Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Gene tech/splicing
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Stormdrake
So the gene tech in 4th edition allowed me to introduce such things as "tanks" from "space: above and beyond." For those who have no idea what they were or what that series was "tanks" we're vat grown humans specifically designed as cannon fodder for international wars. If they survived their service they could earn their freedom but were treated as 2nd class citizens. This fit into the Shadowrun world very nicely and gave every one another race to treat even worse then the orcs.

So does anyone know why they decided to recon gene tech out of the game or was that just a rumor?
Epicedion
If you're already inventing things for the game world, what's the problem?
Xtreme Newbie
Where exactly can i find this in shadowrun 4e? I've never heard of this before
Rubic
QUOTE (Xtreme Newbie @ Sep 7 2013, 04:48 PM) *
Where exactly can i find this in shadowrun 4e? I've never heard of this before

Augmentation had gene tech. The "Tanks" are something he added from another source to his game.
Stormdrake
Not worried about, just wondering at their thought process. Was the addition of gene tech taking the game to far away from the cyberware feel? I understand why they removed/retconned Nanotech. The thing was too easily abused and as written had the potential to be a game breaker. Yes, I may house rule gene tech back in for 5th edition but simply use it for the production of NPC corporate cannon fodder.
Sendaz
Well we did have one crazy doc who spliced gecko and monkey genes into a rockerboy who was looking for that edge to take him to the top.

With an extendable tongue and apish charms he is fast climbing the charts...

His name?

Gene Simians biggrin.gif
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (Sendaz @ Sep 7 2013, 03:29 PM) *
Well we did have one crazy doc who spliced gecko and monkey genes into a rockerboy who was looking for that edge to take him to the top.

With an extendable tongue and apish charms he is fast climbing the charts...

His name?

Gene Simians biggrin.gif

*hangs head* You have absolutely no shame, do you? eek.gif
FuelDrop
QUOTE (Tymeaus Jalynsfein @ Sep 8 2013, 06:23 AM) *

What is this 'shame' of which you speak? Can you eat it?
Wakshaani
Nanotech's not been Retconned, just facing a 'Nanopocalypse" of sorts.

I've not seen any mention of Genetech issues whatsoever, other than the failing of Leonization.

I'd say the best course of action would be to wait for the eventual Augmentation-style book and see what's cooking.
Slithery D
In Storm Front Fastjack's alter ego wanted him to get a nanohive AND a certain gene mod to complete/accelerate the take over of his mind. That and freelancer (?) chatter over the last few months indicates that both are getting pulled back.
Bull
Pulled back, but not necessarily removed entirely.

Also keep in mind, so far we only have the core rulebook out. We don't know what is up with the plot behind Fastjack yet, and we don't have any expansion material. Until then, not worth panicking.
Stormdrake
No panic, just curious about some comments to that point that may have been taken out of content.
Sendaz
QUOTE (Tymeaus Jalynsfein @ Sep 7 2013, 06:23 PM) *

Not if it means the band is getting a reboot for KISS 2075 nyahnyah.gif

now just need to figure out the others. wink.gif

Figure a Cat Shaman, A free spirit and a cyberzombie to start, but may need tweaking.
Fiddler
I made this half pony half monkey monster to please you.
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (Sendaz @ Sep 8 2013, 01:25 AM) *
Not if it means the band is getting a reboot for KISS 2075 nyahnyah.gif

now just need to figure out the others. wink.gif

Figure a Cat Shaman, A free spirit and a cyberzombie to start, but may need tweaking.

Well, if you are rebuilding the whole Band for the 2075 tour, than by all means... ohplease.gif eek.gif ohplease.gif
Looks like a good start, but you are right... probably needs tweaking.
Rubic
QUOTE (Fiddler @ Sep 8 2013, 04:38 AM) *
I made this half pony half monkey monster to please you.

But I get the feeling that you don't like it;
What's with all of the screaming?
Blade
Many current writers are fans of 2nd ed era and would like to see the game go back to this era. Others were pushed away during late 3rd/early 4th ed and take their revenge now by rejecting everything made by those who were in charge at that time.

Or so it seems at least.

I still think the 3 eras solution would have been the best option.
Sengir
Remember than genetech was always only introduced in the cybertech books, AFAIK the BBB never said anything about genetech. Therefore he 5th Ed BBB not mentioning genetech does not tell us anything.
Sendaz
As versus Jeantech, which almost made it into the Style over Substance.

Lowriders

Wireless bonus: adjustable height riding
PraetorGradivus
QUOTE (Sendaz @ Sep 13 2013, 06:59 PM) *
As versus Jeantech, which almost made it into the Style over Substance.

Lowriders

Wireless bonus: adjustable height riding

At least that's a wireless bonus that makes sense.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012