Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Stargates
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Stormdrake
Just batting around ideas for a divergent history/story line for Shadowrun. If Stargates existed in Shadowrun as written the corporations would of course be doing every thing they could to control the gates. The gates would allow mages to travel to other worlds because the wormhole travel is almost instantaneous. The gates of course operate off of magic so in the low magic period the gates would appear as nothing but ancient structures. With the return of magic the gates become active sporadically again and this would lend itself to all sorts of new critters being introduced that had nothing to do with earths evolution and could explain where the dragons came from and avoid the whole they some how managed to travel from Mars theory. Silly idea but sometimes can't help but think how some scifi series could fit into the Shadowrun world.
grid.samurai
Not a bad idea. Definitely on the higher end of the fantasy spectrum (not that that's a bad thing). A spin on this would be that if the gates activated without the aid of metahumanity at all. Due to the cycle of magic hitting an upswing, a once inactive portal turns on and things start coming through again.
SpellBinder
I'd suggest reading up on alchera, as that's an in-game thing that can actually let people physically traverse from one plane to another.

IIRC it's also a phenomenon that caused L.A. to be flooded.
Tanegar
QUOTE (Stormdrake @ Sep 5 2013, 10:28 PM) *
explain where the dragons came from and avoid the whole they some how managed to travel from Mars theory

Er, what? Who theorized that dragons came from Mars?
CanRay
"Sir, the Teleporter started working."

"The, teleporter. The item that doesn't obey the laws of physics or thaumaturgy as we understand them? At all?"

"Yes, sir! Is it not wonderful???"

"I'm wondering who turned it on. Doorways have two sides after all."

"Oh... Um... SECURITY!!!"
Stormdrake
traveling the planes is one thing I am looking at traveling to other planets. I did like the explanation for how LA got flooded though. The theory that dragons are from Mars got started "I think" with the Evo mars base. Some comment about finding dragon bones?
SpellBinder
Well, something that is used in several realms of sci-fi is interdimensional travel for incredibly long distances. Andromeda, Warhammer 40,000, Star Wars, Star Trek even, Hitchhiker's Guide To The Galaxy, X-Men, all of them at least at some point (if not constantly) have some kind of trans-dimensional travel bit to them.

In the Denver mission "A Very Bad Day" has the runners making a short interdimensional hop through a metaplane by going in via the roof of one building and coming back out in the middle of another.

Essentially you leave our plane of existence, travel through another a short ways, and pop back out into our plane again an exponential amount of distance away.
Dolanar
many of those use the theory of Folding space, but it does sound like an interesting idea.
RHat
Hm... An interplanetary portal that doesn't operate according to any known laws of physics or thaumaturgy... Could be interesting as a sort of fusion of tech, Magic, and Resonance.

One possible storyline - someone other than the Big players gets a hold of it, and works as hard as they can to keep it under wraps so that no one else tries to take it away from them.
Dolanar
private military group looking to make a name in the AAA market
RHat
QUOTE (Dolanar @ Sep 6 2013, 12:55 AM) *
private military group looking to make a name in the AAA market

I feel like a more interesting storyline would be someone out to change the power dynamics.
Sendaz
QUOTE (Tanegar @ Sep 5 2013, 10:54 PM) *
Er, what? Who theorized that dragons came from Mars?
It's probably from that relationship book
'Elves are from Venus, Dragons are from Mars'

Joking aside, I do like the Alchera/Stargate idea and have been toying with some alternate ideas. One of the things I never liked was how all the metahumans basically got compacted into Humans during the low cycle.

Having access to alternate worlds can mean that the metahumans could be alternate evolutions from different realms, sort of like Palladium RIFTS and that some have been slipping through. The IE have always been here, trapped while the low mana cut them off from their home base so to speak.

The Long Earth stories use a potato powered dimensional hopper to go to alternate earths that reside next to us dimensionally speaking. The possibilities for exploiting land over and over is a bit overboard in that one, but still can give a springboard for ideas.

Voran
Man I'd pity the Goauld that run into Magical SG-1.
RHat
And I'd pity all the rest of the SG teams that ran into actual magical Goa'uld.
Dolanar
I pity the first time they run into a Sword or Punch Adept
Makki
you should into Eclipse Phase RPG, especially the Gatecrashing source book.
It's not too difficult to convert EP stuff into SR, it's actually quite similar.
Sendaz
QUOTE (Makki @ Sep 6 2013, 05:14 AM) *
you should into Eclipse Phase RPG, especially the Gatecrashing source book.
It's not too difficult to convert EP stuff into SR, it's actually quite similar.

Sounds interesting and I saw that a few of folk who have written for SR in the past have a hand in this as well.

Will have to look at it when I get some free time. smile.gif

Thanks for the tip.
FuelDrop
QUOTE (RHat @ Sep 6 2013, 04:53 PM) *
And I'd pity all the rest of the SG teams that ran into actual magical Goa'uld.

Season 9-10, Priors of the Auri. Man those guys were dang tough.
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (Sendaz @ Sep 6 2013, 12:04 AM) *
The Long Earth stories use a potato powered dimensional hopper to go to alternate earths that reside next to us dimensionally speaking. The possibilities for exploiting land over and over is a bit overboard in that one, but still can give a springboard for ideas.

See, I KNEW there were more uses for the simple Potato. wink.gif
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (Sendaz @ Sep 6 2013, 02:38 AM) *
Sounds interesting and I saw that a few of folk who have written for SR in the past have a hand in this as well.

Will have to look at it when I get some free time. smile.gif

Thanks for the tip.

Eclipse Phase has some amazing Ideas... smile.gif
Mantis
The idea of dragons from or on Mars comes from the SR3 Missions adventure, specifically Mission: Mars, which features some pics of what appears to be dragon bones.
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (Mantis @ Sep 6 2013, 01:14 PM) *
The idea of dragons from or on Mars comes from the SR3 Missions adventure, specifically Mission: Mars, which features some pics of what appears to be dragon bones.

Which is entertaining, since that same Idea/Rumor (as well as Pyramids being discovered on Mars) also existed for the Immortals Game Line by Precedence Games... cool.gif
CanRay
*Translated from Spanish*

"OK, the last symbol has locked into place. El Jefe, the mic is yours."

"Come forward slowly and speak your intentions!"

*Frail form comes forward and smiles in a human manner, speaking in perfect Spanish* "I bring you LOVE!"

"OPEN FIRE!!!"

And that, children, is how Aztechnology handles invaders. nyahnyah.gif
Stormdrake
Will have to take a look at Eclipse Phase. Am always interested in ways to Add to the cannon history/world. In 4th when they had all the gene slicing stuff added "tanks" from "space: above and beyond." For those who never saw the series, tanks were vat grown humans to be used as cannon fodder in global conflicts.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012