Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: SR5 Chargen - Lucky human streetsams
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Oracle
Do I miss something, or do human characters who are neither magic users nor technomancers now - thanks to the priority system - have an effective minimum edge score of 5? spin.gif
DWC
That is correct. And it's pretty neat.
FuelDrop
Cos we're human, and therefore badass.
It's a neat package.
Sendaz
Think of it as their untapped potential showing through. Not enough to express itself as magic or resonance, but still enough to twist fate a bit.

The other races already used some of theirs in expressing their metatype, the baseline human thus has the most potential remaining.
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
It kind of clashes with my general preference for Edge 2-3 Humans, though. frown.gif
Of course, I generally do not put a lot of points in Edge, Waste of an Attribute if you ask me. smile.gif
Mäx
It would be kinda nice if there was something else mundanes could also spend special attribute points then edge, so that not every mundane human would have to start with 5 edge.
Oracle
And another thing I seriously dislike about the priority-based character generation system. It is just so limiting to your choices.
Redjack
I would have much rather seen edge tied to karma levels/experience and Karma Pools were in the past. That is a change I hoped for.
SpellBinder
QUOTE (Oracle @ Jul 24 2013, 07:32 AM) *
And another thing I seriously dislike about the priority-based character generation system. It is just so limiting to your choices.
Point of the priority system is supposed to be easy on brand new players to make characters. For experienced hands, like the majority of us here, it will seem very constraining.

Personally I can't wait for a splat book with alternative methods of character generation.
Oracle
QUOTE (SpellBinder @ Jul 24 2013, 06:15 PM) *
Point of the priority system is supposed to be easy on brand new players to make characters.

Well, and in my opinion the point based system is much easier to understand. To create a character with the priority system you need to know in advance where exactly you want to go. It is much more difficult to correct mistakes in earlier decisions than in the point based character creation.

And if that wasn't enough, they included a second mandatory character creation process: The 25 karma points you get. rotfl.gif
ElFenrir
See, I love this particular Prio system. I can make a lot of different character types with it, and I like the bonus karma method of giving you some extra stuff to spend. Some characters I've made by this RAW I could have never made under the old 400 BP system(before we houseruled it.) That being said, it wasn't the BP system i was against as much as the rules that went with it(I don't mind limiting one attribute to max, but we hated the expensive last point, so we canned that, and we upped how much you could spend on them to 240.)

Now, at the end of the day, karmgen has always been my favorite. But I dunno, I have to say Priority systems don't bother me as much as others. It could be that I've ended up 'lucky' with my concepts that they've all managed to fall into priority systems rather easily. If I ended up with ideas that always ended up difficult under prio, one way or the other, I might feel differently about them.
Jack VII
It's a little weird, but I think it is far superior to 1E/2E where if I was playing a mundane human, I got dick for my last two priorities.
RHat
QUOTE (Oracle @ Jul 24 2013, 12:06 PM) *
Well, and in my opinion the point based system is much easier to understand. To create a character with the priority system you need to know in advance where exactly you want to go.

Not really. In systems like this, you can simply decide on a Thing - an aspect of your character that most defines them. If that Thing is, for example, augmentation, you go for top Resources. If it's technical ability, you go for Skills.
Elfenlied
QUOTE (RHat @ Jul 28 2013, 10:27 AM) *
Not really. In systems like this, you can simply decide on a Thing - an aspect of your character that most defines them. If that Thing is, for example, augmentation, you go for top Resources. If it's technical ability, you go for Skills.

True. Building characters has pretty much been a no-brainer in 5e. To give a couple of examples:
Elven Mage:
A Magic
B Attributes
C Metatype (swap with Skills if you prefer Human)
D Resources
E Skills

Human Streetsam:
A Resources
B Attributes
C Skills
D Metatype
E Magic

Ork Decker:
A Resources
B Skills
C Metatype
D Attributes
E Magic

The only question that really boggles me when building is: "How much Edge do I need/want?" Everthing else is pretty set in stone... Magic users typically want Magic A/B (unless they are Adepts), Deckers/Streetsams/Riggers want Resources A/B (C might be doable, but you're really strapped for cash and better have a good idea what you're doing).
ElFenrir
Sams can work with Resources C. I took an Elven Sam(Race D, Attributes A, Skills B, Resources C), and he's pretty beastly. He can do a lot of stuff at high levels(Skills B is pretty great), his base high Attributes help, and once I grabbed Aluminum Bone Lacing, cybereyes with a setup, Muscle Replacement 2 and Wired 1 Alpha, he's got 1 essence to spare and gets the basic +2 Agility and Strength(both are 8 ), +2 Armor, +2 Damage resist(with a base body 5), +2 Unarmed Combat damage(with knucks for another bonus), and then +1d6 initiative and another Reaction. It's a pretty solid, standard and cheap loadout, though it's very minimal(and I did have to blow 10 karma toward an extra 20,000 nuyen.) (and 9+2d6 initative means that, barring negative modifiers, you're guaranteed a second pass and can possibly get a 3rd. Initiative isn't *quite* as vital to Get to the Max, I notice, these days as it was in SR4.)

Now, for a more classic 'They have lots of different cybersystems like spurs and cyberears and an air tank and dermal plating and higher reflexes and other stuff', yeah, take the A.
Shortstraw
QUOTE (Tymeaus Jalynsfein @ Jul 24 2013, 11:18 PM) *
It kind of clashes with my general preference for Edge 2-3 Humans, though. frown.gif
Of course, I generally do not put a lot of points in Edge, Waste of an Attribute if you ask me. smile.gif

Get your GM to let you spend your negative quality points on reducing your edge.
Mäx
Allowing one to exchange special attribute points for chargen karma actually doesn't sound half bad.
Slide
Magic? Cyber? all you need is high attributes and 7 edge.
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (Slide @ Jul 28 2013, 01:03 PM) *
Magic? Cyber? all you need is high attributes and 7 edge.

Which is a Magic all its own.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012