Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Flaws & Edges!
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Topper28
Hep!!

Is there a complete list of flaws & edges somewhere?

And maybe how the flaws & edges system works?

A Clockwork Lime
Yep, Shadowrun Companion revised for 3rd Edition lists almost all of the legal ones in the game. Cannon Companion includes an Ambidexterity edge and Matrix includes the Matrix Addiction flaw. I think that's about all of them. The Companion goes into detail about how they work, too.
Kagetenshi
Technically, no, I don't think there is. However, as the Lime pointed out, nearly everything is in the Shadowrun Companion.

~J
Kakkaraun
QUOTE (Topper28)
And maybe how the flaws & edges system works?

Huh? Just...huh?
Smiley
Look. He doesn't know, he obviously doesn't have the book, so how the hell else is he going to find out if he doesn't ask?
A Clockwork Lime
That's why I referenced the books he needs.
Smiley
That one wasn't directed at you, Lime.
Fresno Bob
No opportunity to be a jerk here, Kakkaraun!

Flaws are bad qualities to your character. Like, colorblindness. Edges are good things, like the ability to keep perfect time. Each one gives a plus or minus based on how detrimental/beneficial it is.

In a build point system, edges take away build points, flaws give more. In priority system, the pluses have to balance the minuses.

But yeah, read the 3rd edition companion.
Kakkaraun
QUOTE (Smiley)
Look. He doesn't know, he obviously doesn't have the book, so how the hell else is he going to find out if he doesn't ask?

Okay. In that case, can someone post the rules for SURGE for me? I mean, I don't have the book. And hell, while you're at it, gimme the full text of Harlequin, I've always wanted to run that. I'm a bit tapped out at the moment, maybe somebody could go around and systematically burgle the homes of everyone who works for Fanpro and then send me the money?

wink.gif
Smiley
So... if you don't own the books, you don't deserve to know? He asked a simple question, easily answered with a brief, 4 line summary from Voorhees. He didn't ask 'the full text of Harlequin.' So give it a rest.

If this isn't an information-sharing website, then what the hell is it?
Kakkaraun
You know, I don't really care if you share game information, because I know very few IRL gaming groups that own more than one copy of a given book between them. I was just surprised that someone would have the balls to ask for the "rules" (not just the basic concept, but the "rules") behind them, on this forum.
Smiley
Oh, you mean like asking how to deal with an astral signature? Or asking some questions about the timeline? Maybe asking about a code of honor flaw? Asking about the masking rules, the bonus attribute point, or getting help designing a spell between makeover and healthy glow?
Kakkaraun
That's asking for help with interpretation, not asking for "rules." Christ, chill out. Don't have a seizure.
Moonwolf
Err, he asked "how they work", which is what he got told. He didn't ask "Can you list them with the full section in the book about them" or anything. What you're saying is if someone has had Shadowrun briefly described to them, and then came here to get a bit more detail before deciding to buy it or not, we shouldn't tell them anything, 'cause it'd be giving out the rules.
Capt. Dave
To add to Vorhees's post:

Usual maximum Edge/Flaw points is 6, sometimes 8.
For example:

Perfect Time +1 Edge
Combat Monster -1 Flaw

Each edge costs 1 build point, each flaw gives you an extra build point to spend.
An edge can be balanced out with a flaw(s) of equal value. (see above)

Companion is a great book to have besides Edges/Flaws, as it introduces the Build point system, expands optional rules, introduces new metatypes, as well as ghouls and shapeshifters, and helps in character generation.
Fresno Bob
Its not like edges and flaws are unique to Shadowrun, either. They're in a lot of systems, and work more or less the same way in all of them.
Topper28
Hmm!! So this is what I got warned about when I joined you guys. I guess I have to be extremely specific in my questions not to be misunderstood. I do see Kakkaraun`s point about giving out entire systems,....but dude!!!!??? Come on!! This is a give and take forum. You donīt expect us just to help you out, and then you do nothing in return. Itīs called Karma, (I believe it works in real life too)

Just to clear this out. (Maybe I wasnīt clear enough to begin with) I wasnīt looking for someone to describe the flaws & edges system, in a matter that all rules should be revealed. I was simply looking for a basic description of how the system works. Is it a point system, where you allocate points? Do you use karma to gain and edge? That kinda thing. If I want the complete rules, I buy the book. (Which I just did 5 minutes ago)

I thought, that someone might have put a list together with some home-made flaws & edges. Something they might wanna share with the public.

(Maybe we need to take a moment and chill out before we go out and split wigs using only our inner frustrations as a target number)

That was meant for you Kakkaraun!! love.gif

A Clockwork Lime
Homemade edges and flaws are easy to find.

And like Vorhees said, it's a point-based system where, depending on the generation system you're using, Edges cost points and Flaws give them back. Karma can be used to pay off a Flaw but you only gain an Edge when the GM sees fit.
GreatChicken
Plus, the character generation program NSRCG has a complete list of them (although it doesn't really explain fully what the edge/flaw does). It's not an accurate character generator, but it's potential for quickref is pretty good.

*WARNING* The latest version works well on my PC, but my friend was forced to reformat his after he installed. This proggie is hereby labeled 'unstable'. Your mileage may vary; when in doubt, get the older version SRCG which doesn't rely so much on VB coding.
mcmackie
QUOTE (GreatChicken @ Apr 30 2004, 02:00 AM)
Plus, the character generation program NSRCG has a complete list of them (although it doesn't really explain fully what the edge/flaw does). It's not an accurate character generator, but it's potential for quickref is pretty good.

*WARNING* The latest version works well on my PC, but my friend was forced to reformat his after he installed. This proggie is hereby labeled 'unstable'. Your mileage may vary; when in doubt, get the older version SRCG which doesn't rely so much on VB coding.

Would you please submit the details to me? There is no reason why the program would corrupt your friend's system. It makes only one entry in your registry for a OCX control ARProgBar.OCX. It uses an 'old' INI file so that settings never touch your registry for this information. Other than that it uses the usual MS VB DLLs and such. In other words, there should be NO WAY it would force a reformat frown.gif
I've had lots of installations (for over two years) and this is the first report of any causing a machine to need a reinstallation.
As for the inaccuracies, please report them so that I can correct the program. In the event I cannot, I will generate a list so that GMs can search for them. I get this constant criticism based on the original program (and subsequent versions) but nobody (except those reporting bugs) is actually telling what's broken. I respond to all emails (so far).
Given the inconsistent rules structures ("its this way except when you do/add this or..."(see Shapeshifters)), I'm surprised that it works as well as it does. Yes you can find thngs that are wrong (costs, etc) but given how large and complex SR is, I cannot find/fix them without help.
I find those that critisize it the most are those who insist on a complete knowledge of the SR chargen rules before one is allowed to set pencil to paper. NSRG allows for newbies to make absolutely horrrific characters with no gameplay balance and completely unbelievable backgrounds (my favorite example is how everybody's relations have all died, no brothers, no sisters, no father, etc .. no hooks).
Please blame to tool ... educate the users. Is this equivalent to gun control where the belief that banning guns will reduce violence? biggrin.gif
Sorry for the venting but thank you for your attention.
Kagetenshi
A perfect analogy. I don't think that people should need complete knowledge before using the NSRCG, but I think they should know the basic rules and be using their books more than the program. It's not your fault, it's a problem in the end-users. You've done a rather impressive job making a tool, and you deserve credit for that, but I shudder every time a new user who may or may not have finished reading the BBB even is directed to it.

~J
TinkerGnome
Truth be told, if you could use the generation program without books or extensive knowledge... lots of people wouldn't need the books. And that's counter productive to the hobby.
GreatChicken
Pfft. Sorry. Didn't mean to offend you. eek.gif

The reformat problem:
Apparently has something to do with Microsoft VB, which you used on this program. My copy worked pretty well. My friend, however, had all his microsoft applications die on him immediately after installation. Although his MS office apps can still startup, he can't save, copy and paste. In explorer, this is also the case, and new files don't show up. Even after a restart. I suspect the VB runtime file you supplied conflicted with something somehow, but I'm doing his tech support online and not at his home, so I can't be sure. Come to think of it, maybe I shouldn't blame your program for this....I should blame Microsoft. sleepy.gif

As for inaccuraccies:
1. When constructing under point system, the edge/flaw difference always defaults to 0 no matter what's in the list. Note that the points doesn't increase or decrease when you pick and edge/flaw; it still stays at 100/100 (100 being the max number I set for point buy)...although it won't let me purchase an edge at 100. You can even go to the next function and the proggie wouldn't know the difference. It works perfectly fine in normal priority mode, tho it doesn't let the difference be anything other than a 0.....

2. Gun ammunition purchasing is rather clunky. Some ammunition comes only in singles. It's not very user friendly to force someone to clutter the Gear list with multiple copies of 1 bullet type. It also doesn't really support guns with ammo caps that aren't in multiples of 10 (like certain SMGs having 32, 37 and the like) Yes, I know that I can add the records myself using the dat editor, but still, it's mildly unsettling. I recommend trying this instead: lump all the gun ammunition into one section, then when a user chooses the ammunition type, he can also enter parameters (such as quantity, for what type of gun, ammo loading method). An 'ok' button would add <this quantity> of bullets, under a single listing, to the gear list (it's possible to purchase multiple 'clips' using this method too). I don't know if this is possible, but it's a method to think about. You can also use the same system for Missiles, Grenades et al, but since it's not very likely someone would purchase them in _that big a bulk_, it's not really necessary.

I do have the rulebooks; just that I need someone to do the number crunching for me, and that I'm too lazy to go flip them just to search for <this value>.

Oh, and one more thing....
Truth be told, if you could use the generation program without books or extensive knowledge... lots of people wouldn't need the books. And that's counter productive to the hobby.

While I admit that I AM a newbie myself, anyone who hasn't read the books won't complain about inaccuracies. Besides, the descriptions are just basic stats and contain no frills and descriptions at all. e.g To a complete newbie using this, the 'used' trait for Cyberware just halves cost; unless they have Man and Machine, they would find something else. Anyone who uses this STILL needs the book to some extent.
Herald of Verjigorm
QUOTE (GreatChicken @ Apr 30 2004, 10:59 AM)
2. Gun ammunition purchasing is rather clunky. Some ammunition comes only in singles. It's not very user friendly to force someone to clutter the Gear list with multiple copies of 1 bullet type.

Have you noticed that little number below the equipment description? Pick a sigle bullet, set that number to 50, hit buy, you have one entry stating that it is 50 bullets.

Using it to track in-game ammo use is annoying though, if a feature was added to reduce the count of items it would help.
GreatChicken
Holy...I must be blind! eek.gif
I feel sheepish. *slaps self on forehead* sleepy.gif
mcmackie
Okay, I understand.
Regarding the gun ammo, what version do you have? The current version number is 3.65 (click options, you'll see it at the bottom). Current version (thanks people who made DAT entries) supports clips of appropriate ammo type. Also, you'll notice a quantity field next to the ADD button. chenge the number and it will place a "[XX] item name" where the xx represents the quantity. (Somebody already got this, need to improve QCK!)
I've checked the edge/flaw bug you mentioned and it works correctly in the current version. Yes, the "100/100" will remain but you'll notice your skills count changing (to represent the point difference).
If you'll look the "Projects Forum" on the main page, you'll find a topic specifically for NSRCG bugs, fixes, and tips. Thanks smile.gif
TinkerGnome
QUOTE (GreatChicken @ Apr 30 2004, 11:59 AM)
QUOTE (Tinkergnome)

While I admit that I AM a newbie myself, anyone who hasn't read the books won't complain about inaccuracies. Besides, the descriptions are just basic stats and contain no frills and descriptions at all. e.g To a complete newbie using this, the 'used' trait for Cyberware just halves cost; unless they have Man and Machine, they would find something else. Anyone who uses this STILL needs the book to some extent.

I wasn't targeting anyone with that statement specificly. Rather, that is the reason why the character design programs tend not to be quite as well developed as they could otherwise be. In theory, it's possible to write a program so thorough that you'll never need the rulebooks before the game starts. It's just important to realize the unintended consequences of doing so.
Kakkaraun
Topper, in that case, I misunderstood you. My apologies.
Topper28
No problem man! smile.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012