Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Attribute Boost + Push the Limit
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
sn0mm1s
Could an adept use Edge for Push the Limit to go above the augmented attribute maximum using the Attribute Boost power?
Linkdeath
Well, that's sort of the point of using Edge, really, to pull out the borderline miraculous. However, those Edge points get spent and don't automatically come back unless the GM says so, so I wouldn't use that as a reliable way to boost your stats. After all, the Edge dice only work for one specific roll of the dice. If it's an ongoing test, you're going to have to keep spending Edge and even the luckiest Human alive isn't going to get to do that more than 8 times before they're all out of Edge (and screwed the next time they're about to die) until their Edge replenishes.
Dolanar
As far as I'm aware, no, your Augmented maximum is the max period.
DrZaius
QUOTE (Dolanar @ Aug 26 2013, 04:54 PM) *
As far as I'm aware, no, your Augmented maximum is the max period.

I seem to recall a dev talking about going over your augmented maximum using drugs, so I'm not sure it's so cut and dried.

-DrZ
Jaid
no. edge lets you exceed limits. your augmented attribute cap is not a limit (in this case, there actually probably isn't a limit since there isn't a skill involved, although it's possible they just forgot to state a limit). you can still generate as many hits as you like (and that will help you make it last longer), with or without edge... but your attribute will not go above your augmented maximum.
Chrome Head
For the record, the RAW says that it is not only up to the GM to decide when edge is regained. You regain 1 point automatically if you get a good meal and at least 8 hours of sleep.
Sendaz
sadly ratburgers do not count toward the good food requirement. frown.gif

at least not without marinading it first and served with a beer.
FuelDrop
QUOTE (Sendaz @ Aug 27 2013, 09:23 AM) *
sadly ratburgers do not count toward the good food requirement. frown.gif

at least not without marinading it first and served with a beer.

Any suggestions for the marinade?
Does synth-beer count as a marinade?
Sendaz
QUOTE (FuelDrop @ Aug 26 2013, 09:30 PM) *
Any suggestions for the marinade?
Does synth-beer count as a marinade?

A good synthbeer marinade is fairly simple.

Gonna need synthbeer, some plant oil, salt and whatever seasonings or spices you happen to have on hand. I recommend a good 5 spice blend for variety but you use what you can get.

Poke the rat meat a few times with a fork or blade tip to allow the marinade to be able to really soak in.

Mix one part synthbeer to 3 parts oil, using around a shot glass or two of the beer.

Add in the seasonings and salt to taste, throw the meat and marinade into a bag or other container, seal for 24 hours to really let the acidity of the synthbeer soften the meat while the oil keeps it moist and the seasonings and salt bring out the flavour.

If in a rush, soak for at least 1-2 hours and then cook.

Dispose of the unused marinade unless you boil it up for a good few minutes to sterilize it. Remember -- No boil, get buried in the soil.

Fry the meat to taste and pop a fresh synthbeer to wash it all down.

And that is ParaCooking with Sendaz.
Giabralter
QUOTE (Sendaz @ Aug 27 2013, 02:59 AM) *
A good synthbeer marinade is fairly simple.

Gonna need synthbeer, some plant oil, salt and whatever seasonings or spices you happen to have on hand. I recommend a good 5 spice blend for variety but you use what you can get.

Poke the rat meat a few times with a fork or blade tip to allow the marinade to be able to really soak in.

Mix one part synthbeer to 3 parts oil, using around a shot glass or two of the beer.

Add in the seasonings and salt to taste, throw the meat and marinade into a bag or other container, seal for 24 hours to really let the acidity of the synthbeer soften the meat while the oil keeps it moist and the seasonings and salt bring out the flavour.

If in a rush, soak for at least 1-2 hours and then cook.

Dispose of the unused marinade unless you boil it up for a good few minutes to sterilize it. Remember -- No boil, get buried in the soil.

Fry the meat to taste and pop a fresh synthbeer to wash it all down.

And that is ParaCooking with Sendaz.

I'd go with a German beer or microbrew instead of synth (see parabotany).
Sendaz
QUOTE (Giabralter @ Aug 26 2013, 09:28 PM) *
I'd go with a German beer or microbrew instead of synth (see parabotany).

Aye an individual of refined taste! smile.gif

Yes, the imported brewed items certainly make a better marinade but when one is on a budget or limited access to the finer things you make due with what you have as FD was asking.
DrZaius
From the thread "Augmented maximums and drugs"

QUOTE (Patrick Goodman @ Aug 9 2013, 09:12 AM) *
...I can only speak to authorial intent, but this mirrors discussions with other writers in the development stage.

"First: if I already have my attribute at it's augmented maximum, does a drug have any effect, or is that the limit of that race's physiology? I.e. does a human with a modified strength of 10 become effective strength 12 when he is on kamikaze? I guess some clarity around "Augmentation" vs. "Effect" would be useful."

Yep. The drugs were meant to be scary in their effects, and were meant to be able to (temporarily, at some sort of cost) make you into a monster. So yeah, your modified human would be sporting a 12 STR while on the drug. At least that's what I had in mind.

So, from that reading I'd say there are specific circumstances where your attributes can (temporarily) exceed the augmented maximum. However, from re-reading "Push the limit", I'm not sure. I read "This use of Edge also allows you to ignore any limit on your test." as referring to limits related to dice pools (i.e. Mental, Physical, etc.) rather than the "limits" of your total attribute.

Attribute Boost reads:
"Each hit on this test boosts your attribute rating by 1, up to your augmented Attribute maximum[emphasis mine]. This only affects your dice pools; your Physical limit and Initiative ratings don’t change with Attribute Boost. The boost lasts for a number of Combat Turns equal to twice the number of hits you get. When the boost runs out, you take Drain equal to the level of this power."

As a GM, I would rule that you could boost your attribute up to your augmented maximum using that power and no higher. HOWEVER, I would also rule it lasted a number of combat turns equal to twice the total number of ALL the hits you got- including the ones gained through the rule of 6 using edge. So, you can only have so high a strength or agility, but you can have it a LONG time.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012