was one of those Wireless Bonuses (Provided by his cell phone), he got bricked quite badly!

DUNKIE DIED FOR OUR SINS!!! nyahnyah.gif
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (CanRay @ Jul 23 2013, 09:50 AM) *
Considering that Dunkie was one of those Wireless Bonuses (Provided by his cell phone), he got bricked quite badly!

DUNKIE DIED FOR OUR SINS!!! nyahnyah.gif

ALl HAIL the Great and Powewrful Dunkie!!!! wobble.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012