Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: VR and Rigging
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Odsh
How many bonus dice do you get for rigging in hot-sim, is it 1 or 2?

p.230 (The Matrix):
When you are in hot-sim VR mode, you use your Data Processing + Intuition as your Initiative and you get +4D6 Initiative Dice (remember that any enhancements or bonuses cannot take you past the maximum of 5D6 Initiative Dice). You receive a +2 dice pool bonus to all Matrix actions, and you take biofeedback damage as Physical damage.

p.266 (Riggers):
If you’re using hot-sim, you get +3D6 (4D6 total) Initiative dice, and a +1 dice pool bonus that applies to all Matrix test (including Vehicle actions), but all biofeedback damage is Physical damage.

At first I thought the rigger would only get 1 dice pool bonus, unlike the decker who gets 2. But the second quote mentions "all Matrix test", so I guess this is an error, maybe a SR4 rule that wasn't adapted?
SpellBinder
Was just looking at the vehicle rules. There are no bonus dice for AR/VR and driving a vehicle for vehicle tests. What you get is a +2 to Handling, which basically means your Limit is increased by 2.

Reference page 201.
Odsh
So the quote from p.266 is erroneous? Why couldn't you have both, a limit and a dice pool increase?
The rule you reference is applicable to anybody piloting a vehicle through VR. I don't see why it would invalidate or be incompatible with another rule giving bonus dice to riggers jumped into a vehicle.
SpellBinder
Well, deckers don't get the bonus because vehicle tests are not matrix tests. Then it must be erroneous that in a classless system that a rigger archtype would get a bonus a decker archtype (or any other) does not. Otherwise any street sam or gun bunny can say "I'm a rigger!" and get a +1 dice pool bonus to vehicle tests while in VR. spin.gif

The only way I can see it making sense (and it's late for me, and I'm about to go to bed after this) is if the Control Rig implant also gave a flat +1 bonus to VR Vehicle tests in addition to increasing the limit to those tests. Unfortunately at the moment I cannot find a direct relation here, so can only see this as an inferred bonus granted by having the brain implant.
Dolanar
Actually Spellbinder, a Rigger who is jumped in treats Vehicle Tests as Matrix Tests:

pg266: "When you’re jumped into a vehicle or other device, you’re in Virtual Reality mode. The control rig allows you to treat Vehicle actions the same way you treat Matrix actions, so any bonus you get to Matrix actions also apply to Vehicle actions when you’re jumped in; this includes Vehicle Control Tests, Gunnery Tests, and Sensor Tests"

The beginning of that section states that Rigger's follow special rules, so I would assume that the +1 is intended for Riggers.
SpellBinder
Yeah, assume. I would to, but you know the saying about assumptions. nyahnyah.gif

I'd still houserule it and say that the +1 DP bonus is part in parcel with using a Control Rig and being jumped into the vehicle. Otherwise it's arguable that deckers, technomancers, and anyone else running hot simmed and trying to drive or control their vehicle gets the +1 DP bonus.
Dolanar
yeah we're agreeing, a Decker in Hot Sim VR gets +2 on all Matrix Actions, but a Rigger who is jumped in using Hot Sim VR gets a +1 on all Matrix Actions, but they also get to treat vehicle actions as Matrix Actions. So a Rigger gets less, but they can use it on more things.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012