Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Health Spells and Rounding in SR5
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Major Doom
Essence: Low-Essence characters are more difficult to affect with some health spells. It’s hard to put the body back into its natural state when that state has been unnaturally altered. In game terms, this means you take a dice pool modifier equal to the target’s actual Essence minus his maximum Essence (which will turn out to be 0 or a negative number), rounded up.

As the above quote, from SR5 pages 287-288, states that the penalty a spellcaster received for using some Health spells on a target is current Essence - maximum Essence. If it's a negative number, round up. But if my Math skills don't fail me, when rounding up with negative numbers, you are actually rounding closer to a positive number.

For example. Target has Essence 4.5. Using the above formula (current Essence - maximum Essence) would be 4.5 - 6 = -1.5. Rounding up turns it into a -1, not -2.

Is this the correct postulation for rounding up negative numbers in SR5?
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
I would round in the least favorable manner to the character, personally, so it would be a penalty of -2 for your example. So it is a -(absolute)... 1.5 rounds to 2, and then the negative is applied. wobble.gif
Chrome Head
As written, the OP has the right interpretation of the rule. The intended meaning probably differs.
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (Chrome Head @ Sep 12 2013, 11:24 AM) *
As written, the OP has the right interpretation of the rule. The intended meaning probably differs.

Yeah, I know... frown.gif
Chrome Head
It's a recurrent thing, I know. I think it's been 4-5 threads like this -_-
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (Chrome Head @ Sep 12 2013, 11:38 AM) *
It's a recurrent thing, I know. I think it's been 4-5 threads like this -_-

Sadly... I expected more. wobble.gif
SpellBinder
QUOTE (Tymeaus Jalynsfein @ Sep 12 2013, 11:20 AM) *
I would round in the least favorable manner to the character, personally, so it would be a penalty of -2 for your example. So it is a -(absolute)... 1.5 rounds to 2, and then the negative is applied. wobble.gif
Makes sense to me. Give a little benefit to whomever is playing an uncybered technomancer vs. a slightly cybered decker. spin.gif
FuelDrop
QUOTE (SpellBinder @ Sep 13 2013, 02:52 AM) *
Makes sense to me. Give a little benefit to whomever is playing an uncybered technomancer vs. a slightly cybered decker. spin.gif

in that case it's definitely wrong. Technomancers get nothing. NOTHING!
SpellBinder
Yeah, forgot about that. So shoot me for thinking we could take the baseball bat out of the technomancer's anus for a moment. sarcastic.gif
FuelDrop
QUOTE (SpellBinder @ Sep 13 2013, 06:32 AM) *
Yeah, forgot about that. So shoot me for thinking we could take the baseball bat out of the technomancer's anus for a moment. sarcastic.gif

It's not your fault. Technomancers are a dead end trap option, it's their nature to deceive you into thinking they can be salvaged.
SpellBinder
Well, there is another option still, and a friend posed this to me last week and I wholly plan on it happening.

Never play SR5 (this coming from someone who played only SR3 for the 10+ years SR4 was around).

On the flip side, there are numerous things that can be brought back to SR4, like the Essence limit on more Health spells than just Heal.
FuelDrop
QUOTE (SpellBinder @ Sep 13 2013, 06:39 AM) *
Well, there is another option still, and a friend posed this to me last week and I wholly plan on it happening.

Never play SR5 (this coming from someone who played only SR3 for the 10+ years SR4 was around).

On the flip side, there are numerous things that can be brought back to SR4, like the Essence limit on more Health spells than just Heal.

AND GIVE UP THE CHANCE TO BITCH AND MOAN?!? NEVER!!!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012