Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: SR5 Spells: Extended Area
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Eratosthenes
I couldn't seem to find it in the Magic section. Several Detection spells have an area of Extended Area, but I didn't see any reference to how big that was. I saw that normal area is F in meters.

Help?
RHat
Standard is Force x Magic Meters, Extended is Force x Magic x 10.
SpellBinder
Page 285, in the section on Detection spells, Force x Magic x 10 meter range.
phlapjack77
On the subject of extended area spells - in 4th edition, there's a line that says "Note that any of the standard range spells listed below may be learned with an extended range"

I don't see this line in 5th - I wonder if this is an intended rule now that only the explicitly listed extended spells can be learned? So for instance, there's no Extended Clairaudience listed in the rulebook, so it can't be learned without spell creation rules.
Eratosthenes
QUOTE (SpellBinder @ Aug 5 2013, 09:47 PM) *
Page 285, in the section on Detection spells, Force x Magic x 10 meter range.

Thank you. I kept looking in the sections titled "Area".
Giabralter
Ritual Spellcasting it's even bigger
SpellBinder
QUOTE (Eratosthenes @ Aug 5 2013, 07:40 PM) *
Thank you. I kept looking in the sections titled "Area".
Yeah, you'd think things would be put in the obvious places... nyahnyah.gif
Epicedion
QUOTE (phlapjack77 @ Aug 5 2013, 10:03 PM) *
On the subject of extended area spells - in 4th edition, there's a line that says "Note that any of the standard range spells listed below may be learned with an extended range"

I don't see this line in 5th - I wonder if this is an intended rule now that only the explicitly listed extended spells can be learned? So for instance, there's no Extended Clairaudience listed in the rulebook, so it can't be learned without spell creation rules.

This looks intentional. If I had to guess, I'd say it's probably to curtail the mage sitting down and clairvoyancing every square inch in a 400 meter radius and making the spell more a "what's on the other side of this door" or "what's in the nearest 5 rooms" spell instead.
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (Epicedion @ Aug 5 2013, 10:01 PM) *
This looks intentional. If I had to guess, I'd say it's probably to curtail the mage sitting down and clairvoyancing every square inch in a 400 meter radius and making the spell more a "what's on the other side of this door" or "what's in the nearest 5 rooms" spell instead.

No worries, just create your own when the Magic Book comes out. No big deal. *shrug*
Draco18s
QUOTE (Epicedion @ Aug 5 2013, 11:01 PM) *

On the other hand, some spells are completely worthless without making them extended. Like Mind Net. Telepathy with anyone you specify as long as they're at a 6 meter range, woo!
Sendaz
QUOTE (Draco18s @ Aug 6 2013, 10:17 AM) *
On the other hand, some spells are completely worthless without making them extended. Like Mind Net. Telepathy with anyone you specify as long as they're at a 6 meter range, woo!

Well Force x Magic so up the force to get you at least down the street a little ways.

But yeah, extended range seems to be needed as standard for some spells.
Mäx
QUOTE (Draco18s @ Aug 6 2013, 05:17 PM) *

Well it's a drain f-1 spell, so force 3 for minimum drain gives you 18 meter(assuming magic 6) witch is good enought for many uses.
No reason to cast it at force 1 unless you need to stuck it into a force 1 focus.

I get the feeling that the only being a non extended version is intentional and it just not ment as a wide range communication method.

One thing to consider is to, as a house rule, add the excess hits from the spellcasting test to force for the purpose of range, as getting more hits should do something.
That way a force 3 spell with 5 hits would have a range of 42 meters if you have magic 6.
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (Mäx @ Aug 6 2013, 08:38 AM) *
One thing to consider is to, as a house rule, add the excess hits from the spellcasting test to force for the purpose of range, as getting more hits should do something.
That way a force 3 spell with 5 hits would have a range of 42 meters if you have magic 6.

I think your math went off the rails there a bit, Max...

Force 3, Magic 6 is 18 Meters.
Using Exceess Hits as a Multiplier: Force 3, Magic 6, 2 excess hits is 36 meters.
Force 3 with 2 Excess hits added to Force (Making it 5 for your houserule adjustment), Magic 6 is 30 Meters.
Force 3, with 2 Excess Hits added to Magic (instead of Force), Magic 6 (8 with adjustment) is 24 Meters.
And with Excess Hits from your example added to both, Force 3(5 Adjusted), Magic 6(8 Adjusted) is 40 Meters.

Where is the 42 Meters coming from?
Draco18s
QUOTE (Sendaz @ Aug 6 2013, 09:25 AM) *
Well Force x Magic so up the force to get you at least down the street a little ways.

36 meters (Force 6, Magic 6) still isn't far enough for there to be reasonable communication within the party when approaching a target from multiple directions and trying to be radio silent.
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (Draco18s @ Aug 6 2013, 09:02 AM) *
36 meters (Force 6, Magic 6) still isn't far enough for there to be reasonable communication within the party when approaching a target from multiple directions and trying to be radio silent.

Which is why, when I choose Mind Net, I always choose Extended Range. smile.gif
The Most Intereseting Sorceror in the World...
Draco18s
QUOTE (Tymeaus Jalynsfein @ Aug 6 2013, 10:15 AM) *
Which is why, when I choose Mind Net, I always choose Extended Range. smile.gif
The Most Intereseting Sorceror in the World...

Thank you for proving my point.
Mäx
QUOTE (Tymeaus Jalynsfein @ Aug 6 2013, 05:44 PM) *
I think your math went off the rails there a bit, Max...

Force 3, Magic 6 is 18 Meters.
Using Exceess Hits as a Multiplier: Force 3, Magic 6, 2 excess hits is 36 meters.
Force 3 with 2 Excess hits added to Force (Making it 5 for your houserule adjustment), Magic 6 is 30 Meters.
Force 3, with 2 Excess Hits added to Magic (instead of Force), Magic 6 (8 with adjustment) is 24 Meters.
And with Excess Hits from your example added to both, Force 3(5 Adjusted), Magic 6(8 Adjusted) is 40 Meters.

Where is the 42 Meters coming from?

I didn't take the force limiting hits in to account sarcastic.gif
42 comes from force 3 + 4 excess hits =7*6
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012