Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Dispelling and Drain Issue in SR5
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Major Doom
So I've noticed that SR5 has changed what signifies Drain being Physical or Stun damage which is now a number of hits, after applying Force, that exceed a spellcasters Magic (SR5, page 281):

QUOTE (SR5 page 281)
You can cast a spell at a Force up to twice your Magic rating. If the number of hits (not net hits) you get after applying the limit exceeds your Magic rating, the spell’s Drain is Physical instead of Stun damage.

But then I noticed for Dispelling (page 295), under Counterspelling, that the rules for Drain references old SR4A rules for Spellcasting, where if the Force is higher than your Magic rating, the damage incurred is Physical:

QUOTE (SR5 page 295)
Regardless of how it goes, you take the Drain from the spell as if you had cast it—Physical if the spell’s Force was higher than your
Magic rating, Stun otherwise.

Was this intentional or stellar editing?
Isath
I'd go for the most likely of versions here... meaning "stellar editing". Just go with the normal drain rules for that. SR5 simply didn't get the time it needed, and thus is a compilation of errors.
Major Doom
QUOTE (Isath @ Sep 13 2013, 11:44 AM) *
I'd go for the most likely of versions here... meaning "stellar editing". Just go with the normal drain rules for that. SR5 simply didn't get the time it needed, and thus is a compilation of errors.

So then it was intentional stellar editing. Thanks.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012