Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Rigger Questions
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Maelwys
Under Drone Gunnery, it states that the Drone must have the appropriate Targeting Autosoft to attack. Presumably this is just when the Drone is acting on its own and not needed when you're controlling it remotely or jacked in?

Page 267 states "One caveat: If a drone is running any of its own autosofts, it cannot benefit from the RCC's autosofts."

That seems pretty straight forward. If a Drone is running an Targeting autosoft for its weapon, it can't benefit from say, a Stealth autosoft running on the RCC." But is that's what's intended? Or is it there to prevent doubling up, or running a better autosoft?

For example a drone with a Rating 3 Targeting autosoft on it. Does that mean the RCC can't share ANY autosofts with that drone, or just that the Drone can't make use of a Rating 6 Targeting autosoft on the RCC? The rule seems to be saying the first, which seems overly restrictive, especially since the number of autosofts a rigger can run is limited and shared with the noise reduction.

Though considering only the Clearsight and Electronic Warfare programs don't seem to be weapon or model specific, there might not be that many that need to be shared...

The Rigging section doesn't seem to comment on Remote Control operations. I take it that falls under the Control Device Matrix action? And then I'd use whatever stats are for controlling a vehicle normally? The limit is "Data Processing"? What if that's higher than the normal limit?

How many programs (not autosofts) can a RCC run?

The control rig states that you can use it for DNI and comes with a universal data connector ("Its like getting a free datajack"). Does that "Free datajack" work like a normal datajack and can I use it to reduce Noise?

Does the Control Rig only provide bonuses when I'm jumped into a vehicle? No bonuses if I'm just plugged in?

The standard weapon mount states "may hold any assault rifle or smaller-sized weapon." What's smaller? Obviously a pistol is smaller than an assault rifle. But what about Shotguns? Sniper rifles? Standard Rifles? How about the various special weapons?
BlackJaw
QUOTE (Maelwys @ Sep 10 2013, 04:52 AM) *
Under Drone Gunnery, it states that the Drone must have the appropriate Targeting Autosoft to attack. Presumably this is just when the Drone is acting on its own and not needed when you're controlling it remotely or jacked in?
That's my interpretation too. A drone can't use a weapon on it's own without an autosoft to tell it how, but you can still remote control and rig the weapon.

Page 267 states "One caveat: If a drone is running any of its own autosofts, it cannot benefit from the RCC's autosofts."

That seems pretty straight forward. If a Drone is running an Targeting autosoft for its weapon, it can't benefit from say, a Stealth autosoft running on the RCC." But is that's what's intended? Or is it there to prevent doubling up, or running a better autosoft?

For example a drone with a Rating 3 Targeting autosoft on it. Does that mean the RCC can't share ANY autosofts with that drone, or just that the Drone can't make use of a Rating 6 Targeting autosoft on the RCC? The rule seems to be saying the first, which seems overly restrictive, especially since the number of autosofts a rigger can run is limited and shared with the noise reduction.

Though considering only the Clearsight and Electronic Warfare programs don't seem to be weapon or model specific, there might not be that many that need to be shared...
As written, if a drone is running it's own autosofts then it does not gain use of any of the autosofts on the RCC. Considering drones often only have 1 or maybe 2 slots for software, you're likely better off using a good RCC to run autosofts. Drones can run cyberprograms that are not autosofts, like Signal Scrubber, and still gain the shared autosofts, so their capacity is not useless. Because many autosofts are drone or weapon specific, there is a strong incentive to standardize you're combat rigger's arsenal. Mount Ingram Smartgun X SMGs (or whatever) almost exclusively and you can use the same targeting autosoft across all your drones. Looking for a second walker drone? Best bet is to get the same model you already have so they can both use the same Maneuvering, sneak, and evasion autosofts on the RCC. In general I'm more likely run vehicle autosofts (like maneuvering) on the vehicle than on the rcc. My van is less likely to need a suite of autosofts than my small army of Ares Duelist drones.

The Rigging section doesn't seem to comment on Remote Control operations. I take it that falls under the Control Device Matrix action? And then I'd use whatever stats are for controlling a vehicle normally? The limit is "Data Processing"? What if that's higher than the normal limit?
It's a bit unclear actually. Gunnery is on the errata list because there are conflicts within the book about which skill/attribute combo is used when. Control Device says Logic + Gunnery, but else where it's Logic + Gunnery for remote control operation, etc. In general, though, you do use the Control Device matrix action unless you are physically controlling the device (taking the wheel and driving) or rigging in (which has it's own rules.) That means Data Processing, a feature of your RCC, works as a cap on your limit. The action specifically note you use the lowest of the standard rating or data processing. If you include Passive Sensor targeting, that means there are 3 limits associated with gunnery.

How many programs (not autosofts) can a RCC run?
It's not defined at this point. Some people argue equal to device rating, and Autosofts do or do not count. I often argue it's the sharing rating, but only autosofts are shared. Some people argue "as many as you want as it's undifined but clearly stated as possible." Errata is needed.

The control rig states that you can use it for DNI and comes with a universal data connector ("Its like getting a free datajack"). Does that "Free datajack" work like a normal datajack and can I use it to reduce Noise?
My interpretation is that you only get what it says: a universal data connector with a built in spool of cable. It's "like" a datajack but isn't a real datajack. You don't get noise reduction because it doesn't tell you it gives noise reduction.

Does the Control Rig only provide bonuses when I'm jumped into a vehicle? No bonuses if I'm just plugged in?
Page 452 is pretty clear that the rating of the Control Rig applies in various ways only when jumped in.

The standard weapon mount states "may hold any assault rifle or smaller-sized weapon." What's smaller? Obviously a pistol is smaller than an assault rifle. But what about Shotguns? Sniper rifles? Standard Rifles? How about the various special weapons?

Weapon size is not a defined term in Shadowrun so this a situation where you GM needs to approve things. Generally I'd allow all the handguns, smgs, shotguns, and assault rifles. In my opinion all of the special weapons listed in the core book are fine too. I'd wouldn't allow any weapon governed by the Heavy Weapon skill except the pistol sized mini-grenade launcher and under-barrel launchers on assult rifles/etc. Sniper rifles are the more complicated category: I'd allow the hunting rifles and EBR is described as assault weapon sized, but the Ranger Arms and Desert Strike may be too big as true sniper weapons.
Maelwys
Thanks for the answers, they help a bit.

Another question I forgo to write up this morning. If I stick an Ares Alpha on a drone, do the grenades and assault rifle rounds share the 250/500 round ammo (split them up however you like) or is the grenade launcher just stuck with one clip?
BlackJaw
QUOTE (Maelwys @ Sep 10 2013, 12:00 PM) *
If I stick an Ares Alpha on a drone, do the grenades and assault rifle rounds share the 250/500 round ammo (split them up however you like) or is the grenade launcher just stuck with one clip?

Not exaclty spelled out in the book,but I'd say you're stuck with the clip. You're mounting the assult rifle, which just happens to have an under-barrel launcher. You aren't mounting the launcher direclty, it's more of an addon. Therefor I'd say the firearm gets the belt fed 250 ammo, but the grenades are still limited to the clip.

If you want to be shooting a lot of grenades, mount the pistol sized grenade launcher. It's clearly smaller than an assult rifle.

That's just my opinion.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012