Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: IntroRun
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Epicedion
I'm trying to put together a good run to re-introduce the Shadowrun world at large, in the updated scene of SR5. Food Fight is a nice little shakedown of the system, but it's not very long and doesn't fold in a lot of the base elements of the game world.

My thinking so far is this: the PCs are hired by a Mr Johnson who wants them to investigate and clear a facility that the hiring corp was building/refurbishing in an old brownstone sort of Barrens-adjacent. It's a classified location, the corp doesn't want to use their own security forces, so this is an off-the-books sort of thing.

The hiring corporation had a team of contractors installing the new security systems, but they lost contact with that team two days ago. The cause is unknown, but they suspect that a nearby Barrens gang must've taken notice and launched an attack.

My ultimate premise is that the contractors were able to install most of the basic security, but never got a chance to get the host online. That way there might be locks, cameras, sensors, drones, etc, all acting independently. Enough for the decker to get his feet wet, but without having to deal with full on Matrix security.

My question is, what all can I reasonably load into this run? I had some thoughts:

1) A street gang took over part of the facility, but have been kept out of certain areas by automatic defenses (drones, automatic turrets?). Since there's no full connectivity, these hot spots are limited to a few key locations. Security measures are haphazard and unfinished -- there could be a room that's coated in wi-fi absorbent paint, with auto-locking door locks already installed on the outside but no mechanism to unlock/open the doors from the inside, yet.

2) Some sixth-world threats may be in the facility. Maybe the street gang has a shaman, maybe they've tamed a hell hound or barghest. Devil rats could be scavenging dead bodies in some of the corridors.

3) A pack of ghouls could have infiltrated through the sewers, since the contractors were never able to finish with security, and some of the lower floors could be infested, with the unsecured ventilation system providing access to other parts of the building.

4) Other weirdness?

I'm going for weird and ugly. Not haunted house frightening, but definitely rather grim.

Suggestions?
CanRay
I suggest the BeerRun. Before the Johnson can show up for the meet, the barkeep announces that the bar has run dry, and anyone who can get a shipment past the gangs can drink on the house tonight. biggrin.gif
Freya
QUOTE (CanRay @ Jul 22 2013, 10:25 PM) *
I suggest the BeerRun. Before the Johnson can show up for the meet, the barkeep announces that the bar has run dry, and anyone who can get a shipment past the gangs can drink on the house tonight. biggrin.gif

Seconded. Really, you could do worse than making this the main objective and using some of your suggested scenarios as roadblocks.
Umidori
QUOTE (CanRay @ Jul 22 2013, 10:25 PM) *

Problem.

What do you do when the players just go to the pickup point for the shipment, crack it open, and drink it there without even trying to get it past the gangs and to the bar? I mean, yeah, okay they ripped off the barkeep and he'll be mighty pissed, might even make it known that this happened, but if you're gonna rip off the barkeep anyway, why stop there? Just go back to see him, put a gun in his face and tell him to make sure he doesn't spill his guts, otherwise you'll spill his guts. He should just write off the shipment then and there, no worse than if the gangers had intercepted it, right?

~Umi
FuelDrop
QUOTE (Umidori @ Jul 23 2013, 03:48 PM) *
Problem.

What do you do when the players just go to the pickup point for the shipment, crack it open, and drink it there without even trying to get it past the gangs and to the bar? I mean, yeah, okay they ripped off the barkeep and he'll be mighty pissed, might even make it known that this happened, but if you're gonna rip off the barkeep anyway, why stop there? Just go back to see him, put a gun in his face and tell him to make sure he doesn't spill his guts, otherwise you'll spill his guts. He should just write off the shipment then and there, no worse than if the gangers had intercepted it, right?

~Umi

Everyone in the bar simultaneously pulls out a gun and points it at the PCs, who suddenly realize that they're not the only runners that hang out here. And all those other runners are very thirsty...
Sendaz
QUOTE (Umidori @ Jul 23 2013, 03:48 AM) *
Problem.

~Umi

Because then they lose Rep.

Sure the barkeep might not say anything if he was later coerced to stay shut on the subject, and nobody else may know the runners drank the booze, but if there was anyone else at the bar waiting for that beer shipment they will assume the runners dropped the ball on a milkrun (ok, beer run but still) and word of that would be more damaging than admitting they looted the booze themselves. Better to be evil than incompetent.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012