Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Can Commlinks Use Programs?
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
saiyanslayer
Did a quick search, couldn't find anything related to the topic.

Can a commlink use programs? Does anyone have a page reference?
Jack VII
Strictly going RAW, no.

From the programs description: "Programs (technically cybeprograms if they’re for the Matrix) are files you can run on your deck."

While it doesn't say "only," there is nothing in the description of the commlink in the equipment section that indicates they can run programs. Specifically, the commlink chart doesn't have a "Programs" column.

With that said, I think there is nothing damaging in allowing commlinks to run Basic Programs and providing a rule of thumb that Program slots = Device Rating (as it works for decks) or maybe Device Rating/2 just to point out how much more powerful decks are supposed to be.
saiyanslayer
Awesome, thanks. That's the best I could find as well.
BlackJaw
No program capacity by RAW.
QUOTE (Page 221)
A commlink is combination computer, smartphone, media player, passport, wallet, credit card, Matrix brows- er, chip reader, GPS navigator, digital camera, and por- table gaming device. And possibly a few other things, if you’ve got a really nice one. It’s got all of the necessary software already loaded, but unlike a cyberdeck it has no space for cyberprograms or other hacking tools.

Personally, I think Commlinks could probably run half their device rating just like Drones. Page 269: "A drone has a number of slots to use for autosofts and cyberprograms equal to half its Device Rating, rounded up." I would, however, limit Commlinks to only the "Common" cyberprograms and disallow all the Hacker ones.

However, the RAW says none.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012