Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: SR5 Question
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
cndblank

I'm thinking that the weapon must be able to do Full Autofire so a Crusader MP couldn't do it unless specially modified to fire Full Auto.

MACHINE PISTOLS ACC DAMAGE AP MODE RC AMMO AvAIL COST
Ares Crusader II 5 (7) 7P — SA / BF 2 40 © 9R 830¥
forgarn
Suppressive fire takes a complex action and uses twenty rounds. Also stated on pg 179:
Though it may appear as a “spray and pray” technique it is in fact a combination of controlled and fully automatic bursts focused over a narrow area and directed at anything that moves.

So I would say that with the fact that the fastest a BF weapon can fire is 3 rnds, and it is a simple action, and the description states fully automatic, it all requires an FA weapon to use suppressive fire.
Flaser
QUOTE (forgarn @ Aug 9 2013, 09:56 PM) *
Suppressive fire takes a complex action and uses twenty rounds. Also stated on pg 179:

So I would say that with the fact that the fastest a BF weapon can fire is 3 rnds, and it is a simple action, and the description states fully automatic, it all requires an FA weapon to use suppressive fire.

By your logic, even FA weapons couldn't handle suppressive fire, since "normally" they can only fire 10 bullets. I'd say that all weapons can throw downrange 2x the bullets you can normally fire when using aimed fire.
So, SA weapons can fire 6 bullets, BF weapons can fire 12 bullets, FA weapons can fire 20. Use these figures and the "not enough bullets" rule.

"A character can suppress a triangular area projecting from the shooting character outward up to a distance of his choosing, up to the maximum range of the weapon, with a width of 10 meters at its end and a height of 2 meters."-pg 179
"If an attempt at Suppressive Fire doesn’t have enough bullets, the width of the suppressed area is reduced by 1 meter for every 2 bullets the attack is short."

A BF weapon could suppress an area 10-(20-12=cool.gif/2=6 meters wide, using 12 bullets, taking a complex action.
A SA weapon could suppress an area 10-(20-6=14)/2=3 meters wide, using 6 bullets, taking a complex action.

The nice thing about this formula is that it works for fast firing weapons too... like miniguns, throwing 15 bullets downrange in a full auto burst, or 30 if we use my 2x max bullets figure:

A MG weapon could suppress an area 10-(20-30)/2=15 meters wide, using 30 bullets, taking a complex action.
forgarn
So what about the fact that the suppressive fire description states "fully automatic," which burst fire is not? Suppressive fire is a special firing mode for FA weapons because it says so in the description.

I would also disagree that all weapons can throw 2x the lead down range. Doesn't have any basis in RAW.

Note: in you math, the BF 20-12 = 8 not 6 so the triangle would be 6m wide. but it still requires an FA weapon no matter what the math is.
Slide
due to the abstract nature of the length of time in a pass it is hard to pin down how many bullets you should be throwing down range. I mean if everyone only has one pass does that mean the jerk holding down his finger on the AK only uses 10 bullets in three seconds? or is it that if he had 3 passes and held down the trigger the whole time he would shoot 30 bullets in 3 seconds?

To make math easy for me I'll assume that each pass is about 1 second. So thats 10 rounds a second, multiply by 60 and you have 600 (800 at 4 passes) rounds per minute. If I remember right modern machine guns shoot about 800-950 rounds per minute. Take the comparison for what it's worth.

But the rules do say that it takes a full auto weapon to do suppresive fire.
Flaser
QUOTE (Slide @ Aug 9 2013, 10:54 PM) *
due to the abstract nature of the length of time in a pass it is hard to pin down how many bullets you should be throwing down range. I mean if everyone only has one pass does that mean the jerk holding down his finger on the AK only uses 10 bullets in three seconds? or is it that if he had 3 passes and held down the trigger the whole time he would shoot 30 bullets in 3 seconds?

To make math easy for me I'll assume that each pass is about 1 second. So thats 10 rounds a second, multiply by 60 and you have 600 (800 at 4 passes) rounds per minute. If I remember right modern machine guns shoot about 800-950 rounds per minute. Take the comparison for what it's worth.

But the rules do say that it takes a full auto weapon to do suppresive fire.

Actually can you point out where in the 5th edition book is there a requirement for your firearm to be FA capable for suppressive fire? I read through the section several times and it's not mentioned as a requirement... yes, I know it was thus in 4E, but if I'm right this is a (yet another) issue that should go into the Errata.
Slide
Suppressive fire takes a Complex Action, uses twenty
rounds of ammo, and ignores recoil. Though it may
appear as a “spray and pray” technique it is in fact a
combination of controlled and fully automatic bursts
focused over a narrow area and directed at anything
that moves.

Poorly written and subject to scrutiny and interpretation. IMO it is saying that you need an FA weapon.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012