Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: PIRATES!
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
FuelDrop
It looks like our group is going to be getting a new player next Sunday. He's young, and has never played a tabletop RPG in his life.

Now naturally this means that I want to do a fairly pink mohawk run for him, something with a simple objective and plenty of violence where there's no need to worry about the cops rocking up or legality or legwork or anything like that.

My idea is simple: Some second-rate pirates have pissed of the wrong people, so the group gets sent in to kill them and steal their stuff. I was going to have the fixer organize a paratrooper drop for them onto the pirate ship (because that's cool and I'm trying to hook the new guy), then have them fight their way to the bridge and sail the boat home. Fixer sells the boat and anything on it off, they get most of the money.

What pitfalls can you see in this plan?
mister__joshua
QUOTE (FuelDrop @ Sep 30 2013, 07:41 AM) *
What pitfalls can you see in this plan?

Not enough submarines.
FuelDrop
QUOTE (mister__joshua @ Sep 30 2013, 04:58 PM) *
Not enough submarines.

Curses! oh well, back to the drawing board.

Could you modify a dead Kraken to act as a sub?
mister__joshua
Maybe that's the best use yet for that new Handle Animal skill biggrin.gif
FuelDrop
QUOTE (mister__joshua @ Sep 30 2013, 05:30 PM) *
Maybe that's the best use yet for that new Handle Animal skill biggrin.gif

One of my players LOVES that skill. He's already got a hellhound, and now he's eyeing off a Cockatrice.
Dantic
That's just silly.
You don't para drop onto a pirate ship. You swing across on ropes with your monosword gripped firmly yet carefully between your teeth.
FuelDrop
QUOTE (Dantic @ Sep 30 2013, 05:59 PM) *
That's just silly.
You don't para drop onto a pirate ship. You swing across on ropes with your monosword gripped firmly yet carefully between your teeth.

We had someone who tried that once. We wrote on his tombstone "Topless Harry".
KCKitsune
QUOTE (FuelDrop @ Sep 30 2013, 06:02 AM) *
We had someone who tried that once. We wrote on his tombstone "Topless Harry".

That's why you use a monoKATANA/rapier anything else is silly. smile.gif
Remnar
I feel a MonoCutlass might be more appropirate in this particular situation.

WhiskeyJohnny
QUOTE (Dantic @ Sep 30 2013, 02:59 AM) *
That's just silly.

And the award for "Most Creative Use of SPIE Rig" goes to...

Oh, and make sure your fake SIN is for "Errol L. T. Flynn."
Daddy's Little Ninja
The idea of parachuting onto a boat, I just think of some cartoon where everything looks good until the ship suddenly turns to one side and there are a bunch of sharks with bibs, knifes and forks waiting in the water where the players are going to land.

Maybe going in by helocopter would work better or borrow from modern pirates and go in by speed boat.
Method
Maps
Jaid
QUOTE (Daddy's Little Ninja @ Oct 2 2013, 12:47 PM) *
The idea of parachuting onto a boat, I just think of some cartoon where everything looks good until the ship suddenly turns to one side and there are a bunch of sharks with bibs, knifes and forks waiting in the water where the players are going to land.

Maybe going in by helocopter would work better or borrow from modern pirates and go in by speed boat.

that would be a lot more of a concern if parachutes were impossible to direct.

of course, directing said parachutes is, shall we say, "problematic", when nobody ever bothers to learn the appropriate skill.

appropriate skillsofts, or perhaps an appropriate "drone" modification to allow the parachutes to pilot themselves where the occupant directs would solve the problem? nyahnyah.gif
FuelDrop
QUOTE (Jaid @ Oct 4 2013, 01:18 PM) *
that would be a lot more of a concern if parachutes were impossible to direct.

of course, directing said parachutes is, shall we say, "problematic", when nobody ever bothers to learn the appropriate skill.

appropriate skillsofts, or perhaps an appropriate "drone" modification to allow the parachutes to pilot themselves where the occupant directs would solve the problem? nyahnyah.gif

Have a plan for that. Going out of my comfort zone and using... magic.

Not because there isn't a tech solution, I'm just lazy.
FuelDrop
QUOTE (Method @ Oct 4 2013, 10:38 AM) *

Thanks. that'll be very helpful.
Remnar
Wingsuits. And Trolls.

No need for parachutes.

Though they might sink the boat on impact. cool.gif
kzt
Real world, landing on the deck of a typical merchant ship is hard. The ship has a bunch of obstacles sticking up that can catch your chute. So there is a small target that is difficult to land on. Plus the ship is usually moving, so you get interesting wind shifts during the last few seconds. Landing a group of people would require a LOT of space unless you land one at a time. This assume the crew didn't string cables and obstacles that would make parachuting or landing a helo on the ship nearly impossible.

So this presents a lot of chance for a really sudden end to the game. So use some sort of drone homing on a beacon planted on the ship. No skill rolls required by the player, and for the purpose of the scenario the actual pilot (drone or remote) makes his rolls and lands exactly where planned.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012