Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: SRR Denver 2054
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
DeathStrobe
I'm thinking about making a Denver mod for Shadowrun Returns.

I have the Sixth World Almanac, which does not seem to be helping me for 2054. I was thinking about getting a copy of Denver City of Shadows, but I can't seem to find it anywhere. I might order one of those very expensive used ones off Amazon...

Anyway, what are some good plot hooks I can dig in to the Mile High City?

I want the Matrix to play a big part, and seeing how the Denver Data Haven isn't too far away...in Colorado Springs...which makes me wonder why its called the Denver Data Haven... But that does sound like it'd make for a good centerpiece to focus the campaign around, and be able to incorporate a lot of Matrix runs.

I know I don't have to worry about Ghostwalker yet. Dunkelzahn is going to be running for President soon. The Utes are still around and have a chunk of Denver, but I don't actually know anything about the Ute Nation. Aztlan is still around, and probably causing mischief like they like to do.

Where would be a good place to start? Aurora Warrens? It sounds like a good place for a lot of sinless and social outcasts. Dealing with the ghoul gangs from the Aurora Mall sounds like a good plot hook too.

I'd also like charisma and etiquette to actually be useful, so what kind of societies can be found in Denver?

I'm not sure how big or open I want this to be just yet. But I think I'll aim to try and make the difficulty balanced around the karma level player's are after Dead Man's Switch.

So any ideas or info on the 2054 Front Range Free Zone?
lokii
QUOTE (DeathStrobe @ Aug 1 2013, 03:33 AM) *
I have the Sixth World Almanac, which does not seem to be helping me for 2054. I was thinking about getting a copy of Denver City of Shadows, but I can't seem to find it anywhere. I might order one of those very expensive used ones off Amazon...
You might want to get Shadows of North America instead. That is much easier to find:

http://rpg.drivethrustuff.com/product/3321

A number of caveats though. It is set almost 10 years after your target time frame in 2062 and the changes because of the return of Ghostwalker have already happened. It also has much less info about Denver. Only something like 12 pages plus Game Info. On the other hand SoNA is a good book and there is a lot of information on other places too. If you want to have a first look, there is a freely available German fan translation of SoNA that got official blessing (from page 31):

http://sr3mirror.shadowland-system.de/Nord...en_Schatten.pdf

Spy Games of course has a lot more content on Denver, but is set mid-2070s.

Finally there is Missions Season 2. Those are set in Denver, beginning of the 2070s, and free. I think they could be fairly useful as they are adventures and have plots, descriptions of places, NPCs etc:

http://www.shadowruntabletop.com/missions/...loads-season-2/

I guess with all of this the trick is to separate the old status quo from more recent events.

I want the Matrix to play a big part, and seeing how the Denver Data Haven isn't too far away...in Colorado Springs...which makes me wonder why its called the Denver Data Haven...
The whole Front Range Free Zone is referred to as Denver. So it's in Denver.

Dunkelzahn is going to be running for President soon.
Well, three years away and before 2056 he is not even a citizen of the UCAS. (Nobody sees it coming, is what I want to say.)

The Utes are still around and have a chunk of Denver, but I don't actually know anything about the Ute Nation.
That's also in SoNA. wink.gif
SpellBinder
There is also the "Denver - City Of Shadows" that is set in the 2055's, based on character comment posts in the material. Might be a very good source of info, if you can find a copy...
lokii
QUOTE (SpellBinder @ Aug 1 2013, 07:33 AM) *
There is also the "Denver - City Of Shadows" that is set in the 2055's, based on character comment posts in the material. Might be a very good source of info, if you can find a copy...
It is the best source without any doubt. But DeathStrobe has already considered it, therefore my more economical suggestions.
SpellBinder
QUOTE (lokii @ Jul 31 2013, 11:41 PM) *
It is the best source without any doubt. But DeathStrobe has already considered it, therefore my more economical suggestions.
Sorry, guess I missed that part when I scanned the OP.
DeathStrobe
So I want the game to mostly surround the Denver Data Haven.

What kind of Matrix threats are available in 2054?

Are there Otaku yet; and more importantly are there Dissonance Otaku?

Where is the AI Mirage/Psychotrope at this point in the timeline?

Are there any hacker groups with enough influence to be a threat to the DDH? Or should I just fall back on the tried and true Mega Corps are evil for the big villain?
Bigity
I want to say the Otaku rules were 2055 in game.

Morgan started to become AI I guess in 2050? Whenever the original trilogy of novels took place.

Psychotrope shut down the Seattle RTG in 2060, so I'd think in 2054 it was either still shut down or was not active.

BTW, thanks - thinking about all that has got me pissed off again that they are trying to say Dodger is now a technomancer.
lokii
QUOTE (DeathStrobe @ Aug 4 2013, 02:03 AM) *
So I want the game to mostly surround the Denver Data Haven.

[..]

Are there Otaku yet; and more importantly are there Dissonance Otaku?
Lucky coincidence then, because the otaku were first mentioned in Denver: City of Shadows as a group of tech wiz children living within the Nexus community.

But no dissonance otaku yet. The schism occurs years later in the 2060s after the end of the arcology crisis in Seattle (in fact in response to this event).

What kind of Matrix threats are available in 2054?
Halberstam's babies (from Threats) and Alice (Target: Matrix) are the main ones before the AIs and Otaku are around. There is more mundane stuff like matrix gangs (rival otaku tribe?), corp infiltrators or cyber assassins. But you could also just invent something. You don't even need an actual explanation behind it. There has always been rumors about ghosts in the machine. Plus see below for SKs.

Where is the AI Mirage/Psychotrope at this point in the timeline?
Mirage doesn't come into existence before the corp war at the end of the 2050s. So there is really only Morgan as Deus cannot start to develop before they capture Morgan in 2058.

But there is an alternative: Semi-autonomous Knowbots (SK) are state of the art in the mid-2050s. Expert systems that can make decisions more or less independently. They were regarded as one possible avenue towards true artificial intelligence. I think they could be portrayed as having a rudimentary intelligence, maybe with a bit more choppy speech. SKs need a lot of processing power, that's why usually only corps and other powerful actors can afford to run them.

Are there any hacker groups with enough influence to be a threat to the DDH? Or should I just fall back on the tried and true Mega Corps are evil for the big villain?
Gotta pass on the hacker groups, I just don't remember. But you could also have an insider threat. Someone in the community working against it. Or how about a rogue SK infesting the Nexus to satisfy its computing needs. The corp wants its toy back, the Nexus deckers are split on just getting it out or decompiling it for its secrets and in between some otaku go crazy because they think it is a heavenly messenger from god?

One more thing, mid-2050s there are also ultra-violet hosts and the Denver Data Haven was one of the places that could support one.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012