Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Injury Modifiers
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Grimtooth
Ok i was reading on the forum yesterday about a player wondering about injury modifiers and spell drain resistance tests.

I was floored. My group has been applying injury modifiers to ALL tests. We've always done it this way.

Are we using old rules? Is this a hold over from 2nd or 1st edition?

We were also concerned that our games were not dangerous enough. Turns out it was incredibly dangerous.

Think about resisting a serious wound with serious wound modifiers.

Where did we go wrong? Are we just set in our ways?
shadd4d
Set in your ways. I think damage was meant to be the 1 exception (everything else is at penalty, otherwise you don't get a sense of "I'm hurt, it's harder to do anything).

Penalty to damage tests is a lot more lethal than not; I never did a penalty for damage tests.

Don
TinkerGnome
QUOTE (SR3)
The Injury Modifier is a universal target number modifier that applies to nearly all Success Tests the injured character may attempt, except those for resisting or avoiding damage.

You were close. [edit] Note that the dodge test specificly lists wound modifiers as applying, so this really only applies to damage and drain resistance tests. [/edit]
Grimtooth
Frag!

just goes to show that just cause you memorized the previous version, not all things tranfer over.

Looks like my Troll Boar physical shaman will be staying conscious more now.
BIG BAD BEESTE
Its amazing how those little things we all took as SOP back in 1st & 2nd Ed get so easily overlooked in the 3rd Ed changes. Got caught out myself by one or two little rule upgrades before going through the text with a fine tooth comb to catch the little suckers.
BitBasher
Yeah, it happens, the little rules offend up being the killers for surviving a scenario too.
Jason Farlander
QUOTE (Grimtooth)
Ok i was reading on the forum yesterday about a player wondering about injury modifiers and spell drain resistance tests.

I was floored. My group has been applying injury modifiers to ALL tests. We've always done it this way.

Are we using old rules? Is this a hold over from 2nd or 1st edition?

We were also concerned that our games were not dangerous enough. Turns out it was incredibly dangerous.

Think about resisting a serious wound with serious wound modifiers.

Where did we go wrong? Are we just set in our ways?

You know... for a while I did this to a former group of players, *knowing* that it wasnt the "correct" way to play the game. It lasted until one of the players bought their own copy of SR3, read it, and informed the rest of the group about the actual rule.

When they confronted me about it and asked me to explain why I did that, I simply yelled "LETHAL!!!!!" while shaking my fist in the air.

(As a note, this is *not* why this particular group is designated as "former.")
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012