Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: SR3 to SR5
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
LordHaHa
Hey all. I see that SR5 is just entering onto the market right now, and I wanted to float out a question regarding the general direction the new edition has taken rules-wise and how it compares to SR3. To the best of my knowledge it seemed like it is largely based off of the SR4 system and it probably still is, but in the main SR5 thread towards the most recent posts I saw a Damage Code of 6S(e) or some thing to that effect mentioned, which certainly reminds me of old money SR (SR3 and older).

Most of my experience in SR is with the old system. I did get the core books for SR4, and while I liked some of the changes, I moved out of my old area and haven't had a group to run with since then. So with no other players, not much of a reason to buy hardcopies or PDFs so I slacked off the last 5 years or so. So while that system has been revealed to me, I've never gotten an opportunity to use it.

But now Shadowrun Returns has come out, and I've been bitten by the bug again. Thank you Harebrained!

So as someone who was VERY familiar with SR1-3 and somewhat familiar with SR4, and have an interest in seeing the "latest and greatest", what should I expect from SR3 -> SR5 and for that matter SR4 -> SR5? Or is SR3 -> SR5 like SR3 -> SR4 where it is so different that it's almost apples and oranges? I'm guess I am wondering if any of the old money is back in style (like is the old Damage Code or something like it back, what's the state of Decking as opposed to wireless Hacking, etc.).

LordHaHa
Stahlseele
The Damage Code 6S(e) means 6 Stun (electric) NOT 6 Serious (electric)
Initiative in SR5 works like in SR3.
The Surprise Rules haven't been changed since 1st Ed
Deckers and Riggers are back in SR5 as they were in SR3. Vehicle Rules still suck.
SR5 specially on low power is more magic run than SR was ever before.
LordHaHa
QUOTE (Stahlseele @ Jul 31 2013, 05:59 PM) *
The Damage Code 6S(e) means 6 Stun (electric) NOT 6 Serious (electric)
Initiative in SR5 works like in SR3.
The Surprise Rules haven't been changed since 1st Ed
Deckers and Riggers are back in SR5 as they were in SR3. Vehicle Rules still suck.
SR5 specially on low power is more magic run than SR was ever before.

Quick reply, thanks!

Ah. I forgot about "(P)hysical" and "(S)tun" damage from SR4. What I meant by "sort of familiar with SR4" was "read the SR4 core books a couple of times half a decade ago and then found out noone near me played PnP RPGs so I gave up". So yeah, that's new money damage.

Vehicle Rules have always sucked. I know even up until the last SR3 sourcebook they hadn't implemented chaff (and flares as well, I believe) as a countermeasure system for use in aerial combat despite having panzers and fixed-wing aircraft documented in the many expansions to vehicles released for the system over 15 years or so.

LordHaHa
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012