Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: stephen kenson hates you
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
mfb
why the hell is the Fix spell restricted to (Magic) kg? is kenson on crack? it even says in the spell description that you can use it to repair vehicles, but you'd need to initiate 149 goddamn times before you can use it on a Body 2 vehicle!
Nikoli
Or simply remove the broken part.
Kakkaraun
You wouldn't even need to remove it, would you?
mfb
broken part != broken vehicle. the descrip says "vehicle" not "parts of a vehicle, which the GM will have to figure out weights for, causing no end of argument from his players".

and, yes, you would. spells can't affect subtargets of a vehicle.
Nikoli
Yes, inside the vehicle, it's part of a large mass, too much kg around it.

Alone, it's still broken but it's own entity, subject to the spell more readily.
A Clockwork Lime
Micro drones are vehicles, too.

But overall, I agree. I wouldn't blame it entirely on Kenson though. I think a lot of the weirdness in the rules (especially in comparison to the flavor text) comes from editing when they decide they don't like how a rule works as written so slap a fix on to it. At least it seems that way.

EDIT: If I were writing it, I'd probably have limited to a Body equal to one-half the Force of the spell or lower for purposes of repairing vehicles.
mfb
this is now my "things which are crazy" thread.

my next street sam is going to have 500 perception die. go ahead, laugh. all it costs is 500k. see, the Olfactory Booster has no maximum level, and more levels of it don't cost extra essence, and each level provides +1 die for scent-based perception tests. with 500 dice, everything is a scent-based perception test. i will be able to smell the future.
A Clockwork Lime
Just make an adept with the same sense as an Improved Sense. You automatically gain it at its highest rating (if you go by the FAQs), so it would be inifinite dice.
Diesel
God. Damn. I am using that character.
Moonwolf
That's so broken it's funny.
mfb
...i'd thought about that, lime, but i was mistakenly thinking it'd be limited by magic rating. it wouldn't be, though; Olfactory Boost would be 1 level of the power. the number of dice it adds would be irrelevant.
TinkerGnome
Drop the weight line for vehicles. It's silly. The TN for affecting a vehicle is INSANE, so it's not like it'll be unbalanced. You're looking at a TN of 8 + body + armor/2 (round down). So a standard model Bulldog would be TN 13... which is damn hard to fix. God help you if you try to fix a citymaster (TN 18).
Moonstone Spider
I always figured "Fix" was aimed at fixing the Rigger's VCD rather than his vehicles.

Rigger: "#$%^! A roll of 1s!"
GM: "You trip and drop your deck. It slides across the ground. An Ares Mobmaster drives over it."
Mage: "FIX!"
A Clockwork Lime
Too bad most decks weigh more than 6kg with all the accessories added on. smile.gif
Fresno Bob
Thats not that heavy...
A Clockwork Lime
It is for for the Fix spell.
Moonstone Spider
QUOTE (A Clockwork Lime)
Too bad most decks weigh more than 6kg with all the accessories added on. smile.gif

Fix the accesories seperately.
A Clockwork Lime
I'm well aware of workarounds. Not looking for suggestions on how to deal with it, just pointing out the fact that even with a deck, it's a useless spell since you have to take the whole thing apart just to "fix" it anyway.
Kakkaraun
I just thought of something really funny. One of the posters here on DSF has a signature that's a parody of the lines in Pulp Fiction where Tarantino is talking about storing the "dead [black man]" in his house, but "rigger" is substituted for [black man] (it's a pun!). So...is Kenson in the KKK?

I dunno. /I/ thought it was funny.
Paul
That would be Scamp, who is I am assured, most assuredly is not Steven Kenson. smile.gif
TheScamp
Lies!
Lantzer
QUOTE (A Clockwork Lime)
I'm well aware of workarounds. Not looking for suggestions on how to deal with it, just pointing out the fact that even with a deck, it's a useless spell since you have to take the whole thing apart just to "fix" it anyway.

I wouldn't say it's totally useless - it's not like you need proper tools, spare parts, work environment, time, or even expertise on how the bloody deck works.
A Clockwork Lime
Well, sure, if you default to Intelligence and don't mind an outrageous target number for not having the proper tools and doing so in a bad environment on top of that. smile.gif

And if you do have the tools, the time, and the skill to take it apart, you might as well repair it yourself rather than wasting the time and Karma to learn a spell to do it for you. At best, the spell just saves you a couple hours of work and maybe some cash on spare parts.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012