Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Run idea.
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
FuelDrop
The run is a simple extract and retrieve job. The Johnson represents a AAA megacorp, probably Aztechnology. The runners have to break into a secure facility, extract the target safely, and transport it to a drop point of the Johnson's choosing.
The target? Well, I was thinking either SCP-682 or SCP-173.
Payment, according to the 5th edition core rulebook's guidelines, would be approximately 24,000 nuyen per runner.

So, which target do you think would cause the most TPKs? devil.gif

DamHawke
Why not both wink.gif

SCP-682 I think would probably be guilty of the most carnage however biggrin.gif
FuelDrop
Cage match: Great Dragon of your choice and SCP-682. Make it happen people.
Fiddler
QUOTE (FuelDrop @ Sep 25 2013, 02:03 AM) *
So, which target do you think would cause the most TPKs? devil.gif

I don't understand why would you want a total party kill? Of course i guess i never got the whole gamemaster vs players thing. The point of a rpg is to have a fun story not kill the other guy. Bet hey play it how you want.
Sendaz
What TPK?

Assuming they can penetrate the facility they should also have been able to access any relevant info on the critters and know enough not to get close/appropriate hazards involved.

May require taking the whole room or similar structure, but wouldn't be the first time we stole a bit of a building. wink.gif
Godwyn
Whatever are those links in the first post? I have never heard of either of those.
FuelDrop
QUOTE (Fiddler @ Sep 25 2013, 09:24 PM) *
I don't understand why would you want a total party kill? Of course i guess i never got the whole gamemaster vs players thing. The point of a rpg is to have a fun story not kill the other guy. Bet hey play it how you want.

My idea was to basically make the shadowrun equivalent of Tomb of Horrors. Not something I personally would ever run my players through, but a module with the potential for infamy and a massive body count.
FuelDrop
QUOTE (Godwyn @ Sep 26 2013, 03:23 AM) *
Whatever are those links in the first post? I have never heard of either of those.

Those links are to the (hopefully) fictional SCP website, an organisation designed to contain and study the abnormal and bizarre. You may have heard of the game SCP: Containment Breach? Same guys.

EDIT: A list of ways they've tried to kill 682 so far.
ShadowDragon8685
QUOTE (FuelDrop @ Sep 25 2013, 06:02 AM) *
Cage match: Great Dragon of your choice and SCP-682. Make it happen people.

GDs probably have a spell that can disintegrate a living thing entirely, and enough spellcasting die to back it up. Not to mention sufficient size and strength to probably wrestle the thing down.
FuelDrop
QUOTE (ShadowDragon8685 @ Sep 26 2013, 06:27 AM) *
GDs probably have a spell that can disintegrate a living thing entirely, and enough spellcasting die to back it up. Not to mention sufficient size and strength to probably wrestle the thing down.

Normally I'd agree, but considering that 682 has survived everything that the SCP Foundation has been able to throw at it (Including possession, Mind control (became sluggish for about an hour, then gained the ability to use the same power for a period of about 2 hours [during which much underwear was stained]), a fight with a monster designed specifically to kill it (via SCP-826), scouring with a toothbrush that disintegrates all organic matter it touches, dissection by laser cutter... oh yes, and going toe to toe with a being suspected to be god.), I'd say its track record for survival is quite impressive.

EDIT: He was also turned into a small housecat at one point. He still killed 14 people before they could recover him, and he got better within a few hours.
Modular Man
Wow. I had no idea of that database. Creepy. alien.gif
I assume you already surmise the run will go south? As long you're sure the players won't frown upon that, have fun wink.gif
(one GM once did that and I was not amused, another executed such an incident much better and I was thrilled the entire time)

I think whereas SCP-173 holds a way more creepy factor, players may figure it out eventually.
Or just resort to violence once they realise that they are better off with their lifes than with a questionable payment ("Screw this, we're not getting paid enough for that ****ing ****!"). There are people whose only run they don't finish is their last one, though.

That's where SCP-682 holds the more devastating potential. Running from/containing something virtually unstoppable is a horror experience in itself.
It can also last longer. SCP-173 seems a lot like an insta-kill and you only have so many PCs. If you throw redshirt NPCs into the mix, though... (as happened in the TPK-run my GM did) :evilgm:

I have to say, SCP-173 creeps me out way, way more. Unstoppable force, that I can handle and so can my characters. But that one... bad thing. dead.gif
ShadowDragon8685
QUOTE (FuelDrop @ Sep 25 2013, 05:38 PM) *
Normally I'd agree, but considering that 682 has survived everything that the SCP Foundation has been able to throw at it (Including possession, Mind control (became sluggish for about an hour, then gained the ability to use the same power for a period of about 2 hours [during which much underwear was stained]), a fight with a monster designed specifically to kill it (via SCP-826), scouring with a toothbrush that disintegrates all organic matter it touches, dissection by laser cutter... oh yes, and going toe to toe with a being suspected to be god.), I'd say its track record for survival is quite impressive.

EDIT: He was also turned into a small housecat at one point. He still killed 14 people before they could recover him, and he got better within a few hours.

I dunno. SCPs tend to be one-trick ponies, maybe with a few auxillary tricks. (Nigh-invulnerable isn't in the least bit scary if the nigh-invulnerable thing is the size and comparative threat of a kitten.) A Great Dragon is a massive character sheet full of devastating power. Any given GD is probably more than capable of physically wrestling 682 down in their normal form. They probably have enough spellcasting dice to completely disintegrate it. They also definitely have enough to hoist it into orbit whereupon it can be affixed to a rocket and launched into the sun. Lofwyr alone could probably do that by his onesies, and the other GDs could hire Ares Aerospace or someone.
FuelDrop
Well this IS shadowrun. Everything can be killed, given enough effort.
ShadowDragon8685
QUOTE (FuelDrop @ Sep 26 2013, 05:06 AM) *
Well this IS shadowrun. Everything can be killed, given enough effort.

Exactly, and GDs are capable of all the effort.
Just as I think it would be a rousing challenge for a young group of Solar Exalted. smile.gif

If it exists in the setting, then it can be killed.
ChromeZephyr
Mixing SCPs and Shadowrun. You're a sick individual, Fuel Drop.

...and I'm kicking myself for not thinking of it the first time I started reading them years ago.

SCP-835 would be fun to throw into a campaign.
grid.samurai
First and foremost, SCP is awesome. I use it regularly for creepy elements to runs. Glad to see someone else is using it as well.

Secondly, how about strapping this thing to a rocket and sending it into deep space. Sure, might have trouble killing it, so let's send it sailing away.
ShadowDragon8685
QUOTE (grid.samurai @ Sep 26 2013, 12:54 PM) *
First and foremost, SCP is awesome. I use it regularly for creepy elements to runs. Glad to see someone else is using it as well.

Secondly, how about strapping this thing to a rocket and sending it into deep space. Sure, might have trouble killing it, so let's send it sailing away.

Yeah.. I'm starting to think that 682 is a "sacred cow." I read all of its termination testing entries last night... Frankly, nothing should be able to survive being compressed into an event horizon. It's not just a biological hellbeast, it's a sacred god-cow. I'm starting to suspect it was originally written by one of the site's owners or high-level operators.

So strap the motherfucker to a rocket and fling it into the sun.
ChromeZephyr
Eh, kinda. It and Able (SCP-076) are the "stop being stupid" indicators for new SCP authors. If what you're writing about is more-dangerous-than- or can harm either of the two mentioned before than your idea is stupid and you should either scrap it or revise it. They're some of the oldest SCPs from the files (173 is the first) and are better used as an object lesson than just deleting them. Though the current Able is a hard retcon of what had been written in before (what the block at the top references).
ShadowDragon8685
Eh. I never liked the SCP Foundation stuff, really.

Honestly, it just seems like a masturbatory circle-jerk of horribleness, folk making up whatever terrible nonsense they can so they can justify writing whatever sociopathic fantasies get them off and pat each other on the back and assure themselves that they're still the good guys.
Godwyn
Reading up more on this; they do seem awesome to add into an SR campaign. After reading the intro for SCP, written to a new employee, I almost want to run that as an SR campaign some time.
AccessControl
QUOTE (ShadowDragon8685 @ Sep 25 2013, 11:14 PM) *
I dunno. SCPs tend to be one-trick ponies, maybe with a few auxillary tricks. (Nigh-invulnerable isn't in the least bit scary if the nigh-invulnerable thing is the size and comparative threat of a kitten.) A Great Dragon is a massive character sheet full of devastating power. Any given GD is probably more than capable of physically wrestling 682 down in their normal form. They probably have enough spellcasting dice to completely disintegrate it. They also definitely have enough to hoist it into orbit whereupon it can be affixed to a rocket and launched into the sun. Lofwyr alone could probably do that by his onesies, and the other GDs could hire Ares Aerospace or someone.

I think the problem with 682 is the fact that it "adapts" to whatever is being used to try and kill it rather quickly, either gaining immunity to that particular method or gaining the ability itself. Given that, per its testing logs, it has survived even being put into a machine that changes the laws of physics to the point that only about 1% of its body mass was left and the rest had converted into exotic matter held together by quark interactions, and seemed to be enjoying it, I'm doubtful that even a GD can properly dispose of it.
ChromeZephyr
QUOTE (ShadowDragon8685 @ Sep 26 2013, 12:00 PM) *

Honestly, it just seems like a masturbatory circle-jerk of horribleness, folk making up whatever terrible nonsense they can so they can justify writing whatever sociopathic fantasies get them off and pat each other on the back and assure themselves that they're still the good guys.

Considering that the entire site started on 4chan, there are probably a few people of that nature writing pieces. Ascribing that motive to every author that has an article on there seems harsher than necessary.
ShadowDragon8685
QUOTE (AccessControl @ Sep 26 2013, 03:29 PM) *
I think the problem with 682 is the fact that it "adapts" to whatever is being used to try and kill it rather quickly, either gaining immunity to that particular method or gaining the ability itself. Given that, per its testing logs, it has survived even being put into a machine that changes the laws of physics to the point that only about 1% of its body mass was left and the rest had converted into exotic matter held together by quark interactions, and seemed to be enjoying it, I'm doubtful that even a GD can properly dispose of it.

GDs trump physics. They have magic. If they have to research the spell "Disintegrate 682," they can, and probably instantaneously. Or they could simply levitate it out of the atmosphere and fling it into the sun.
grid.samurai
QUOTE (ShadowDragon8685 @ Sep 26 2013, 12:37 PM) *
GDs trump physics. They have magic. If they have to research the spell "Disintegrate 682," they can, and probably instantaneously. Or they could simply levitate it out of the atmosphere and fling it into the sun.

And even if it adapts to the sun before fully disintegrating, there is still the fact that it wouldn't be able to escape the sun. It would just sit in the sun, waiting for another being to encounter it, the sun to go super nova, or what have you. Essentially, despite not being able to kill it (assuming this was the case), we would be rid of it - effectively "destroying" it. Or destroying its ability to destroy us at least. Out of sight, out of mind.
Draco18s
QUOTE (grid.samurai @ Sep 26 2013, 03:43 PM) *
Out of sight, out of mind.

Somebody Else's Problem.

QUOTE (ShadowDragon8685 @ Sep 26 2013, 02:00 PM) *

I feel the same way.
ShadowDragon8685
QUOTE (grid.samurai @ Sep 26 2013, 03:43 PM) *
And even if it adapts to the sun before fully disintegrating, there is still the fact that it wouldn't be able to escape the sun. It would just sit in the sun, waiting for another being to encounter it, the sun to go super nova, or what have you. Essentially, despite not being able to kill it (assuming this was the case), we would be rid of it - effectively "destroying" it. Or destroying its ability to destroy us at least. Out of sight, out of mind.

QUOTE (Draco18s @ Sep 26 2013, 03:54 PM) *
Somebody Else's Problem.

Exactly. Or, more specifically, nobody else's problem before the heat-death of the universe.

Seriously, reading the list of ways that they've tried and failed to kill 682... Seriously, WTF. Several types of instant-death artifacts were simply no-sold, several types of vanishes-without-a-trace artifacts were likewise no-sold, mind control or mind overwriting - no-sold, portable black-hole trial was aborted, point-blank nuking was aborted, literal narrative override-out-of-existence failed despite not being a no-sell, it completely no-sold the entity danced-around as being God Almighty (though G-A simultaneously no-sold it,) the entity which is clearly intended to be the Devil implied that although it was capable of destroying 682 in a manner which would leave Earth, humanity, human civilization, and the rest of the universe intact, the price it would demand was essentially unpayable; a djinn took it in trade for a parakeet, but later returned it without comment, it defeated two forms of slenderman in one-on-one combat, no-sold being compressed into neutronium, fled from the rabbit of caerbannog (and somehow nobody considered confining it such that it could not flee,) and so forth and so on.

It's clearly somebody's Sacred Cow, and they have the authority to prevent it from being slaughtered and served up.

I feel the same way.

Yeah. Seriously, there's "Men in Black" level "we did what we had to do," there's crossing the line twice, and there's crossing the line an infinite number of times but still landing in "dude not funny" territory.

I think when you get to point that you're writing a story where a child is being raped daily by convicted sex offenders and it's presented as being the work of the good guys, you're officially competing with and beating Warhammer 40K for the dude-not-funny shitdark crown. And given the low number and the fact it was started in 2008...

That's just taking the fucking piss.
FuelDrop
QUOTE (ShadowDragon8685 @ Sep 27 2013, 05:24 AM) *
Seriously, reading the list of ways that they've tried and failed to kill 682... Seriously, WTF. Several types of instant-death artifacts were simply no-sold, several types of vanishes-without-a-trace artifacts were likewise no-sold, mind control or mind overwriting - no-sold, portable black-hole trial was aborted, point-blank nuking was aborted, literal narrative override-out-of-existence failed despite not being a no-sell, it completely no-sold the entity danced-around as being God Almighty (though G-A simultaneously no-sold it,) the entity which is clearly intended to be the Devil implied that although it was capable of destroying 682 in a manner which would leave Earth, humanity, human civilization, and the rest of the universe intact, the price it would demand was essentially unpayable; a djinn took it in trade for a parakeet, but later returned it without comment, it defeated two forms of slenderman in one-on-one combat, no-sold being compressed into neutronium, fled from the rabbit of caerbannog (and somehow nobody considered confining it such that it could not flee,) and so forth and so on.

It's clearly somebody's Sacred Cow, and they have the authority to prevent it from being slaughtered and served up.

You may find it helps to imagine all the extermination attempts being performed by either Wile E. Coyote or the 3 stooges. It makes the list quite hilarious.
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (FuelDrop @ Sep 27 2013, 03:15 AM) *
You may find it helps to imagine all the extermination attempts being performed by either Wile E. Coyote or the 3 stooges. It makes the list quite hilarious.

I am partial to Wile E. Coyote, Super Genius, myself...
The 3 Stooges were just dumb. eek.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012