Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Classic cons.
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
FuelDrop
Have you or your players ever pulled of one of the classic cons? Either a Short Con (Beat Bag, Bibles From The Dead, Hustling The Mark, Pig In A Poke, Quick Change) or a Long Con (419 Scam, Delayed Wire, Flopsy, Good For Bad, Kansas City Shuffle, Landmark Sale, Ponzi, Rainmaking, Spanish Prisoner, Violin Scam)?
pbangarth
Sorry, I don't know most of those. Here's something a team I played with in Missions a few years back pulled. Maybe it has a name?

We were hired by a Mafioso to find and collect someone who welched on a deal with him. We found the guy, who begged for his life... wife and kids and all that... and offered to pay us the money he ripped off if only we got him and his family to safety. We weren't interested in wrecking a contract, but my PC, a voodoo magician came up with a plan to fulfill our contract and get the extra cash too.

We brought the target back to the delivery location, beaten up and unconscious, 'because he had resisted'. We got paid, and left him in the possession of a couple of henchmen, who had called the boss and told him the delivery was made. Unknown to them, my PC had summoned a spirit to possess the target. Once we were clear, the spirit took control of the body and easily fought its way out, killing the henchmen, and made its way to our meeting place, where we had family ready to go and delivered them out of the city.

"What? We delivered him unconscious to your men. We were there when they called you. We got the payout and left. Didn't they say so? Well, there you go. He musta had some friends. You didn't tell us about friends. We'da dealt with them too, if you'da contracted us for that."
FuelDrop
QUOTE (pbangarth @ Sep 24 2013, 12:40 PM) *
Sorry, I don't know most of those. Here's something a team I played with in Missions a few years back pulled. Maybe it has a name?

We were hired by a Mafioso to find and collect someone who welched on a deal with him. We found the guy, who begged for his life... wife and kids and all that... and offered to pay us the money he ripped off if only we got him and his family to safety. We weren't interested in wrecking a contract, but my PC, a voodoo magician came up with a plan to fulfill our contract and get the extra cash too.

We brought the target back to the delivery location, beaten up and unconscious, 'because he had resisted'. We got paid, and left him in the possession of a couple of henchmen, who had called the boss and told him the delivery was made. Unknown to them, my PC had summoned a spirit to possess the target. Once we were clear, the spirit took control of the body and easily fought its way out, killing the henchmen, and made its way to our meeting place, where we had family ready to go and delivered them out of the city.

"What? We delivered him unconscious to your men. We were there when they called you. We got the payout and left. Didn't they say so? Well, there you go. He musta had some friends. You didn't tell us about friends. We'da dealt with them too, if you'da contracted us for that."

I'd say the closest con on the list would be a good for bad. They thought you were giving them a helpless captive, but instead they got a combat monster waiting to strike.
CanRay
I like the Blitz Play, which isn't so much a Con as it is a way to get into an Armored Car. biggrin.gif
xsansara
QUOTE (FuelDrop @ Sep 24 2013, 04:21 AM) *
Have you or your players ever pulled of one of the classic cons? Either a Short Con (Beat Bag, Bibles From The Dead, Hustling The Mark, Pig In A Poke, Quick Change) or a Long Con (419 Scam, Delayed Wire, Flopsy, Good For Bad, Kansas City Shuffle, Landmark Sale, Ponzi, Rainmaking, Spanish Prisoner, Violin Scam)?

Beat Bag: Yepp, on a Johnson, we didn't like. Delivered the wares, but tipped off the opposition where it is
Bible from the Dead: Not on people, we didn't kill ourselves nyahnyah.gif
Hustling the mark: Unless you count registering our Sam for a cage fight event by staging a training fight he loses and then betting on him large. As for the billiards variant, ...I don't think anyone falls for that. It is such a cliche.
Pig in a poke: No one buys unseen. That is just stupid. However, you can occasionally get someone a gift, they do not open properly.
Quick Change does not work in SR with the cred sticks and all. However, I did play a former magician once (as in stage magician), and he solved a lot of problems with sleight-of-hand and confetti. I would always argue with the GM that superhuman reflexes do help with sleight-of-hand and for the most part, he accepted that. We closed the campaign with us going legit with an high-end event management company, we had originally founded as a cover. An elf shaman with a taste for luxury, me, an ex-bodyguard and a rigger/smuggler. It just felt like the perfect business plan. Good old times...

FuelDrop
QUOTE (xsansara @ Sep 24 2013, 04:08 PM) *
Beat Bag: Yepp, on a Johnson, we didn't like. Delivered the wares, but tipped off the opposition where it is
Bible from the Dead: Not on people, we didn't kill ourselves nyahnyah.gif
Hustling the mark: Unless you count registering our Sam for a cage fight event by staging a training fight he loses and then betting on him large. As for the billiards variant, ...I don't think anyone falls for that. It is such a cliche.
Pig in a poke: No one buys unseen. That is just stupid. However, you can occasionally get someone a gift, they do not open properly.
Quick Change does not work in SR with the cred sticks and all. However, I did play a former magician once (as in stage magician), and he solved a lot of problems with sleight-of-hand and confetti. I would always argue with the GM that superhuman reflexes do help with sleight-of-hand and for the most part, he accepted that. We closed the campaign with us going legit with an high-end event management company, we had originally founded as a cover. An elf shaman with a taste for luxury, me, an ex-bodyguard and a rigger/smuggler. It just felt like the perfect business plan. Good old times...

I love that. I give a list of the classics and you go "Done that, done that, tech makes that one impossible, that one was fun, done that, done that..."
True veteran.
xsansara
QUOTE (FuelDrop @ Sep 24 2013, 10:10 AM) *
I love that. I give a list of the classics and you go "Done that, done that, tech makes that one impossible, that one was fun, done that, done that..."
True veteran.

Been playing the game since 2nd Edition and nearing my 20th anniversary. smile.gif

But I still have to ask the husband about the more arcane rules.
FuelDrop
QUOTE (xsansara @ Sep 24 2013, 08:26 PM) *
Been playing the game since 2nd Edition and nearing my 20th anniversary. smile.gif

But I still have to ask the husband about the more arcane rules.

[intentionally missing the point for comedy] All those years and you've never played a spellcaster? [/intentionally missing the point for comedy]
nezumi
We swapped packages pretty regularly, and I think they did one where they altered data on a website to influence the mark's decisions. Most of the cons are perpetrated by me (the GM) on the PCs though.

One of my favorites was in Eclipse Phase at a convention game. One player dropped out. The party realized, 'hey, this PC is like super-famous'. So they set up a meeting with the big bad guy (who was a morph trader) to sell off her morph and ego to him. Of course, only one PC is allowed to accompany the ship, but the hacker was hidden on the morph for sale. So the one PC brings the morph in, the infomorph hacks the shuttle and shuts it down, the rest of the party jumps on over and boards, they capture the bad guy and fly away with the shuttle. Perfect trojan horse.
xsansara
QUOTE (FuelDrop @ Sep 24 2013, 12:28 PM) *
[intentionally missing the point for comedy] All those years and you've never played a spellcaster? [/intentionally missing the point for comedy]

LOL, I even tried TM at one point in 4th, but as soon as I figured out the stuff about machine sprites, it became kind of boring.

Truth is, my favourite con (in both senses of the word) char is one cat shaman with high Charisma, but Intelligence/Logic 1. She would have an addiction to soap operas and old movies, and my contribution to planning discussions would be citing said movies. I build and re-build her over all the editions. I even have a MysAd version for SR5 built, just in case. Trick is to not read the Magic chapter or take stuff like Magic Theory, so I honestly don't know what the character is capable of and the character doesn't either. In difficult situations, she summons a spirit to explain things to her, as they easily have better mental capacities than her.

I was surprised to experience that it is actually easier to con someone when you are not smart. It prevents you from overthinking. Thus you can be completely sympathetic and honest, because you do not precisely understand what kind of damage you are doing. And you do not feel compelled to use a logical string of arguments, nor is the other person expecting one. Also, when you do impovise, you do not flee into complexities, which will kill you, when the other person is already suspicious, but into set stereotypes, such as movie characters. When you are consistently dumb, your target's will think you are harmless and thus let their guard down. I once got away with telling the gang boss that I had been kidnapped by aliens and they had told me to do all those aweful things (and shamelessly started crying). You should have seen the face of the GM smile.gif He was going like: "It would be like killing a puppy."

It took me a while to get playing that sort of character down, because I am kind of a nerd, so the older version were more like a persiflage of a stupid cheerleader type of person. But I have come to appreciate the change of perspective, and being able to do this sort of thing, is quite helpful in real life.
Daddy's Little Ninja
I do not recognize any of those names but we will often tip off 3rd parties if we feel something is not right. "Hey it's not our fault KE/the Family/SK had people there. I barely got out. If we didn't have such a good working relationship I would think you were trying to get rid of me."
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012