Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Noob questions on Adepts and Magical Healing
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Lusis
1. Can physical Adepts upgrade their abilities via Karma in-game? Or are they stuck with what they have ability-wise? The 5E rulebook seems unclear on this.

2. A character concept I came up with was of a Adept Shadowrunner that pissed-off the wrong people so, "they went medieval on his ass with a pair of pliers and a blowtorch", then cut his arms and legs off with a chainsaw. Luckily, his buddies found him just in time thanks to a high Will to Live. After a lengthy recovery, some good contacts, and a drained credstick, he's back on the street with some alphaware and reduced magical ability.

So, does any 4e sourcebook discuss long-term magical heath care? I mean can they grow limbs back magically? If this really happened, would Bubba be forced to take cyberware if he expected to get vertical and look for some payback, or would he be a dumbass?

SpellBinder
1. Spend karma to improve your Magic Attribute; you'll get a Power Point to improve your powers. If you're already at Magic 6, then you'll need to Initiate first, which costs more karma but you can get a free Power Point for your metamagic feat.

Grow limbs back by magic? Maybe by the Regeneration power. Augmentation does have info on having a limb cloned for implantation; costs no Essence IIRC, but can run into the six-digit figure range if you're a quadriplegic by dismemberment. Also info on the more serious & grievous of wounds beyond the "you take five boxes of Physical damage" game play.
Lusis
Thanks. I assume that the Karma cost of raising the Magic are the same as any other attribute? And it is possible to, over time, raise Magic above 6? How does that work with Awakened with reduced essence?

I'll assume that Bubba had his 'ware installed because of cost.

Also, do cyberlimbs do Stun or Physical damage?
Lusis
Doh! Seems my question above is answered on pg 456 of the rulebook.

A couple more questions though:

1. When does it stop being a low arm, and become a full arm, i.e above or below the elbow?

2. What does the canon say on the possibility of using cyberware as a Qi Foci?
SpellBinder
An awakened character's maximum Magic is 6 + Initiation Grade - Essence loss from implants (round down).

1. At or just above the elbow I think qualifies as a Lower Arm implant. Think Edward Elric of Full Metal Alchemist for a full arm, or thereabouts.

2. Nothing as far as I know, but I'd wager it'd be like for other foci in past editions. Once it's implanted it can't be enchanted, but a part can be enchanted before implantation (like the blade of a cyber spur being a weapon focus, but not the rest of the implant).
Jhaiisiin
The way I always remembered cyberparts was this:
Cyberhand = from hand to or including wrist
Lower arm = from hand to or including elbow joint
Full arm = From hand to or including shoulder joint.

Though admittedly, stopping before the shoulder is dumb. So much more anchoring you can do once you just take that flesh out.
Lusis
QUOTE (Jhaiisiin @ Aug 4 2013, 10:01 PM) *
Though admittedly, stopping before the shoulder is dumb. So much more anchoring you can do once you just take that flesh out.

Eh, maybe, maybe not. The shoulder is complex considering it really consists of the joint, shoulder blade, collarbone, pectorals, trapezoids, lateral muscles, etc. The cost realistically should skyrocket more than an extra 5000 nuyen.gif once that's involved.
Jhaiisiin
True, but you still have a lot more places to anchor that arm to when you include the shoulder. Otherwise you're just using the end of the humerus and that's it.
Lusis
QUOTE (SpellBinder @ Aug 4 2013, 08:23 PM) *
2. Nothing as far as I know, but I'd wager it'd be like for other foci in past editions. Once it's implanted it can't be enchanted, but a part can be enchanted before implantation (like the blade of a cyber spur being a weapon focus, but not the rest of the implant).

Thanks. I was thinking that it would be cool to inscribe the arms with glowy foci (ala tattoos) to give something like Missile Mastery or Penetrating Strike., or Traceless Walk for the legs.
IMO, full arms are really only an option for this character if he can score deltaware.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012