Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: GM Posts His Method
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Moves
Howdy all.

Last fall, I was looking for a way to get started GMing a game with my first running crew, who lives about 600 miles away from me. While there were a ton of tools out there, I had trouble finding a common-sense synthesis of all the ways different online tools can work together.

So I put this summary together on my Tumblr. It covers quick summaries of how I use Google Earth, Autodesk Homestyler, MapTools, and TokenTool to run my game.

GM Workshop: Free Internet Tool Summary

As a side note, my game's been alive and kicking since October 2012. If you count attendance as a measure of success, it's really worked out.

If you count player survivability... not so much.

Cheers!
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (Moves @ Jul 26 2013, 07:40 AM) *
As a side note, my game's been alive and kicking since October 2012. If you count attendance as a measure of success, it's really worked out.

If you count player survivability... not so much.

Cheers!

Your games are so harsh that you actually have Players that don't survive it? WOW!!! I have heard of Killer GM's before but you, sir, take the prize.
wobble.gif
Sendaz
In Russia, Rice Roll YOU!
thorya
QUOTE (Tymeaus Jalynsfein @ Jul 26 2013, 09:48 AM) *
Your games are so harsh that you actually have Players that don't survive it? WOW!!! I have heard of Killer GM's before but you, sir, take the prize.
wobble.gif

Everyone at my table remembers the tragic events of the Doritos Incident of '02. Keith and Ryan were dearly missed. But they would have wanted us to keep playing without them.

Then there was the dice choking that nearly took Wesley from us. Table top games are more dangerous than you might think.
Moves
QUOTE (Tymeaus Jalynsfein @ Jul 26 2013, 02:48 PM) *
wobble.gif

I've found that after you kill that first player, the amount of whining about hacked cyberware drops drastically.
cndblank
Thanks!
Wailer
Very nice, moves! Thanks! Any chance you could tack on a viewable example of your minutes/notes?

- Wailer
Moves
QUOTE (Wailer @ Jul 26 2013, 06:57 PM) *
Very nice, moves! Thanks! Any chance you could tack on a viewable example of your minutes/notes?

- Wailer

You're welcome, Wailer!

Here's a link to a google doc of my minutes. I think you'll be able to download it and monkey with it in Open Office or MS Word.

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B_VrRM7RRg1...dit?usp=sharing

Cheers!
Freya
Thanks you, moves, this is all very helpful. I normally run my games off IRC but might look into switching with this info in mind.

QUOTE (Sendaz @ Jul 26 2013, 09:55 AM) *
In Russia, Rice Roll YOU!

Rice? You must be thinking Communist China. nyahnyah.gif
Supine
I'll probably end up using some of this stuff, for sure. Are there any specific resources any of you use to find floorplans? I feel like Google isn't helping me as much as I'd like.
Moves
QUOTE (Supine @ Jul 27 2013, 04:36 AM) *
I'll probably end up using some of this stuff, for sure. Are there any specific resources any of you use to find floorplans? I feel like Google isn't helping me as much as I'd like.

Google Image Search almost always works for me. The key words "floor plan" tend to give me the best results.

Granted, I'm looking at restaurants, nightclubs, apartments, and offices mostly.

What kinds of interiors are you having trouble finding?
Supine
Something I can use as a laboratory, and large office complexes are the ones I can't seem to find.
Moves
QUOTE (Supine @ Jul 27 2013, 07:23 PM) *
Something I can use as a laboratory, and large office complexes are the ones I can't seem to find.

Hm, I found a ton of stuff doing a "laboratory floor plan" and "office floor plan" image search on google.

Is there something about these images that don't work for you? Are they missing something or adding too much of something?

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012