Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Weaponized drugs
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
FuelDrop
The new rules make mixing and matching drugs very dangerous. a double dose of Kamikaze, for instance, deals a whopping 18 points of stun damage. Kamikaze and jazz come in at a not insignificant 17 stun, while K + cram will still floor most people with 13 stun.

"Oh great Fueldrop" you cry (except you in the back there. I've got my eye on you...) "How is this even remotely useful? There are toxins that do comparable damage and are cheaper. Why would we want to consider hitting our foes with two doses of combat drugs if purpose designed poisons are eminently more practical."

See, the thing is that you don't have to hit your targets with two doses. Many foes cannot afford initiative enhancing cyberware, and as a result will apply the first dose to themselves before entering the fight. With a low risk of addiction (relatively speaking), low cost and long duration Cram is the kind of drug that you can reasonably expect your enemies to use if they cannot afford to get augmented but still need that edge in a fight. A gas grenade full of Jazz into a group of individuals already on cram hits them for a healthy 12 stun without the risk of friendly fire to allies or hostages (Tell any juicers on the team to wear a gas mask).

"But Fueldrop" you exclaim (You in the back again! Come on, put some effort in here!) "Isn't this incredibly circumstantial and impractical?"

Yes it is. In all honesty, a gas grenade full of a combat drug such as jazz is not as much a weapon as a way of getting the whole group drugged up with a single action. if you happen to be flooring any nearby enemies in the process, then smile.gif. Also, this tactic has a good chance of backfiring HARD if your opponents aren't already on drugs.

"Thank you for the dumbest idea I've ever heard." you conclude (oh what, NOW you join in? Fine, I give up.)
Repulse
A cocktail of Novacoke and Nitro would be a nice 16 Stun for only 60 Nuyen. Any idea off the top of your head how much the equiv. poison, etc would run? Just thought of something as well, if released via gas grenade would the cocktail be flammable as well? wink.gif
Vicar
QUOTE (Repulse @ Aug 13 2013, 07:31 AM) *
A cocktail of Novacoke and Nitro would be a nice 16 Stun for only 60 Nuyen.

Reminds me of something I smoked once in college. Man, was that a Bad Idea.
Jaid
ummm... correct me if i'm wrong (i didn't do a super-detailed reading of the drug rules), but don't all those drugs deal their damage *after they wear off*?

for cram, you're probably looking at a few hours. for jazz, up to an hour. kamikaze, i don't remember offhand and am too lazy to check, but i'm betting "not soon enough to avoid regretting your decision to pump your enemies full of kamikaze"

maybe they'll pass out from it, maybe not, but either way, it probably wasn't soon enough to help protect you from being beaten senseless by a bunch of people hopped up on combat drugs.
Repulse
Correct, you would take the stun dmg as they wear off, you would also take immediate OD damage wink.gif

As per P.415:

Overdosing:
Too much of anything can hurt you, or even kill you.
Whenever you take a substance while you’re already
on that substance or one that has a shared effect (like
the way cram and novacoke both affect Reaction), you
take Stun damage with a DV equal to the sum of the
Addiction Ratings of the overlapping drugs, resisted
with Body + Willpower.
Jaid
ah ok.

wouldn't it be better to just lob bliss and zen at your enemies, since both have a reaction penalty? =P
Repulse
It would seem that way, however it would only equal out to 8 DV instead of 16 due to the addictive properties. One question/concern I do have about the gas grenade with drugs is that would they take the damage each round they stay in the cloud, as "tear gas" lingers for approx 2 min. iirc.
Umidori
QUOTE (Repulse @ Aug 13 2013, 09:23 AM) *
As per P.415:

Overdosing:
Too much of anything can hurt you, or even kill you. Whenever you take a substance while you’re already on that substance or one that has a shared effect (like the way cram and novacoke both affect Reaction), you take Stun damage with a DV equal to the sum of the Addiction Ratings of the overlapping drugs, resisted with Body + Willpower.

*takes a shot of whiskey*
*takes another*
*suffers 6S, flubs the resist, suffers Knockdown*
"Tha's shome shtrong drek, chummahs!"

~Umi
Dancer
Enough drug to fill a gas grenade (which could potentially affect a dozen people) is clearly waaay more than a single dose. You're more likely looking at hundreds of nuyen per grenade.
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (Dancer @ Aug 13 2013, 01:40 PM) *
Enough drug to fill a gas grenade (which could potentially affect a dozen people) is clearly waaay more than a single dose. You're more likely looking at hundreds of nuyen per grenade.

or more... smile.gif nyahnyah.gif wobble.gif
Voran
I miss Hyper.
Repulse
After the initial damage of 16DV Stun, would another double dose deal 16DV Stun or would it be "the sum of" the drugs and come in at 32DV Stun?

Another question is, if they do happen to resist all 16DV Stun initially, do they get the benefits of both drugs?
Repulse
I was just wondering, is there a specialization for Exotic Ranged Weapons (Ares S-III Super Squirt)?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012