Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Shadowrun TCG?
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Mordrid Soud
apologize in advance if this is not the right place to post this. just curious about the game though. i was thinking, since i have alot of friends (alright, alright, i only have 4) who play magic, i figured it might be a good way to introduce them to the world of shadowrun. i was curious though as to how good a game it was (i would feel like an ass if it sucked and as a result they didn't want anything to do with the game anymore).
Smiley
This is the right place to ask about Shadowrun, but if you're going to ask about how good it is, this isn't the place for it since everyone here likes it so much they not only play it, but joined a website to talk about it all day long. BUT, since you asked, it kicks ass.
Req
Whoa, I'd only heard that it totally sucked, but that was from one review and a friend-of-a-friend. Maybe I should pick up a box after all.

edit: the CCG, not the RPG. Of COURSE the RPG kicks ass.
Kakkaraun
Smiley. He's talking about the /card game/.
Smiley
Auuggh... my bad. No more all-nighters.
Synner
I've liked the game everytime I've played it, although the lack of expansions does favor brute force decks... Underworld helped level the game out for magic oriented decks and started to develop some other types but then the game was cancelled.
Mordrid Soud
cool, thanks for the input. i have another question then, i was planning on buying a box of starter decks, and two boxes of boosters. should that be enough, or would you recomend buying something different. the only reason i was planning on the starter deck box was for the rule book, and sometimes there are cards that you can only get in certain box types (like the middle earth ccg mad.gif ). otherwise would i be better off jsut buying 2 starter decks, and 3 booster boxes?
Mordrid Soud
ahhh... and yet another question. what would be the best place to buy them. i saw stiggybabby's has them, but i didn't know if there was a betterplace.
theartthief
Shadowrun CCG???

I thought that it can canned and was never printed again. Where might I be able to find boxes still?

- theartthief
TinkerGnome
Stiggybaby's got 'em. I get free packs with my SR books from time to time. Good luck finding them on the page, though. I didn't see the old CCG section when I started looking just a minute ago.

[edit] They still have them. Go to FASA, then Shadowrun RPG and check the second page. [/edit]
A Clockwork Lime
About the only thing I liked about it was a few of the character cards inspired some interesting ideas for characters. Never been into card games, though. Well, outside traditional ones like Poker.
shadd4d
Some of the characters from the novels ended up being the Shadowrun version of Legends in Magic.

The basic set had a lot of things that were interesting, get over 120 cards (it's not that hard) and you see a decent breakdown of how it works and you've got a lot of decent cards.

The basic set is also pretty fun; I did feel a bit bummed when I heard it was cancelled.

Underworld just adds all kinds of stuff, such as yakuza, mafia, and Lone Star runners, making you runner team a gang, and all kinds of interesting things.

In both sets, there's a lot of art which got used again in the 3rd ed books. Most of the chapter openning pictures, all the pictures in the utility chapter, and those color pictures on the back of the sourcebooks are mostly from the card game.

Don
Kagetenshi
The card game is quite fun. My favourite card is without a doubt Saeder-Krupp.

~J
BIG BAD BEESTE
Damn shame the TCG cot canned, I really wanted to see what they were going to produce in the Corporate expansion. Ho-hum.

Anyhow, your best bet to get a load is conventions or via places like ebay. My friends and I still enjoy a good bash between ourselves every so often, but then we all have substancial collections (pretty much the complete sets). The best thing I like about the game is that it can be multiplayer. Apart from trying to build the ultimate killer deck, its nice to try out theme decks for flavour and to try new approaches. Apart from that I originally got into it because the artwork was cool and using the encounters and objective cards helps generate a quick scenario plan if you're caught short.
BIG BAD BEESTE
Damn shame the TCG cot canned, I really wanted to see what they were going to produce in the Corporate expansion. Ho-hum.

Anyhow, your best bet to get a load is conventions or via places like ebay. My friends and I still enjoy a good bash between ourselves every so often, but then we all have substancial collections (pretty much the complete sets). The best thing I like about the game is that it can be multiplayer. Apart from trying to build the ultimate killer deck, its nice to try out theme decks for flavour and to try new approaches. Apart from that I originally got into it because the artwork was cool and using the encounters and objective cards helps generate a quick scenario plan if you're caught short.
Caine Hazen
S-K definatly rules....any card that can win the game from all the players rocks!! BTW Ebay does rule...I just landed a whole sealed box of Underworld!! w00t!!
shroud
Mordrid- The CCG is a good introduction to the RPG, the variety of gear and objectives really shows the versitility of the system. It also helps that the CCG game is multiplayer. Stiggybaby's SR sale is comparable to the prices your find on Ebay. One thing, the only time I bought a First Run booster box (which was from Stiggybaby) I found that it had the same 32 common cards in it. The total set has well over 100 commons. Perhaps someone else can confirm that you would see the same common cards in each First Run booster. Based on this, instead of gettering two booster boxes, I suggest getting additional starter decks and only one booster box.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012