Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Weapon foci - whole, or tags?
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Hagga
What are they made of? Is it something built inherent to the original weapon, laced with orichalcum and gumdrops or are they tags and alterations, so that an adept who decides he really, really, *really* likes his spatula can go and get a dollop of fairy dust and smear it on the spatula, then bond it?
Dancer
The entire weapon is a Focus. Although if he really likes that spatula he could pay someone to turn it into a suitable telesma (by adding gumdrops and stuff) then enchant it.
Hagga
I know the entire weapon is a focus, I'm just curious if they can only ever be bought whole or there are book references otherwise - so you could (as you said) go make yourself a monofilament chainsaw focus and go shedim hunting with the Doom theme playing.
Dancer
QUOTE (Hagga @ Aug 18 2013, 06:22 AM) *
I know the entire weapon is a focus, I'm just curious if they can only ever be bought whole or there are book references otherwise - so you could (as you said) go make yourself a monofilament chainsaw focus and go shedim hunting with the Doom theme playing.

You can't buy a packet of 'Focus-in-a-can', you have to enchant the object itself thus turning it into a focus.
You can certainly make a monofilament chainsaw a weapon focus. It'll be harder because of the high Object Resistance of the mundane chainsaw you're using as a base, but it can be done.
SpellBinder
On a similar note, the cannon character Harlequin may have up to 24 sustaining foci that are as powerful as Force 10 that are nothing but random assorted buttons and/or pins grabbed from the bargain bin at the ¥1 store.

Thomas McAllister from Another Rainy Night has dog tags that are a Force 3 Manipulation Sustaining focus.

By the enchantment rules in Street Magic (SR4), a rock of any material may be enchanted to be a weapon focus, with nothing extra used in the enchanting, and will function as such as long as you don't throw it at anything. It's not easy to make on your own, but possible.

If you've got a "Sponge Bob" character that wants a spatula as a weapon focus, it's possible.
Shortstraw
QUOTE (SpellBinder @ Aug 18 2013, 04:21 PM) *
If you've got a "Sponge Bob" character that wants a spatula as a weapon focus, it's possible.

Maybe he is Okinawan.
Vlagrate
Is it possible, by RAW, RAI or otherwise, to enchant bone lacing Weapon foci or make them into tattoos like Qi foci?

The latter might be a bit cheesy, as it gets rid of the need for killing hands. Yet at the same time, that power is now a poor choice, as you're better off using Hardliner Gloves enchanted as a weapon focus.

And yes, I recognize that an adept would pay Essence to get bone lacing, but even Used Titanium Bone Lacing only burns 2 points of magic, while providing more than 2 points of power equivalents (and then some).
Sendaz
Just curious, but would bone lacing even be available as 'used'? I realize in the RAW all cyberware should be available as used, but this is a bit odd.

I mean you would have to scrape it off the bone, remelt it down and the apply to the new subject, can you really call it used since it is basically being remade.

Also the question would be when is it enchanted? If you enchant the lump of metal before it goes in for lacing the structure will be changed which will pretty much ruin it as a focus.

The other option is do it after the lacing is in, and wouldn't the mage have to be in contact with the lacing itself?

We were pondering something similar years ago while toying with the idea of lacing the bones with orichalcum and the issue of enchanting was a sticking point then.
Dancer
QUOTE (SpellBinder @ Aug 18 2013, 06:21 AM) *
By the enchantment rules in Street Magic (SR4), a rock of any material may be enchanted to be a weapon focus, with nothing extra used in the enchanting, and will function as such as long as you don't throw it at anything. It's not easy to make on your own, but possible.

If you want to make a (non-weapon) focus then a rock off the ground is actually a superior choice to any fancy-pants amulet because it counts as a Virgin Telesma. Plus less likely to be stolen.
Vlagrate
QUOTE (Sendaz @ Aug 18 2013, 05:25 AM) *
Just curious, but would bone lacing even be available as 'used'? I realize in the RAW all cyberware should be available as used, but this is a bit odd.

I mean you would have to scrape it off the bone, remelt it down and the apply to the new subject, can you really call it used since it is basically being remade.

It's a point that needs to be clarified in the book, along with a note to newer players that cultured bioware strictly cannot be acquired 'used'.

As for Bone lacing in particular: it is described as 'lattice chains', so I suppose that it could be recovered in much the same way that it was implanted. Apply lots of drugs to stimulate the immune system and then pry it off the bones like a ripcord. Painful as hell, but they gotta have some way to recover this stuff.

From a creepier perspective, if the chains are standardized and it's about the placement rather than the exact lengths, you could probably harvest a used 'set' from chop shops and morgues by taking the whole body and ripping the bones out.

Also the question would be when is it enchanted? If you enchant the lump of metal before it goes in for lacing the structure will be changed which will pretty much ruin it as a focus.

The other option is do it after the lacing is in, and wouldn't the mage have to be in contact with the lacing itself?

We were pondering something similar years ago while toying with the idea of lacing the bones with orichalcum and the issue of enchanting was a sticking point then.

You'd probably want to rework it as little as possible, if at all, so you'd be enchanting the lattice chains.

Mageware would have been cool, although I don't think that Burnout Adepts need any help these days.
Voran
Presumably, for the ones not Immortal Elves or Dwaaaagons, one picks a focus on sentimental reasons and/or durability concerns. You're not going to just pick up a Twinkie and turn it into a focus. You'd want to pick something that you can easily haul around with you. Something that doesn't scream "I'm a FOCUS!" or if it does is kinda a pain to take from you unawares. I dunno about orichalcum lacing, sounds poisonous, but I could see "Mage Automail" or cyberarm focus or somesuch.
Dancer
QUOTE (Voran @ Aug 18 2013, 09:37 PM) *
You'd want to pick something that you can easily haul around with you. Something that doesn't scream "I'm a FOCUS!" or if it does is kinda a pain to take from you unawares.

AKA a small rock.

If it's particularly valuable have a cybersurgeon give it an anti-immune coating and glue it to one of your bones.
Voran
A distinct rock so if it falls on the ground you can tell which one is yours without astral sight.

Also, I forget, was it earlier versions that allowed foci to be lightning rods of badthingshappen for someone targeting the mage?
Sendaz
QUOTE (Voran @ Aug 19 2013, 05:53 AM) *
A distinct rock so if it falls on the ground you can tell which one is yours without astral sight.

Also, I forget, was it earlier versions that allowed foci to be lightning rods of badthingshappen for someone targeting the mage?

Yes they used to be able to ground physical spells from the astral.

Now all they can do is deactivate the foci.
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (Sendaz @ Aug 19 2013, 04:07 AM) *
Yes they used to be able to ground physical spells from the astral.

Now all they can do is deactivate the foci.

Yay... wobble.gif
Sendaz
It's not like it's that big of a setback, relatively easy to switch back on.

Course it's a real pain for those guys who went out of their way to load a Force 1 spell using edge/reagents to up the hits to carry in that sustaining foci, but that's what you get for lowballing your spells. wink.gif

They had made mention of having a way to 'brick' the foci so it's disabled for longer, but it didn't make the main book so I am hoping to see something in the magic splat book. But won't know for certain until then.
SpellBinder
Maybe it got cut because this is now Deckerrun and not Magicrun rollin.gif
Sendaz
QUOTE (SpellBinder @ Aug 19 2013, 12:04 PM) *
Maybe it got cut because this is now Deckerrun and not Magicrun rollin.gif

Or still working out bugs.

Or maybe seeing how it sounded not to dissimilar to the hacking / bricking thing, maybe they are seeing how everyone reacts to this first before they add the same for magic foci. nyahnyah.gif
SpellBinder
Makes me wonder what happened to a good old Powerbolt...

Oh, wait, that's right. Direct spells got the nerf-bat in SR5.
Sendaz
I was not entirely happy with what they did with Direct spells, but it does change the flavour more between the two (Direct vs. Indirect).

Plus while it does bite some coming out of Chargen, there is a limit on how much your enemies can up their Will/Body (granted throwing Powerbolt at Trolls was never a good idea anyway) while your Skills & Magic will go a bit higher.

I suspect the gloves are coming off about the gentlemen's agreement on the use of mind control spells for more than a few tables. If you can't blast them all, why not turn a few against the rest?
Dancer
There will also be a lot more mages saying "I cast Bullet."
You've got all these buff spells, use 'em.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012