Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Self-killing character
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
FuelDrop
One of the common allergy examples is Wi-Fi sensitivity.

Wi-Fi is everywhere. the only way to avoid it is to hide in a building with a Faraday cage and no electronic devices and never leave. It's a worse thing to be allergic to than sunlight.

At severe or extreme, this allergy will kill any character that takes it within a city in under 10 minutes.

the moral of this story? Make the most of those points!
Shemhazai
Lots of the negative qualities are absurd. They are for punishing players, not chargen.
binarywraith
QUOTE (FuelDrop @ Sep 17 2013, 06:02 AM) *
One of the common allergy examples is Wi-Fi sensitivity.

Wi-Fi is everywhere. the only way to avoid it is to hide in a building with a Faraday cage and no electronic devices and never leave. It's a worse thing to be allergic to than sunlight.

At severe or extreme, this allergy will kill any character that takes it within a city in under 10 minutes.

the moral of this story? Make the most of those points!

Wi-Fi sensitivity as a flaw seems to be written with the actual function of wireless communications in mind.

Pity the rest of the worldbuilding flat isn't.
Oregwath
You should also look at Gremlins at level four. We have a shaman who was going to take this until I pointed out that at level four he would auto glitch until he reached a dice pool of nine, and since he had no ranks in any of the tech skills he would be defaulting when the gm asked for a test. He has 3 in both logic and intuition, so he would be rolling two dice, auto glitching, and if he didn't get a hit it would be a critical glitch.

Turning on the lights? Oops, there goes the power in your apartment. Wouldn't be too long before you were known through out the sprawl and blacklisted by all the landlords.

Trying to access your bank account? Sucks that you just flagged yourself as a bio-terrorist to both Knight Errant and Lone Star.

Using cred sticks instead? Ouch, you just fried the stuffer shack check out...

Get jumped in a dark alley? Hope you have a spirit on standby to go get your pals, because you're not calling them.

And just to ensure you don't think you can just touch an enemies gun and fry it, the quality specifically points out that the result is going to be the worst case scenario for YOU, so that gun is going to fire just fine into your (now pointblank) chest.

The way they have it set up it will not exactly kill you outright, but it will basically remove you from the game unless you have a large enough skill set to mitigate the damage. I know that I wouldn't run with someone who could set off the buildings alarm system by pressing the elevator button.
thorya
Addiction Burnout (Bliss)- Start with lower essence and constantly have low reaction and higher thresholds.
Addiction Burnout (Zen)- Lower reaction and negative modifier on all your physical actions dice pools. Though some builds might be able to work around this.

Addiction Burnout (long haul)- Since with this level of addiction you have to roll to resist using twice a day (at a -6) and taking additional doses of long haul after the first cause 10S damage at the end of the drugs active period, you're pretty much guaranteed to be up for 7-8 days and then die.

X-Kalibur
QUOTE (Oregwath @ Sep 17 2013, 08:58 AM) *
You should also look at Gremlins at level four. We have a shaman who was going to take this until I pointed out that at level four he would auto glitch until he reached a dice pool of nine, and since he had no ranks in any of the tech skills he would be defaulting when the gm asked for a test. He has 3 in both logic and intuition, so he would be rolling two dice, auto glitching, and if he didn't get a hit it would be a critical glitch.

Turning on the lights? Oops, there goes the power in your apartment. Wouldn't be too long before you were known through out the sprawl and blacklisted by all the landlords.

Trying to access your bank account? Sucks that you just flagged yourself as a bio-terrorist to both Knight Errant and Lone Star.

Get jumped in a dark alley? Hope you have a spirit on standby to go get your pals, because you're not calling them.

And just to ensure you don't think you can just touch an enemies gun and fry it, the quality specifically points out that the result is going to be the worst case scenario for YOU, so that gun is going to fire just fine into your (now pointblank) chest.

The way they have it set up it will not exactly kill you outright, but it will basically remove you from the game unless you have a large enough skill set to mitigate the damage. I know that I wouldn't run with someone who could set off the buildings alarm system by pressing the elevator button.

I think you've over done the effects of gremlins a little bit.
For each level (maximum of 4), reduce the number
of rolled 1s necessary to get a glitch (p. 45) by 1 whenever
the character is attempting to use a moderately sophisticated
device. For example, a character with a dice
pool of 8 and Gremlins level 2 (8 Karma) would trigger
a glitch if two or more 1s result from the test (instead
of the normal 4).

While I don't see anything hard and fast, I do believe it is implied they still need to roll at least one 1 on the dice in order to glitch. With a dice pool of 10 he'd still glitch on a single 1 being rolled, but I don't see any rules for glitching when none are rolled.
Oregwath
Those were all examples of critical glitches. In the glitch section they say that the critical glitches are the ones that put the characters life in danger and make them come up with desperate plans to survive. That was the qualifier I was using for them.

Also, if you still have to roll a single one that would make it a lot less extreme. However, I know my storyteller, he will say that since you have reduced the limit past zero you need to roll at least zero 1's, which would be auto-glitching. Again, that would be the way my storyteller ruled it, so YMMV with this negative quality.
Epicedion
QUOTE (X-Kalibur @ Sep 17 2013, 12:41 PM) *
I think you've over done the effects of gremlins a little bit.

While I don't see anything hard and fast, I do believe it is implied they still need to roll at least one 1 on the dice in order to glitch. With a dice pool of 10 he'd still glitch on a single 1 being rolled, but I don't see any rules for glitching when none are rolled.

Note that the example is actually wrong, since glitches only happen if more than half the dice come up ones. Gremlins 2 with a dice pool of 8 should require 3 ones, not 2, since 5 is the magic number of ones normally.
FuelDrop
QUOTE (Epicedion @ Sep 18 2013, 01:56 PM) *
Note that the example is actually wrong, since glitches only happen if more than half the dice come up ones. Gremlins 2 with a dice pool of 8 should require 3 ones, not 2, since 5 is the magic number of ones normally.

In effect, the writer glitched?
grid.samurai
QUOTE (FuelDrop @ Sep 17 2013, 10:12 PM) *
In effect, the writer glitched?

The writer wrote it correctly. The gremlins caused it to print incorrectly.
Chinane
Considering I've seen people write they'd take an allergy to salt water (i.e. basically to 90% of their own body), I'm not surprised.
X-Kalibur
QUOTE (Chinane @ Sep 18 2013, 01:48 AM) *
Considering I've seen people write they'd take an allergy to salt water (i.e. basically to 90% of their own body), I'm not surprised.

They probably meant sea water. Otherwise they may as well call the quality "lupus". And it's never lupus...
Shemhazai
I'm a big fan of lactose intolerant myself.
Sendaz
It's a classic joke, but you do find those who are soap intolerant. nyahnyah.gif

ShowerRun™

Coming clean out of the shadows.
Neraph
QUOTE (thorya @ Sep 17 2013, 10:49 AM) *
Addiction Burnout (Bliss)- Start with lower essence and constantly have low reaction and higher thresholds.
Addiction Burnout (Zen)- Lower reaction and negative modifier on all your physical actions dice pools. Though some builds might be able to work around this.

Addiction Burnout (long haul)- Since with this level of addiction you have to roll to resist using twice a day (at a -6) and taking additional doses of long haul after the first cause 10S damage at the end of the drugs active period, you're pretty much guaranteed to be up for 7-8 days and then die.

Burnout Addiction to being the target of Essence Drain.
grid.samurai
QUOTE (Neraph @ Sep 19 2013, 07:52 PM) *
Burnout Addiction to being the target of Essence Drain.

Allergy to Drain
Shortstraw
QUOTE (Oregwath @ Sep 18 2013, 01:58 AM) *

These don't require tests and as such the gremlins quality does not apply.
X-Kalibur
QUOTE (Shortstraw @ Sep 19 2013, 11:40 PM) *
These don't require tests and as such the gremlins quality does not apply.

Actually, the quality states that the GM may require you to make rolls for normally mundane tasks to see if Gremlins has an effect.
Neraph
QUOTE (grid.samurai @ Sep 20 2013, 12:24 AM) *
Allergy to Drain

A Burnout Addiction means that if you don't have your Essence drained in a month (or so) then you lose a point of Essence anyways. You have less than 6 months to live, at maximum. You also suffer a massive penalty to avoid being talked into having your Essence drained.

With an Allergy you'd just take physical damage while having your Essence drained, meaning you'd be even more inclined to avoid it.
FuelDrop
QUOTE (Neraph @ Sep 21 2013, 11:05 PM) *
A Burnout Addiction means that if you don't have your Essence drained in a month (or so) then you lose a point of Essence anyways. You have less than 6 months to live, at maximum. You also suffer a massive penalty to avoid being talked into having your Essence drained.

With an Allergy you'd just take physical damage while having your Essence drained, meaning you'd be even more inclined to avoid it.

Unless he means Allergy to spell drain... which would SUCK!
Neraph
QUOTE (FuelDrop @ Sep 21 2013, 09:40 AM) *
Unless he means Allergy to spell drain... which would SUCK!

Ah, yes. That would.

For more fun put that on someone who has Astral Hazing as well.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012