Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: IC Nothing's Free in Denver
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Welcome to the Shadows
Pages: 1, 2, 3
Umidori
Despite the generous size of his dinner, Slick still manages to take a few bites of cheesecake between the final few drags of his cigarette.

Ya know, that guy's alright. I'll have to buy him a drink some time.

Flipping a mental switch, Slick boots up his implanted commlink, then spools out a length of cable from his neck and jacks into the less sophisticated device tucked lazily in his jacket pocket. He quickly sorts a handful of files between the two, moving them to more secure locations and deleting the old directories as he goes. Then, speaking through the noise and distortion of his trash commlink, he joins the overarching digital conversation.

"Pu͔͖̲̼ͅt͉͇͓̦̬̻ͅ m̫e̱͖͚̩͉ ̤̩̪̖̙w̳̫͚h̻̗̣̜̤̞e͈̼͔̮̲r̳̤͉̦e̤͖̹̠̟͈ ͎͉̝̺y̻͓a̲͈͕͍ͅ ̞̣̘̗̻̯ne̮͍͚̙ed ̰̥̥̹͓̯̼m̺̻̗̣̩͍e͉͖̱͖͔̝̖,̖̘̣̩̙ ̬͕̤̯͖c̣h̟͎͔̰̦͓ͅu̲͍̜̟̜̘m͉͓m̦̳̦̠̜e̯͖͉͍̣̤rṣ̭.͕ Aḽ̟͈̞͍ͅt̙̱͍̺h͎̯͎̦̦̥̗o͈̼u̟ͅg̪h͖̗͕̹̼̳ͅ s͙e̩͇͓͈̣͉͉a͖̫̻̳̭t̟̳̥̳ͅ w̳̙̭a̼͉̹̰͇͕r̫m̲̻e̪̟͍͈̪̳r̜̯̩̬͔ͅͅs̲͚͙̥̞ ̙̮̼sọ͙̩̝ͅu͎͖͖̖̰̬n̦̭̩͍̳͇d̻̟̻̗ g͓̲̩̰ͅo̪͎̬͖̝̦͖o̲͖̰͈͈̰d̹̩̜̯ ̖̺̞̯̩to̦͇ ͖̩̭͎̲̙̜m̭̮̥̟͓̬̣e̩͍̻.̰͍̝̪̙̠ͅ"

~Umi
TheOneRonin
30 spots Stuntman and Opti climbing into what he presumes to be Stuntman's ride.

"Hey guys, got room for one more?"
Lowmoan Spectacular
Danny does some mental arithmetic a couple times and the answer comes out the same. He broadcasts his recommendation to the entire team.

"If we're splitting up I'd recommend you go with the other team, my numerical friend. Obviously I don't hope for any gunplay tonight, but if anything goes sideways you've got the means to bring the pain. Opti and I can be very persuasive, and if all else fails I've got a little somethin' somethin' in the trunk to take care of business.

And I do thing we should split. It'll cover the ground faster and be less intimidating than five bad dudes rolling up all at once. My call would be me and Opti to Cangene, then 30, Slick, and Hose to Cerus."
PraetorGradivus
Null sheen. Seems like a plan to me.
TheOneRonin
"Roger that.

Hosepipe, looks like we are heading to Cerus.

I came on my bike, so I can follow you, or ride with you if you've got the room.

If you don't have a ride here, we can always call a cab.

In fact, it might be better to do that and have them drop us off a couple of blocks away.

Your call."

PraetorGradivus
I think the cab is a better idea... we're just doing recon so no fight is likely
Umidori
"C̯̰a̺̟b͉͚ͅ ͖i͙t ̫͚̞͕̖͔̺i̗̻̦͉͙̩̱s̻̤ ṯ̯h͖̘̱e͍n̙͓.̦̞͍͕"

Pity about the seat warmers though.

~Umi
Lobo0705
<<Cerus Industries, Dove Valley Business Park, UCAS Sector, 22:00>>

Opti and Stuntman get on their vehicles and pull away - Stuntman seeming to make the vehicle swagger somehow as he drives down the road.

The rest of you are forced to wait outside the Augusta while Charles calls you a cab. About 5 minutes later, cab pulls up in front, and the window rolls down smoothly as you approach. The driver is a dwarf, his company uniform disheveled and covered in stains. If you had to guess, you would assume the latest Nutrisoy flavor. His datajack shows clearly on the side of his head, and he is jacked directly into the cab. "Where ya headed?" he asks?

You squeeze in the back, and feel pleasantly surprised that the interior of the cab is in much better condition than the driver's uniform. After giving him an address two blocks away from the location of Cerus, the car roars to life, and begins to weave expertly in and out of traffic. What the driver lacks in social graces, he seems to make up in skill.

After a quick stop near the Melbourne to pick up Hosepipe's crossbow, you jump on the I25 running through the UCAS sector, leaving the bright lights of the downtown area behind as you head south. The cab driver eyes the crossbow a bit, but since it is technically legal, he says nothing. After about 20-30 minutes, you pull into the Dove Valley Business Park. You pass a Lone Star patrol car on your way, maintaining their watch on the streets while the private security companies watch the properties themselves.

You can see the Cerus Industries building from here - a multi-story building that is covered in glass from top to bottom.

Cerus Industries

As the cab pulls over, the driver looks over the 3 of you, and then turns to 30 and says, "That'll be 50 nuyen.gif pal."
Lowmoan Spectacular
"Alright, meet you there Opti. You drive careful now."

Danny sends a door close command and eases into his seat. Already jacked in, he submerges entirely into VR. His awareness of his own body ceases completely. When he breathes in and out, it's the air intake and exhaust of the Shin-Hyung. When he tenses his muscles, the engine revs up. He sees through the cameras and motion sensors as if they were his own eyes, but all at once like a sixth sense. In direct opposition to his advice to Opti, he peels out and merges into traffic like a lion in a herd of gazelle.

Most cars on the highway are running on autopilot. Dog brained pilot programs have all the fun while their joyless passengers while away the hours till their meaningless deaths. Danny weaves between them. Passing them is easy. In fact, it's the most natural thing in the world. He is the car. He is the only one who's present and accounted for in his own life. The only thing that takes away from the pure joy of his drive is the thought of all the people around him, being carried around by machines like bags of trash. The frustration tingles at the back of his mind. He speeds up, drives closer to the dog brains than he has to, makes a couple of them test their brakes as he swerves in front of them. A little recklessness is why life is worth living. Without it a person is at best an animal, at worst a machine.

It's an odd insult to be throwing around while I'm a car. But that's the difference. My soul is more free in this "body" than theirs can be within their own flesh and blood. A machine body with a soul is worth any number of meatbags without one.
Opti
Drive Careful, huh? He's got a sense of humor, I see. Good.

Opti hops on his bike and follows Stuntman... for 3 seconds. And then just heads to Cangene. Still astrally percieving... at least for a little while, anyway. The Deepweed usually lasts about 3 hours on Opti, though it varies from person to person. Opti's frustrated that he couldn't keep it together tonight, even for a meet with a Johnson, and its still grinding on his brain. With this in mind, he muses...

When it wears off, I won't be at my best. Still, put a tough face on, and take your medicine, chief. Hopefully you'll learn a lesson from this. Although, if you haven't learned by now...

Stuntman, I'm coming to your coordinates, we can move in when i get there.
Lobo0705
<<Cangene Inc., Northern UCAS Sector, outside Stapleton Airport, 22:00>>

As Stuntman and Opti move through the crowded Denver streets, they draw nearer and nearer to Stapleton Airport. As the pass it, they can see the air traffic coming and going in a steady stream. Big jumbo passenger suborbitals, bringing in new life and talent to the city - or moving it somewhere else - move ponderously through the skies. Faster, sleeker, UCAS military VTOLs constantly take off and land - maintaining to the letter the conditions of the Treaty of Denver that only allows the UCAS military to have one squadron of planes stationed at the airport at any one time - although with the constant comings and goings, they effectively have four squadrons within range at any given time.

Taking the off ramp, they arrive in what used in the old Park Hill area - once a residential area that slowly was bought out by corps who needed quicker access to the airport for their products. Some vestiges of the old neighborhoods exist, one or two houses here and there, now in bad need of repair, like isolated islands in the middle of the sea of warehouses.

They pull up near the facility, a combination of business office and warehouse. A fence surrounds the property, with a gate large enough for tractor trailers to move through easily at the front. The gate is currently closed, with a booth to one side for the drivers to check in as they arrive. There is no one at the booth, as everything appears automated.

The building itself is several football fields long, and about two stories high. There are several dozen cargo doors, as well as the main entrance to the office part of the building. There is a parking lot to the left of the building, which, while not full, has a fair amount of cars.

Opti
Opti arrives at Stuntman's location (thanks to the autopilot on his bike) and stumbles slightly as he dismounts.

Stuntman, give me a sec, I'm gonna case the place real quick.

Opti leans himself against his bike and sort of doses into another reality...
Opti
After a few minutes, Opti snaps back into his body and stretches his arms up and then faces Stuntman.

Back. Everything looks frosty. Just being overly cautious. They have a ward, but most companies can afford to, so that's not anything special, just means I can't go flying in or bring a spirit with me. Otherwise, things look pretty calm. What say you sweet talk us in?

TheOneRonin
With a few quick button presses on his link, 30 authorizes the 50 nuyen transaction to the cab driver.

He then squeezes his 134 kilo frame out of the cramped cab.

Like traveling in damned conex box.

Once he and the rest of the team are out of the cab, 30 does some quick back stretches and shoulder rotations to help get the knots out.

"Hosepipe...what can you tell us about Cerus Industries?"
Lowmoan Spectacular
Danny eases out of VR to consider his options.

"Sounds like a plan. I've always been a fan of front doors, myself. Why don't you hop in and we'll drive right up?"

Danny stays in AR, keeping his mind on his surroundings. He pulls up to the front gate's booth. The automated system doesn't cater to intruders, of course, but Danny has long since learned that the best way past any security is through the human element. He fumbles at ARO controls until he finds a way to call into the building. Waiting for a response, he turns to Opti.

"If you don't mind sharing the ownership privileges of your bike temporarily, it might come in handy for me to add it to my RCC. I could drive it to us in case of emergency."
Opti
Sure thing. It's just a bike. And as it turns out, I've got something of a cough at the moment, which, as silly as it sounds, is interfering with my ability to operate the damned thing.
Lobo0705
<<Cangene Inc>>

After a moment, a voice comes from the speaker:

"I'm sorry, we are closed right now except for pickups and deliveries"
PraetorGradivus
<<Cerus Industries, Dove Valley Business Park, UCAS Sector>>

60 nuyen principle plus 20% and a service charge of 2 was 74 nuyen for that old bastard to hold my crossbow for not even an evening. Well at least I didn't spill anything on that dumb suit before returning it so he didn't get more that way. Oh well, let me get my head in the game and look up Cerus on the Grid.

"Hey guys, Cerus is a Biotech company... they sell what looks to be mostly bioware... they only sell supposedly, don't do the implants themselves."

What does a bioware company have to do with what looks like mob muscling in on mob territory? I must be wrong on this one and there's a different angle... Or maybe I'm right and don't have the keystone to connect Cerus to the mob.
Lowmoan Spectacular
<<Cangene Inc>>

"I'm sorry, we are closed right now except for pickups and deliveries."

The snippy voice is brief and to the point. Danny takes a deep breath, getting into the role. His character has authority. His character is frustrated. His character will be inside that building in two minutes.

"Yeah, look pal, your boss and my boss want this security consultation over with, like yesterday, but they never gave me my damn entry code. Buzz us in, will ya? And we can all continue to have jobs tomorrow."

The speaker voice snips back.

"Excuse me, sir, I have no record of a security consultant scheduled to arrive.... certainly not at this hour. Who did you say you were?"

"Who am I?! Who are you?"

"I... my name's Phil."

"Phil, hear the name Lucius Harbatkin, and remember it! And this is my partner..."

Danny gives Opti a once-over. By his actions, he is trying to decide on a believeable cover identity for his partner. By his words, he apparently gave up halfway through.

"Raven Darkmeat. We're the security consultants that're gonna save your company millions! You ever here of Dorcas Freight?"

"No sir, I have not."

"You're damned right! Because they thought our fee was too high. They didn't have us to check their sewer grates for secure-ness, and they all got eaten by ghouls! You wanna be the guy with that on your head?!"

"Look, whoever you are, I have no record of a security consultation. I have no record of any Lucius Harbatkin. I do not believe you have any legitimate business here. I would ask you to please leave the premises immediately."

Danny makes a pained face at Opti by way of apology. He exhales, expelling that character. He puts himself in the headspace of the badass psycho mercenary.

It's a bit early in the game to go home empty handed. Time to go for broke.

"Alright Phil. The truth, now. Recently, fines were levied against Cangene for failing a government inspection. It was bullshit. Somebody's trying to fuck you. Fuck you, Phil. My associate and I have been hired to find those particular fuckers and fuck them back. We don't work for Cangene, but we sure as hell are the enemies of your enemies. We can help each other, Phil. And you can be the guy that introduced me to your boss."
Lobo0705
<<Cangene Inc., Northern UCAS Sector, outside Stapleton Airport>>

There is a long silence following Stuntman's confession. You can hear the fence creaking as it sways in the wind as the guard thinks about what you said.

"Give me a name and number you can be reached at, and I'll have someone call you back. Best I can do - but you need to get off the property now."

TheOneRonin

Making his way down the sidewalk in front of Cerus Industries, 30 casually stops to pull a cig from inside his jacket.

As he lights it up and takes a long drag, he focuses on the sights and sounds around the building...taking in all the relevant data like he has so many times before. It's not long before he continues on his way down the sidewalk, just another passer-by to anyone watching.

He keys the subvocal mic from his 'link and broadcasts to Slick and Hosepipe:

"Got eyes on. Single guard, lobby, stationary. Another, 2nd floor, roaming. Trid cams at the front entrance and over the door on the East side. No VS visible on the parking lot, but no guarantees.

No external patrols, two...maybe three avenues for ingress.

I'm not seeing any foot traffic either...probably no employees on shift other than security.

If we are getting in there tonight, it's going to have to be covertly.

I'll need my kit, and we'll need the other two before making any moves."

Umidori

"I̺͓̺͔̹͖ͅ'̬͚͎̼̮͔m͖̥̟͎̜̱ ̥̝̼̫̪g̲̬̺̣̘̰a̞̤̠̤m̪͇̠̪̱e̺̫͕̣̦̳̫ ̦͓̬̹͖̭̗t̖̲̱̟o͙ ̣̺̥̬̺t̖̙̜̝̺a̼̹͈͈͍̫̥k̭͍͔e̬ ̺̹̫̥̼͚a͓͇ ̗͍͖̦̠̭͎l͉̩o̩͈̯ͅok͈̲͚͉ ̖͈͇̫i̺͇f̝͓̩̠͈ ̪̣̱H͉͓̘̘̪̟͈ c̻͎͙a̭̳n̥ ̩͍h̫o̙͚̩͕̖o͉̯̗̼̹k̙̙̬̦ ͕̩̥̻m͎̗e ̺̙̯̻͖u̦̬̥p̭̖ ̞̟̬̜w̗͔͉͕i̗̫̳̜t̝̞h̟̝̜͎̮̮ ̹̗̞̪̳̥ze̙̯̙̤͕̹r͙̬̼̘̞͔̰o̭͎͔ͅḙͅs̩̦ ̪a̘͇͇n̪d̘ ̹̼͎̫̣on̫̪̱̝͖̱e̮̜̦̘̳̩ṣ̳̞͇̜.̣͓͓ ̖̦͉̣B̙͔͓̣͖͔̘u̖̝t͓̝͖͕ ̩̣l̫̠̹͔̭̮ͅe̲̺̭̯̗̟t̜̫'̠s̞̠ ̩̻̩͙̩̣̞b̮̯͇̱e̞̲͍̖͔ͅ s͔̳̞͔̗̣͓ṃ̯̻͍̬͉̦a͚̭r̭̻̪͇̲̮t̝̬̪̻͍͕ͅ,̬̻͔̹̦̙ͅ ͕̪̫͇͍t͙͓͙̝̣͓̣a͙̪̲͇͇k͇̬̦̬͕͈e̠̣ ̟̜̘̫o͓̘u̝̘̜̣r̪͚ ̺̩̘̮̥t̪͓̘̱̤̺i͍̪̜̱m̲̟͎͇e̗͚͖̘̫.̫̟ ͓͈̹̯̳̗ͅ"

Slick shakes his head, sighs audibly at nothing in particular, and lights up another smoke.

"M̫̭e̱̪̜̫͓̲̭a̺̲̝̝̜͇ͅn̪͓t̼̺͖i̪̖̞m̭̩̳̦̻e̗̫̮̙̠̫,͉̼̠̘̤̹͉ ͙̣̯̤̪͎̫I'̫͚͎̲͉l͎̺̹̳̟̹͖l̪͔͎͎̘̟ ̳͓̣̯t͈͈a̗͔̜̰ͅͅk̥̯e͕̖̪͇̰̠̞ ̝̯̦̝̣a̠ w͈̣͉̞̹̯̱a̱͉͙̟͇̝̬l̜̹͍̳͖k̜̱̟̞.̻̗̫̘͕ ̯M̙i̪̼g̳h͉̺͔ṯ ̻̬̺̺̘̬f̺̮̭ͅi̮͍͚n̯d̹ ͔͔͚̼̥s̥̮̝o̬̬͎̰̹m͉̱̥e͔̣͎̘t̺̳͉̥̹͚̪h͔ing̲̖̫͕͈̖ ̗͓̠̪̞̺̻u͚͙͙͍̮s̲̖e̜͈̫fu͍͈̯̬̮͕̻l̝̱̗̭͔͚͈, ̩̥̼̦̗̜̩n̻̦̩͕̟͈ev̥͓͉̘e͙͉r͖ ̪k̬͔̹͙̣̻͇n̠̱̦̼̫̘̰o͔̺̫͉̯w.͎̮̺̳͖̻

And here I was hoping we'd get in the door easy. Ahh well, it's never easy, is it? And if it is, it's probably a trap.

~Umi
Lobo0705

As 30, Slick, and Hosepipe case the building, they spot the headlights of a car turning the corner towards them. As it turns, they can make out the familiar markings of a Lone Star police vehicle.

It takes only a moment for them to realize they are standing by themselves all alone in the middle of a business park near midnight...
Lowmoan Spectacular

Danny sends the info for his burner 'link and fake SIN over the intercom.

"I better hear from your boss and not the cops, Phil. I'd be very upset, you seem like a stand-up guy. Like, in the 'keep your word' sense, not in the 'narc to Lone Star' sense. You have a good night now, ya hear?"

He reverses away from the booth and accelerates into the night, driving with AR to collect his meat-body thoughts. He turns to Opti, annoyance on is face.

"Well that turned out like a bit of a clusterfuck. I'm used to mob hours, ya know? If they ran their shit like a self-respecting criminal enterprise we could meet someone face to face at this hour, then between you and me we could get 'em to dance the maranga. Whattaya thinkin', want to meet up with the others?"

Though planning on leaving Cangene, Danny hasn't driven too far yet, just enough to make it look like he's not planning on any kind of B&E for any cameras that may be watching.
Opti

Hah! Yeah, not our finest hour for sure. Still, going in through the front door in the daytime is not standard runner M.O. now is it? I agree, let's check in with how the others are doing, see if they need a hand, and if not, we wait for our guy to call us back while I sleep off this cough. If he doesn't call before business hours tomorrow, we pay another visit, and then, we won't take no for an answer.
Opti
To the entire team:

Hoi fellas. Cangene was a bust for Stuntman and me at the moment. You fellas need a hand, or even just want one? We got nothing to do except sleep until our lead follows up with us...
Lobo0705
<<Cerus>>

As the Lone Star Vehicle rounds the corner, Slick and 30 quickly fade back into the shadows. 30 moves around the front of the Cerus building, and disappears into one of the trees planted nearby. rounds a corner, hops a short wall, and flattens himself behind it.

Hosepipe on the other hand, as he starts to move to take advantage of a depression in the landscape, trips and falls. The Lone Star vehicle, catching the movement out of the corner of their eyes, slows down and stops. They get out of their car, and begin shining flashlights in that direction...
PraetorGradivus
<<Cerus>>

No crying over spilled soykaf. Lets see if we can salvage this.

Hosepipe starts walking in the direction of the Lone Start Officers.

Hello officers. You guys got an ice pack?, I just tripped and banged the heck out of my knee.

Lobo0705
<<Cerus>>

One of the Lone Star Officers shines his flashlight in Hosepipe's eyes. His cybereyes adjust for the sudden increased ambient light, and he can see the other Lone Star patrolman with his hand on his weapon - although it is still holstered.

"Sir, can you please put the crossbow down?"
PraetorGradivus
Yeah, no problem.

Hosepipe bends over and puts the crossbow down on the ground. Standing up he says, How about that ice pack?
Lobo0705
<<Cerus>>

The officer takes his hand off of his pistol, and relaxes slightly.

The first officer, lowering the flashlight so it isn't directly in your eyes, approaches you.

"I will be happy to get you an ice pack in a moment, sir. In the meantime, may I please see your ID?"

He drops his eyes to your Microtronica Azteca, looks back at you and says, "I assume you have a license for that sir?"
PraetorGradivus
I'm wondering around the middle of the night with a crossbow and he's worried about my deck. Ass backwards.

Slowly I reach into my pocket (No need to get plugged if they're trigger happy) and pull out my fake ID.

"I'm Jorge Goodeman, a cybersecurity specialist. The license for my deck is in order. It's worth too much money to leave behind when I'm hunting. My hunting license is also up to date."
Lobo0705
<<Cerus>>

The Lone Star officer, a fit looking man in his 30's runs your SIN through is scanner. He carefully looks at you as he verifies that the information in the data in front of him matches your physical description. He then examines your license.

"Sir, may I see your deck for a moment?" as you hand it to him, he verifies that he serial number on the deck matches the one on your license, and then hands it back to you.

"Thank you Mr. Goodeman." He turns to his partner, "Scott, see if we have something in the first aid kit." Facing you again, he says, "Mr. Goodeman, may I ask what you are doing here in the middle of the night?"
PraetorGradivus
"My friend Raul swore he saw some marmots around here. If it was somebody else I'd say they were wrong as they're usually higher up in elevation. But Raul and I have hunted together since we were kids. Not as much now of course- we got different jobs and he has a wife. I was hoping to bag one and make some stew. I'm tired of algae this and soy that. I don't care what they say about they can make it taste like whatever you want- it's not the same as real meat."

I'm sure these city folks will find the idea of eating a rodent disgusting enough that they may just leave me alone.

"So far no luck. I either got the coordinates wrong or they moved on up where they belong. Still, I thought I saw some squirrels in the trees."
Lobo0705
<<Cerus>>

Shaking his head, the cop looks at you like your from another planet. Frakkin' savages, should never let them over the border.

"Sir, while you may be licensed for hunting, I'm sure you realize that you can't hunt on private property. I'm going to have to ask you to leave."
He points to the Lone Star vehicle. "Do you have a car nearby we can drive you too, or do you want us to drop you off at the nearest public transportation?"
PraetorGradivus
"No use for it. Like I said they're probably gone anyway.... nearest public transport would be appreciated. Thanks, and thanks for the ice pack. Serves me right for trying to nab one at night."

<<Stuntman, Lonestar is dropping me off at public trans. I'll give you the coordinates when they let me out. Please pick me up.>>

Hosepipe attaches the hard case over the crossbow arms to protect them. He sits back, closes his eyes and waits to be dropped off.
Lobo0705
<<Cerus>>

The officers escort Hosepipe to the car, open the back door, and let him get in. They go to the front seat, start the car up, and begin to drive away. The trip is made in relative silence, and lasts about 5 minutes. The car pulls up in front of a vacant bus stop, and the door pops open. As Hosepipe exits, the officer says, "Don't go hunting in this area again - next time we will not be as polite."

The car pulls away, turns on its lights for a moment as it cuts a quick U-turn, and quickly vanishes back the way it came.

Hosepipe is left alone at the bus-stop, except for a few drunks and 'chippers sprawled up against a nearby building.

Meanwhile, back at the business park, 30 and Slick watch the Lone Star vehicle drive away.
Opti
Not having heard from the rest of his team, Opti decides he is going to head home and sleep, waiting for a call back from Cangene. A quick text to the rest of the team puts him on standby"

Chummers, we went bust at Cangene. I assume you guys don't need us, so I am gonna have Stuntman drop me off, and grab some Z's while we wait to hear back from someone at Cangene. If you happen to need ANYTHING, my comm is on at all times. - Opti

Opti is feeling crappy following his deepweed hangover, and so, grateful to Stuntman for the dropoff, Opti wastes no time in hitting the pillow and fades into sleep.
TheOneRonin
30 watches the Lone Star vehicle drive off with Hosepipe in the back.

Sometimes you gotta know when to call it...

He taps out a message on his 'link and sends it to whole team.

<<Lone Start just escorted Hosepipe off the premises, but by what I heard, his cover is still intact.
Seems to me like we need to call it a night and regroup tomorrow.
What's the word?>>
PraetorGradivus
<<Bus Stop>>

That went well. What a waste of humanity this is.
There's a woman in the night with a baby in her hand under an old street light near a garbage can. Now she putting the kid away, and she's getting a hit of cram.
That's one more kid that will never go to school, never going to fall in love, just a lost soul in a lost world.

There's a man at the liquor store begging for change The hair on his face is dirty, dread-locked, and full of mange. He asks a man for what he could spare, with shame in his eyes. "Get a job, you fucking slob," is all he replies.
God forbid, you ever had to walk a mile in his shoes. Am I any better, it's not like I'm walking across the street and giving him my nuyen. How does it go- life is ever, since man was born, licking honey from a thorn. Geez, must be time for some antidepressants..

Hosepipe turns on a tune from his music collection and starts singing, Personal Jesus. He ignores the stares he's receiving.
Umidori
<<Cerus>>

Despite the tension in the air as Hosepipe has his little chat with the Bronze, Slick can't help but double over, laughing silently.

Jee-zuz! These cats really are clueless, ain't they? Ah, well, guess it's up to ol' Slick to herd them a bit. Least 30 here knows how to hide his ass.

He glances over at the merc's hiding spot and grins, struck by the absurdity of their situation.

Well, whatever. No skin off my nose, eh? Had dinner, took a drive, took a walk... it's been a regular ol' night out with the guys, ain't it? Maybe tomorrow we can actually get things done properly.

A notification blips on Slick's commlink as Hosepipe is being trundled away. He reads 30's message with quiet amusement, then fires off a response.

<<Yeah, I think maybe whoever thought to do this now had a bit too much to drink earlier, but whatever. Let's call it, regroup, and actually plan something next.

With the coast seemingly clear for now, Slick slips out of his hiding spot and meanders over to 30's.

And if Hosepipe doesn't make it back from his little ride, I guess that means a 25% payraise. Not bad.

And although this time no one can see it, Slick once again puts on the sort of grin that makes people want to punch it. But maybe the universe will end up doing that for them.
Lowmoan Spectacular
Rolling away from Opti's place, Danny stops a couple of blocks away. The team sends a cluster of messages, all of which mostly have a single takeaway theme.

We fucking suck at this.

Danny takes a few deep, calming breaths, before laughing quietly, unconvincingly to himself.

This is my shot. This job proves that I'm not just a wheelman, that I'm the badass superspy 'runner that gets the job done. And we're fucking around!

A fit of self loathing blindsides him. He pounds the featureless dashboard with his real left hand a couple of times in frustration. The action does little to calm him, and his metallic right hand joins in instinctively. The metal limb leaves a long, white gash on the panneling.

"Ah fuck, ah man."

Danny licks his real thumb and rubs the length of the scratch, making it immediately less noticable. The fire behind his eyes goes out, and he leans back in his seat, realizing at last how late it really is. He opens a frequency to Hosepipe.

<<Be there in a sec, ol' buddy.>>

A few minutes later, Danny pulls up to the dingy bus stop. It's not the best part of town. He feels as if he could be shot at any moment, as a matter of course rather than for some particular offence. Another deep breath, a big smile, and Danny opens the passenger door for Hosepipe.

"Not the most auspicious of beginnings, huh? Don't let it get you down! Tomorrow's a new day, killer."

<<I've got Hosepipe, dropping him home. Let's reconvene nice and early, and take a better shot at this. I know a donut place near the CAS border.>>
PraetorGradivus
Hosepipe asks Stuntman to drop him off at the Melbourne.

Nothing reeks quite like home than a coffin motel.

Hosepipe chuckles to himself.

A little sleep and we get cracking in the morning. I'm missing something- I just know it. Shut up brain and let me go to sleep.

Sleep is a long time coming.

Morning comes and Hosepipe messages Raul.
<<Buddy, can you find me an apartment that's up to snuff. Preferably Yakuza territory... those guys you can count on to protect your house if you pay the 'fees' not like some of the GoGangers I know. Lazy ass fraggers.>>

He then pulls himself together, gathers his stuff and heads off to the donut shop.
Lobo0705
<<Ida's Doughnut Shop, 85 Main Street, near the CAS Sec border 0930>>

Ida's shop is a throwback to a bygone era - calling back to the early days of the 21st century. Ida and her husband, Carl run the place, and have ever since they built it back in '42.

Although dated, the decor is tasteful, and the couple keep it spic and span - a thoroughly enjoyable place to have a cup of soykaf and a doughnut.

As Hosepipe walks in the door, Ida, a slightly overweight woman in her late 50's greets him.

"Come on in and have a seat honey - any one that's free"

There are about 10 tables in the shop, 3 of which are free, one of them in the corner - a booth large enough for the 5.
PraetorGradivus

<<Ida's Doughnut Shop, 85 Main Street, near the CAS Sec border 0930>>

Hosepipe sits in the booth and orders a soykaf and a frosted synthchocolate donut.

He reminisces as he awaits the team.

What was Aunt Ida's husbands name. Can't remember. Idiot ran off was a 23 year old when he was close to 70 sticking us with another mouth to feed when we barely had enough for ourselves. Frag, it wasn't even that we was poor- Aunt Ida was one old bitter pain in the ass. She wasn't happy unless she was complaining. And she had the shakes- too much peyote in her lifetime and not enough nuyen to feed the habit. Perdro, Pablo- what was that old man's name... for dragon's sake, I was a teenager not a baby when he left. I should be able to remember his name. Maybe if I had to deal with Aunt Ida for close to forty years, I would have ran off too. Shut up brain and start working on the job at hand.

Hosepipe starts humming Folsam Prison Blues as he waits.
Opti
Feed the rage in your heart
Till it's ready to blister.
Now put your gun in your hand
And TAKE IT TO MISTER!

Opti wakes up with an old song in his head, one of his favorites. He feels much much better than he did when Stuntman dropped him off. Noting the place where they are meeting up this morning, he gets excited. Donuts! Freshening up just a bit, he grabs his hat, but leaves the coat on the chair. A brisk drive will sharpen his senses.

Arriving at the donut shop, he spies Hosepipe near the back. He picks out and pays for 5 cream filled chocolate donuts and a tall soykaf before heading back. He shoves a donut into his mouth as he sits down across from the rather grim looking Amerind.

"Hey shummer. Worghhg shuur shuckked lash nigh, neh?

PraetorGradivus
"You said it, brother. We got to figure the angle on this one but we should wait for the rest of the guys"

Hosepipe looks up at the menuboard hoping to find bagels listed.
TheOneRonin
<<Cerus>>

30 shakes his head at Slick's shit-eating grin.

"Well Slick, looks like we're done here for now. I'm gonna hail a cab and evac the AO.

We can regroup tomorrow."

30 pulls up a map of the area on his 'link, selects an address about 3 blocks away, and calls a cab to pick him up at that location and take him back to The Augusta so he can pick up his bike and drive home.

In the cab ride back to his bike, 30 spots Danny's rendezvous instructions, and saves them for the next day.

<<Ida's Doughnut Shop, 85 Main Street, near the CAS Sec border 0940>>

30 idles his bike to a parking spot outside the doughnut shop.

What a shit-hole. Security nightmare too. Single entrance, lots of glass, no real cover. Glad this is just a planning session.

30 winces in pain for an instant as he gets off his bike. His damage compensators fire off, dulling the joint pain down to a low throb. He pulls a nondescript cylindrical container from his jacket pocket and pops open the top.

Just 4 left? Fuck. Mental Note, visit the street pharmacy before doing anything strenuous.

He pops two pills, replaces the cylinder in his jacket and walks into the doughnut shop.

Opti and Hosepipe are already there, sitting in a large booth in the back of the restaurant.

30 gets a drink from the counter and takes a seat with his team.

As soon as he sits down, the booth gets dead quiet as Hosepipe and Opti drop their conversation and fix their gaze on his beverage.

The rough merc paints quite a picture, hunching over his dainty whip cream covered sugar-kaf drink.

"What? You two never seen a double-mocha-chip soy-frap with cream before?"

Lowmoan Spectacular
Danny pushes his way through the entrance of Ida's, appreciating the familiar resistance of the sticky door and the tinkling of the little bell attached to it. Ida herself makes eye contact and smiles.

"The usual, Danny boy?"

"You know it."

He slips into the booth in the back, next to Opti. For a moment, he puts his hand up to his sunglasses with the intention of removing them, but he reconsiders.

Maybe a bit too much to drink last night. Ah hell, no such thing. We all drink until our cares are gone, for some it just takes longer than others.

Everything from his bearing to his clothes suggest a much relaxed emphasis on professionalism. He was dressed like a yuppie from about five years ago, pastel blue shirt with a tall, non-folding collar and a neckerchief. He slouches a little, and the hand which had explored his sunglasses now migrates to his temple, which he rubs absentmindedly. As he settles in, Ida comes by with his "usual"; an apple fritter, three doughnut holes, and a soykaf. He smiles winningly at her.

"Ida, you're so good to me. When are you gonna let me take you away from all this?"

"Ah Danny, staaaahp. I'm a married woman!"

She winks and goes back to the counter. Danny shakes his head, his eyes rolling behind his shades. He pops a doughnut hole into his mouth, nearly swallows it whole. Opti's face is full of doughnut, Hosepipe wears his apparently permanent sour expression, and The Number hunkers over his liquid sugar-cube.

"Good to see your bright and shining faces, chummers."
TheOneRonin
30 takes a long draw from his soy-frap and closes his eyes as he lets the flavor wash over his palette.

Mmmmmmm. If there is one thing Denver does right, it's soy-fraps.

After his personal moment has passed, 30 shifts his gaze to Danny and Opti.

"You guys have any luck last night?"
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012